The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

10 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its mad isnt it but i think PR would shift politics quite far to the right in the UK, can see a very real scenario where these reform types pick up 10/12 seats because of people who believe things written on a bus and it lets them hold the balance of power. 

On the contrary, I think it would clip the wings of any far right party.  Parties that are supposedly on the left would win more often or at least together would win more often.

At the moment the Tories are so frightened of Farage they do what he wants without him having any MPs at all.

I think it is FTFP that makes the UK look more right wing than it really is.

19 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

PR is right and proper, but yes, at Westminster just now it might have unintended quincequonces.

I read that as "quincenonces" and was almost about to stand up for the National Front/BNP/Referendum/Veritas/UKIP/Brexit/REFUCK parties, you monster.

(I know I'm bound to have missed a few incarnations of the Monster Raving Racist Party there, so apologies)

21 minutes ago, Johnny Martin said:

It's either going to be that or Farage being welcomed into the Tories.

The scene is being set :)

Think Farage arriving would see the total split of the party with centralist MPs heading for Labour and the Lib Dems, they currently more of an opposition to themselves as they about half a dozen self-interested factions than the official opposition in the Commons as they fight over the Rwanda Bill.

So if Farage arriving would totally destroy and split them apart - I'm happy to chip in for his taxi fare, anyone else?

11 hours ago, Fullerene said:

On the contrary, I think it would clip the wings of any far right party.  Parties that are supposedly on the left would win more often or at least together would win more often.

At the moment the Tories are so frightened of Farage they do what he wants without him having any MPs at all.

Well what we seem to be seeing in a lot of european countries like Netherlands is far right parties increasing their grip and influence so im not sure i agree. 

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

Think Farage arriving would see the total split of the party with centralist MPs heading for Labour and the Lib Dems, they currently more of an opposition to themselves as they about half a dozen self-interested factions than the official opposition in the Commons as they fight over the Rwanda Bill.

So if Farage arriving would totally destroy and split them apart - I'm happy to chip in for his taxi fare, anyone else?

Sounds nice, but in reality they'll go along with whatever keeps them in their job and making money, even if it means enabling the glorious second chapter of unelected Chancellor Farage. They may disagree on other issues, but come together in the name of personal enrichment. Meanwhile, Labour split off into different splinter groups every few elections.

Looks like there have only been two Conservative MPs who've crossed over to the Lib Dems in the party's entire existence, and neither of them lasted long: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elected_British_politicians_who_have_changed_party_affiliation

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Well what we seem to be seeing in a lot of european countries like Netherlands is far right parties increasing their grip and influence so im not sure i agree. 

They might increase their numbers but they can't do much with it.  With FPTP who knows what the Netherlands be like.  Maybe Wilders being leader due to the freak way the system can disproportionately reward one party more than others.

14 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Was there not an election where UKIP got more votes than SNP and got 50 less MPs, or something?    Sometimes it works.

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

I read that as "quincenonces" and was almost about to stand up for the National Front/BNP/Referendum/Veritas/UKIP/Brexit/REFUCK parties, you monster.

(I know I'm bound to have missed a few incarnations of the Monster Raving Racist Party there, so apologies)

My apologies. It's a Spike Milligan usage that I've always liked.

8 hours ago, Mr Waldo said:

Was there not an election where UKIP got more votes than SNP and got 50 less MPs, or something?    Sometimes it works.

Maybe but I always thought that the credibility of the SNP rested mainly on its strength in the Scottish Parliament rather than it bloated presence at Westminister.

Also I despise UKIP and similar but I actually think they would be  damaged by operating out in the open instead of hiding in the shadows influencing public opinion while pretending they have no platform.

Anyone who is pleased that FPTP keeps UKIP out is basically saying "God bless the Tories."

35 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Maybe but I always thought that the credibility of the SNP rested mainly on its strength in the Scottish Parliament rather than it bloated presence at Westminister.

Also I despise UKIP and similar but I actually think they would be  damaged by operating out in the open instead of hiding in the shadows influencing public opinion while pretending they have no platform.

Anyone who is pleased that FPTP keeps UKIP out is basically saying "God bless the Tories."

Or, "I like democracy, but not too much of it".

Everyone should've been worried when the proto-fascists started picking up larger voter share with no representation outside of regional government. It only plays into their surreal oppression fantasies.

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Pretty much what happened to the BNP. Griffin getting on Question Time did them much more harm than good.