Clyde vs East Fife

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was nice to be back at Broadwood today. I can’t really say we were much fancied, based on our lack of a decent left-back and our pre-season results.

I’d have taken a point before the game and I’m happy enough with it after the game too. Today absolutely shows the level that we must raise our game to. No disrespect to East Fife but as a likely mid-table team, it was streets ahead of anything we faced last season. We really need to cut out all sorts of daft mistakes from our game, and fast.

1st half we were the better team, 2nd half East Fife were better. Across the 90 minutes, a draw’s probably fair. Interesting debut from Petkov, some good things and some bad. Hopeful that there’s something there to work with mind you. Goodwillie still clearly not fully fit too. All in all, I’m looking forward to the game next week.

Final point, the new pitch didn’t look brilliant but seemed to play okay. I’m assuming once some of the rubber is broken into it’ll look better.

1 hour ago, Adolfo Rios said:

Cheating? Please explain.

Attempting to effect elements outside the rules of the game ie your keeper refusing to give us the ball for a free kick in our own half after about 60 mins. Reminded me of Porto v Celtic 2003

Decent enough game with both sides going for the three points. Clyde looked well organised and potentially good middle to front. Raymond Grant seems like a prospect, although he faded after the break when we started to take control in midfield. I think Clyde should have enough to avoid a relegation battle...

Was disappointed by the fife in the first half, thought we were incredibly poor. Much better second half, case of roles being reversed. Dowds better be starting next week, Wallace played well today as well. Looks like Goodwillie is miles off the pace at the moment, Johnston the standout player for me for Clyde.

Have to say that Astro looked rotten as well

That defence is an absolute atrocity.

What else can Martin McNiff do wrong to make the blinkers fall off Danny Lennon's eyes - he has been dreadful since the first pre-season ball was kicked and continued true to form today. Not convinced by Cuddihy currently, hopefully a wee run for Kieran Duffie in the team. We desperately, desperately need a much higher standars of defending to stay in this league.

The first half in particular was great to watch at times, I think with Kris Syyvertsen (sorry if it's spelled wrong Kris...), Goodwillie and Rankin back we'll look much more comfortable.

All I've wanted to see is D.L. Smith & Goodie upfront together - hopefully we will be treated to this sooner than later. DLS is wasted at RM.

Players said the pitch was sticky but that was labeled at ours initially. It will bed in & be a lot slicker in a couple of months. Game just showed how difficult League one will be this season

Attempting to effect elements outside the rules of the game ie your keeper refusing to give us the ball for a free kick in our own half after about 60 mins. Reminded me of Porto v Celtic 2003

Yes, no East Fife player kicked the ball away during the match...nope...not one....Nor did any East Fife players rattle the ball into the Clyde fans after the ball had already went out of play...nope...that never happened either. [emoji849]

On the football, was pretty open by neither keeper really had many saves to make. There was 4 or 5 minutes in the second half were both teams forgot how to do anything and it got very, very scrappy. Either side of this some descent stuff was played by both at times.

A few players still to come back for us, a few still a few weeks off top fitness. A point isn’t that bad all things considered.

Agree with Scott's post.

We got sloppy in the second half, with most players giving the ball away poorly at some point. Goodwillie was near redundant at point, just through his lack of fitness, which really didn't help so hopefully Syvertsen's injury isn't too bad.

It was made worse as we played Wallace as a wide target man, but he barely won a header all day.

A draw was fair though, and I would expect plenty more tight games through the season that could easily go either way. There's certainly something there to build on.

Yes, no East Fife player kicked the ball away during the match...nope...not one....Nor did any East Fife players rattle the ball into the Clyde fans after the ball had already went out of play...nope...that never happened either. [emoji849]

On the football, was pretty open by neither keeper really had many saves to make. There was 4 or 5 minutes in the second half were both teams forgot how to do anything and it got very, very scrappy. Either side of this some descent stuff was played by both at times.

A few players still to come back for us, a few still a few weeks off top fitness. A point isn’t that bad all things considered.

Won’t lie seeing Higgins boot that ball at the Clyde end was comical

39 minutes ago, lukejoaitken said:

Won’t lie seeing Higgins boot that ball at the Clyde end was comical

I was disappointed to see him apologies aftewards. On a more serious note clyde tried to stop the game at every oppertunity and i cant remember them going for 3 points outwith the first 10 minutes. Wallace should have scored shortly after the penalty and as much as we were poor first half we still got ourselves into dangerous attacking positions which clyde never really apart from Goodwillies offside header. Second half was very much clyde sitting in and breaking. Duggan looked really bad today and its clear to see it should be Dowds and Wallace for the time being. Dunsmore was very quiet and Murdoch improved as the game went on but Watson should be making the position his own as of next week. The goalkeeper situation is great aswell and i dont know myself who deserves to start more next week. Cant grumble with a point away from home against an okay Clyde side but it might be a long season for them if Goodwillie gets injured. 

listened to lennons post match apparently it was wallace not mcniff that was at fault no change their , even game draw probably a fair result thought petkov looked a player , johnston joy to watch , mcstay and grant good in patches smith as well East fife look a reasonable team should be looking to play offs
In mitchell at last after many years we have a right good goalkeeper
omwards and upwards

Decent enough point although I thought we were generally well below the standard we set in the last three league cup games.

Clyde definitely edged the first half although I thought we more or less dominated the second and, a couple of breaks and corners aside, Clyde didn't offer much and we really should have nicked it. Too many players just that wee bit off the pace in terms of final ball / decision-making.

Dunlop and Higgy were superb at the centre of defence. Thought we were poor in the full back areas. Murdoch was getting caught in possession a lot in the first half and Slattery had his poorest game in a while. Although to be fair, Johnston was Clyde's standout player and he tended to be on Pat's side a lot.

Not Duggan's day today and we looked a lot more dangerous when Dowds came on. Wallace had a good game. He looks fitter than he did last season at Arbroath. 

Appreciate a fit Goodwillie might give Clyde an extra dimension but on that performance, I doubt they'll trouble the top four. Should have enough to stay up though. Johnston is a cracking wee player and was quite impressed with Grant in the first half as well. 

Decent enough point although I thought we were generally well below the standard we set in the last three league cup games.
Clyde definitely edged the first half although I thought we more or less dominated the second and, a couple of breaks and corners aside, Clyde didn't offer much and we really should have nicked it. Too many players just that wee bit off the pace in terms of final ball / decision-making.
Dunlop and Higgy were superb at the centre of defence. Thought we were poor in the full back areas. Murdoch was getting caught in possession a lot in the first half and Slattery had his poorest game in a while. Although to be fair, Johnston was Clyde's standout player and he tended to be on Pat's side a lot.
Not Duggan's day today and we looked a lot more dangerous when Dowds came on. Wallace had a good game. He looks fitter than he did last season at Arbroath. 
Appreciate a fit Goodwillie might give Clyde an extra dimension but on that performance, I doubt they'll trouble the top four. Should have enough to stay up though. Johnston is a cracking wee player and was quite impressed with Grant in the first half as well. 

Agree. Clyde dominated the midfield in the first half.
We were poor in first half but should of scored as we missed an easy chance.

Our fullbacks had a poor day at the office today. We were much better in the second half particularly when Dowds came on and he scored an excellent goal- was a-bit disappointed that after that goal he was asked to play almost left midfield!- this was maybe to combat Clyde in midfield and frankly Wallace looked really tired last 20- but he is at his most dangerous as a CF.

A point first game of the season is better than past years though- need to go on a home winning run now and do hope Watson gets back in the team - hasn’t played since that fantastic win and performance away to Dundee Utd who did well today(mind you that applies to a couple of others which seems a tad strange!)

Clearly a massive step up today compared with basically every Broadwood match since last Christmas, and one of the problems with only signing players from League 2/below (bar Mitchell), is that they all need to try and move into a different gear. That said, although East Fife were probably the better side for longer, they didn't create much either. A point each probably fair.

The big issue for me is that we've not learnt a huge amount from the League cup games. We played okay first half but East Fife stuck Watt on Grant at half-time and we couldn't find any way to then play out from the back. It was exactly the same against Airdrie. The number of kicks that Mitchell managed to direct on top of Johnston was ridiculous, the ball just kept coming back onto us.

Mitchell is doing a good job so far even if his distribution isn't as consistent as Currie's, he's better at all other facets of the game. Cuddihy looked like he'll be out a few weeks with a hamstring injury and we'll miss him, even if he was bang average today. Petkov played well apart from one Tom Lang moment when he tried to dribble around the whole East Fife side. I think Rumsby will struggle in this league, looked like he was caught on his heels at the goal (and a few other times). McNiff could maybe have done better at the goal but I think it was Johnston who was weak in the challenge up the pitch, and Rumsby as well. East Fife didn't really take advantage of him playing left-back.

Grant had a good first half, quieter second when man-marked. McStay had a good game after the first five minutes and looks like he's getting back towards fitness. Smith and Johnston both drift in and out of the game, good quality at times but still not on the same wavelength as some of the others. Wallace is average at everything; that probably makes him a decent player. Goodwillie......if his ankle is still sore, I've no idea why he's been playing against Bonnyrigg and Partick Thistle. He looked a lot fitter today than against Thistle, but equally as poor. on the ball.

The subs bench is a bit of a warning as well. Not much on there apart from Lamont.

Archived