St Johnstone vs Livingston - 10/08/2019

3 hours ago, Radford said:

He always looks lost in a one but Callum Hendry is actually proving himself a decent source of goals. He's only played 712 minutes since the start of last season (less than 8 full matches) but has scored 5 goals. Hopefully he can prove a good option off the bench or with a partner in certain games this season. 

Was thinking this yesterday, as a sub he makes an impact and provides goals.  He's athletic, runs the channels, works like mad, can win headers and can finish.  The big weakness is his hold up play, and playing as a lone striker he doesn't manage to bring others into the game often enough.

He's a player who would have benefitted massively from having Maclean alongside him for a season or two.

I'd like to see us play two up front against the bottom six teams, as I think Kane and Hendry or either with Kennedy would be a constant pest to any defence and bring us higher up the pitch. Neither of them have shown enough quality as the lone striker to bring others into the game yet we persevere with it.  They just end up completely isolated.

Was McMillan the boy who smashed Kane in the back of the head as he went to take a quick throw in?

Yeah he was, he was a lucky boy that Dallas was being incompetent all game cause he had committed at least 2 bookable offences before that where he was either late or cynical.
No that was Lamie trying to knock the ball out his hands...I have a feeling McMillan was off before that. He went off injured against Motherwell last week and was a doubt for this week so I'd imagine that's why he was taken off

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Lucky or character? Yesterday was the first time since 1972 that we've recovered from 0-2 at HT to take something from a top flight match. 

He always looks lost in a one but Callum Hendry is actually proving himself a decent source of goals. He's only played 712 minutes since the start of last season (less than 8 full matches) but has scored 5 goals. Hopefully he can prove a good option off the bench or with a partner in certain games this season. 

Cue Tommy sending him out on loan and using Kane as his impact sub.

I feel for Kane at times but he's had enough opportunities at this level. 

Hendry has done really well off the bench and when paired with another attacker. One of the biggest failures yesterday was to play with 1 striker isolated and no support from Swanson. We've tried countless times to get a midfielder to play off the striker in a no 10 e.g Scougall, Swanson, Spoony with little or no success purely because we aren't comfortable playing through the middle to feet.

21 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The big weakness is his hold up play, and playing as a lone striker he doesn't manage to bring others into the game often enough.

At reserves level, he would bully defenders and do the stuff you've mentioned well but he's just not strong enough yet for it to work in the first team. He didn't get a sniff in pre-season when he was up top on his own trying to be a focal point. That's just not going to work any time soon. 

I'm now more convinced than ever that we need two strikers but do believe the club will try to bring a couple in. Need McMillan out the door though.

36 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

No that was Lamie trying to knock the ball out his hands...I have a feeling McMillan was off before that. He went off injured against Motherwell last week and was a doubt for this week so I'd imagine that's why he was taken off

Yea, Lamie had appealed for a freekick after a push before the ball went out of play. I think he felt aggrieved at that and “smashed”/tried to disrupt Kane  from taking the throw in. 

With McMillan going off it  highlighted how much we are struggling for fit players at the back. Oddofin, Pepe, Savane out and no defenders on the bench, coupled with Lamie moving centrally. The break from league business, 2 games in, has maybe come at the right time 😂

1 hour ago, Widge said:

Yeah he was, he was a lucky boy that Dallas was being incompetent all game cause he had committed at least 2 bookable offences before that where he was either late or cynical.

I thought it was at first, but thinking back I'm sure it was Lamie.

Edit - sorry should have read further in the thread.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

25 minutes ago, crispy said:

Yea, Lamie had appealed for a freekick after a push before the ball went out of play. I think he felt aggrieved at that and “smashed”/tried to disrupt Kane  from taking the throw in. 

With McMillan going off it  highlighted how much we are struggling for fit players at the back. Oddofin, Pepe, Savane out and no defenders on the bench, coupled with Lamie moving centrally. The break from league business, 2 games in, has maybe come at the right time 😂

It was a very clever bit of play - MOH was motoring into your LB area and if Kane had got the throw away he’d have been. Into a very dangerous area with the defence totally out of position. Well worth the yellow.

14 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

It was a very clever bit of play - MOH was motoring into your LB area and if Kane had got the throw away he’d have been. Into a very dangerous area with the defence totally out of position. Well worth the yellow.

Agree it was worth a yellow and a clever foul IF that's what transpired,  but he didn't smash the ball out Kane's hands - intentionally or not he hit him on the back of the head. That's a straight red. 

Edit / it wasn't much of a strike so I guess you could say it was 'negligible' force, so perhaps a yellow. I'll concede that one. 

Anyway we all agree the ref was pish. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

Just watching the highlights of this one, credit to St. Johnstone for getting a draw but they still look like they could be in trouble this season.   Lawless had far too much space on their second goal and Livi forced Clark into some big saves (including the penalty which was not a good penalty).  The first St. Johnstone goal was a result of a bad error from Jacobs but saints still look to be all over the place.  Zander Clark the best player

Livi on the other hand look well organized and seem to have a bit more of an attacking flair this year.  The error from Jacobs aside I thought they looked good

10 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Just watching the highlights of this one, credit to St. Johnstone for getting a draw but they still look like they could be in trouble this season.   Lawless had far too much space on their second goal and Livi forced Clark into some big saves (including the penalty which was not a good penalty).  The first St. Johnstone goal was a result of a bad error from Jacobs but saints still look to be all over the place.  Zander Clark the best player

Livi on the other hand look well organized and seem to have a bit more of an attacking flair this year.  The error from Jacobs aside I thought they looked good

3 players still to come in, better than we already have, as long as they sign we'll be fine. If we get more of the signing sagas we've had, we're fucked.

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Heard they've all had a medical but have all fallen through at the last minute.

Think that's about 8 sets of training gear we've handed out to folk, at least we know they'll all wear them in the house n that because the Saints stuff is sexy as f**k this season.

Just now, tree house tam said:

Think that's about 8 sets of training gear we've handed out to folk, at least we know they'll all wear them in the house n that because the Saints stuff is sexy as f**k this season.

Replacing this training gear is going to cost us jewel number 3.

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Replacing this training gear is going to cost us jewel number 3.

As long as Tommy comes out and explains this at a press conference, specifically explaining Stevie May got 2 sets and hasn't gave them back and wants to wear one under his Dons top and one while pumping his missus, while also explaining he's a Fife gadgie, that'll do for me. 

54 minutes ago, AMBER MACHINE said:

Still absolutely seething that livi managed to only draw this.

I'm glad you are with me on this but I'm calming down now.

I watched the highlights last night and I am trying to take comfort (read: make excuses) in that the goals we conceded would be unlikely to repeat: Jacobs under hit a straightforward back pass; and, for the 2nd, both times a St J player had a shot it was after a Livi player had sent the ball in their direction. I hadn't quite appreciated that Lithgow's defensive header from the cross was going out of the box and hit Devlin before dropping to Kane and then Stewart pulled off a great reaction save only for it to land at Hendry.

You could argue the 2nd was % ball and that St J were looking precisely for a break like that, with more bodies in the box, as opposed to picking someone out so our first mistake was allowing the cross to come in (I don't recall there being much pressure on the crosser) and then maybe Lithgow should've put the header elsewhere.  Actually, when I put it like that our defending wasn't good enough/St J did enough to break through. Also, can't remember the score MOH had that almost certain goal blocked by Bartley...

Ultimately, can you really expect to win games at the top level if you hit woeful pens like that? No way. St Johnstone deserve credit for digging in that second half - never expected them to be pushovers.

Edited by crispy

Yeah all came down to Keaghan's mistake giving them a confidence boost and the belief they could get something from the game. Just have to take it on the chin and move on.

Some positives in our attacking midfield looking a decent goal threat though, Pittman will bag a good few goals if he plays as high up as that this season, that was classic Pittman getting on the end of that ball across the box.

Agree it was worth a yellow and a clever foul IF that's what transpired,  but he didn't smash the ball out Kane's hands - intentionally or not he hit him on the back of the head. That's a straight red. 
Edit / it wasn't much of a strike so I guess you could say it was 'negligible' force, so perhaps a yellow. I'll concede that one. 
Anyway we all agree the ref was pish. 

Looked a red all day long, sitting directly above, bet sportscene won't show that because it's against saints.

19 minutes ago, akuram said:

Looked a red all day long, sitting directly above, bet sportscene won't show that because it's against saints.

I've not seen the show, but apparently theyve highlighted Clark taking a step off his line at the penalty and said it should've been retaken, and ignored Kane getting his head melted.