Livi v Motherwell

2 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Honestly I don’t understand how anyone can enjoy football on that abomination of a pitch. Maybe Livi fans are happy because they are now used to it and the style of football it brings. Last  seasons cup game  was spent guessing how high the rubber would reach every time the ball was kicked, we were told it would bed in and get better, it certainly has not. You can’t play good football on the ground regardless, the surface does not allow that to happen. I get that it’s about money and Livi don’t have the support to sustain top flight football without it but my god the sooner these synthetic pitches are banned in top flight football in Scotland the better. Sorry but I don’t go to games to watch players trying to stifle good flowing football, I go to actually enjoy watching good  football. This is the Premiership, not Scottish league two.

YAWN

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

YAWN

Listen I get it, you have heard it all before, it’s boring, but sadly it’s also true. You don’t like the fact it keeps getting highlighted. I’m delighted every time it gets highlighted, the more the better because at some stage those that run football in Scotland will get the message when they realise you can see more football been played at Albion Rovers on that joke of a pitch than at some Premiership games.

10 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Listen I get it, you have heard it all before, it’s boring, but sadly it’s also true. You don’t like the fact it keeps getting highlighted. I’m delighted every time it gets highlighted, the more the better because at some stage those that run football in Scotland will get the message when they realize you can see more football been played at Albion Rovers on that joke of a pitch than at some Premiership games.

Aye....ok.

Wasn't too long ago Motherwell had a pitch that resembled Ayr beach with the amount of sand on it...Livi's pitch is the same regardless of the weather/time of year/ how many games are played on it

Just now, Cptn Hooch said:

Aye....ok.

Wasn't too long ago Motherwell had a pitch that resembled Ayr beach with the amount of sand on it...Livi's pitch is the same regardless of the weather/time of year/ how many games are played on it

Having a really bad grass pitch is not really a great reason for going synthetic. You should look at improving the quality of the playing surface of the grass pitch, Motherwell is obviously a very good example of a small club doing just that. You are correct that the Livi pitch is the same regardless of of the weather ( that’s not a plus).

The pitch didn't stop us playing good football and cutting Motherwell open on several occasions yesterday. Similarly Motherwell had several good moves throughout the game.

Yer da Yorky appears to be yet another who doesn't understand that it's actually our players that stop opponents from playing football with the intensity they display.

2 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

The pitch didn't stop us playing good football and cutting Motherwell open on several occasions yesterday. Similarly Motherwell had several good moves throughout the game.

Yer da Yorky appears to be yet another who doesn't understand that it's actually our players that stop opponents from playing football with the intensity.

This.

We don't just go out to stifle opposition players, we do that naturally with the intensity of our pressing game, but once we've done that we get the ball on the deck and pass it through opposition players to get at their goal. I absolutely love how we play, and the fact other teams hate playing us makes it all the better, because they know they're in for a really tough game.

Blaming the pitch is just a cop out and lazy excuses.

15 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Aye....ok.

Which wasn't our fault, and which we did everything in our power to rectify for the benefit of everyone who plays on it.

It was also 12 years ago.

@LiviLion Like was said above, we get why it's a massive *yawn* for fans like yourselves, Killie, Hamilton etc...but you surely must see (objectively), that it's not enjoyable to watch regardless of the result? Nothing at all to do with us not winning yesterday, as one of my main surprises was coming on here after the game and reading how many Livi fans enjoyed the game. Can you honestly say that's a game you were happy to watch (irrespective of the result)?

If so, then fair enough I can't dispute what someone else says they enjoyed, but I can't get my head around anyone from either side coming away from yesterday thinking "Yeah that was a good game" and feeling like it was worth watching.

To re-emphasise, i'm referring to anyone that was there as a fan of either club, nothing to do with the result.

5 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Yer da Yorky appears to be yet another who doesn't understand that it's actually our players that stop opponents from playing football with the intensity they display.

We will agree to disagree on the term “ good football” 

1 minute ago, Al B said:

Which wasn't our fault, and which we did everything in our power to rectify for the benefit of everyone who plays on it.

It was also 12 years ago.

@LiviLion Like was said above, we get why it's a massive *yawn* for fans like yourselves, Killie, Hamilton etc...but you surely must see (objectively), that it's not enjoyable to watch regardless of the result? Nothing at all to do with us not winning yesterday, as one of my main surprises was coming on here after the game and reading how many Livi fans enjoyed the game. Can you honestly say that's a game you were happy to watch (irrespective of the result)?

Other than going back to the keeper a little too often....yes...I'd watch that kind of game every week.

2 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

This.

We don't just go out to stifle opposition players, we do that naturally with the intensity of our pressing game, but once we've done that we get the ball on the deck and pass it through opposition players to get at their goal. I absolutely love how we play, and the fact other teams hate playing us makes it all the better, because they know they're in for a really tough game.

Blaming the pitch is just a cop out and lazy excuses.

It really isn’t. But I get how you feel you have to defend it.

I've kind of stopped moaning about artificial surfaces as I think they are always an all too convenient excuse and in any case, I think the problem with them is lessening over time. The younger players in our team will have been playing on these surfaces since they were 5 years old and they are perfectly natural on them - Davie Turnbull spent 30 mins pinging outrageous passes all over Accies' pitch last season for example.

What I think is (hopefully) uncontroversial, is that having a slow artificial pitch plays to Livi's strengths (they are doing exactly what we did in our double cup final season) - it enables them to close down space and make it a physical battle which they are well suited to winning - we've seen what they are like when the tables are turned on the bowling green at Fir Park where they took a couple of chasings last season.

If we were good enough yesterday, we could have played our way, but we weren't and so we've no right to complain...

38 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Honestly I don’t understand how anyone can enjoy football on that abomination of a pitch. Maybe Livi fans are happy because they are now used to it and the style of football it brings. Last  seasons cup game  was spent guessing how high the rubber would reach every time the ball was kicked, we were told it would bed in and get better, it certainly has not. You can’t play good football on the ground regardless, the surface does not allow that to happen. I get that it’s about money and Livi don’t have the support to sustain top flight football without it but my god the sooner these synthetic pitches are banned in top flight football in Scotland the better. Sorry but I don’t go to games to watch players trying to stifle good flowing football, I go to actually enjoy watching good  football. This is the Premiership, not Scottish league two.

Certainly was happy with us beating Hibs and Sevco on it yep, and absolutely humping Hearts 5-0 too.

Also enjoyed us being the first team to take a point against Hearts at Tynecastle last season, and getting our first point against Celtic at Celtic park, playing the exact same way we do on our plastic pitch, regardless of the pitch being grass or plastic, I love how our players play and it has got us back to back promotions and a comfortable 1st season in the top flight.:guinness

3 minutes ago, Al B said:

I'm not sure why I must not enjoy watching football on a synthetic surface. If it's a poor game on plastic, it would have been a poor game on grass. Moaning about the pitch is an easy excuse for managers/players because fans just lap it up. Yesterday's game was decent for a 0-0, slow spells but also some good chances created and was end to end at times.

Do you honestly think those 2 teams would have played out a thriller if the pitch was a grass one? 

It's been done to death so here's the quick version: good grass > good plastic > bad grass > bad plastic.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Livi's surface, unless you care that much about a few black pellets.

4 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Other than going back to the keeper a little too often....yes...I'd watch that kind of game every week.

In that case, all I can say is fair enough.

1 minute ago, LiviLion said:

Do you honestly think those 2 teams would have played out a thriller if the pitch was a grass one? 

There's no way to know if it would have been a "thriller" as you put it, but I think both sides have players that are capable of much more than they were able to show yesterday.

2 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

I'm not sure why I must not enjoy watching football on a synthetic surface. If it's a poor game on plastic, it would have been a poor game on grass. Moaning about the pitch is an easy excuse for managers/players because fans just lap it up. Yesterday's game was decent for a 0-0, slow spells but also some good chances created and was end to end at times.

It's been done to death so here's the quick version: good grass > good plastic > bad grass > bad plastic.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Livi's surface, unless you care that much about a few black pellets.

Apart from the fact the ball runs incredibly slowly, the bounce is uneven to name only two things, I could go on. Would it have been a better game on a good quality grass pitch, it was last season at our place by a country mile on both occasions.

1 minute ago, Al B said:

There's no way to know if it would have been a "thriller" as you put it, but I think both sides have players that are capable of much more than they were able to show yesterday.

Why? What do you think stopped them playing yesterday?

Both teams played some good passing football, but cancelled each other out well.

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

I've kind of stopped moaning about artificial surfaces as I think they are always an all too convenient excuse and in any case, I think the problem with them is lessening over time. The younger players in our team will have been playing on these surfaces since they were 5 years old and they are perfectly natural on them - Davie Turnbull spent 30 mins pinging outrageous passes all over Accies' pitch last season for example.

What I think is (hopefully) uncontroversial, is that having a slow artificial pitch plays to Livi's strengths (they are doing exactly what we did in our double cup final season) - it enables them to close down space and make it a physical battle which they are well suited to winning - we've seen what they are like when the tables are turned on the bowling green at Fir Park where they took a couple of chasings last season.

If we were good enough yesterday, we could have played our way, but we weren't and so we've no right to complain...

We got a 1-1 draw with Lamie's goal wrongly being chopped off,  wouldn't say they were chasings playing at Fir Park.

The first half of that 3-2 match we set up wrong and got a chasing yeah,  but we closed the gap to one goal 2nd half. Also had 2 very credible results against the 2 in form teams at the time, taking the first points off Hearts at the start of the season at Tynnie, and also against Celtic later on in the season, playing on grass suited us just fine in those games.

We got promoted with a poor grass pitch, however it was more to do with the style we have played the last 3, as I said earlier, the plastic pitch is a cop out and folk not seeing it's how we press teams that makes them struggle against us, just don't want to give our players any credit, they'd rather look for something to blame for how their players had a poor game. 

8 minutes ago, Swello said:

Largely agree with your post but I think your key point would also be correct if we had an unwatered/slow grass pitch. 

Archived