St Mirren vs Aberdeen, 15:00 11/08

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Without wanting to go full Michael Stewart, I don't want that incident to be a penalty, for me he's trying to get out the way. However, the rules as they are I think it's definitely a penalty.

But it's a moot point, St Mirren won that game, it wasn't a smash and grab or a fluke, we lost that over 90 minutes and that should be a bigger concern from our perspective.

Finally.

Someone who gets it.👍

2 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

The penalty kick claim is a strange one. Flynn seems to have both arms out wide then brings his left one in to his body as the ball is struck towards him.

If he’d kept his arm out wide then the ball probably wouldn’t have struck it. But if it had, then it would have been a penalty as he’d have used his arms to be unnaturally large.

But as his arm was right into his body then it shouldn’t be a penalty unless you argue that he brought his arm in in order to deliberately handle the ball.

For me, it’s a split second natural reaction to bring your arm in in order to avoid the ball striking it. Therefore it’s not deliberate handball and his arms are not making him unnaturally big.

So, for me, correct decision and no penalty.

I would agree with you Jeremiah, but then the IFAB changed the rules and the Womans World Cup happened. The wording now states "it is usually an offence if a player touches the ball with their hand / arm when the hand / arm has made their body unnaturally bigger." It doesn't matter any more what direction the hand or arm is going in at the time the ball strikes the player or about the intent. 

During the womans world cup there were several examples of penalties being awarded that were less obvious that Ryan Flynns handball fortunately for St Mirren VAR isn't used in Scottish Football. 

Edited by Malky3

3 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

A sizeable chunk of the Aberdeen “travelling support” when they play in the West of Scotland actually live down here.

So no need to give them too much praise for travelling all that distance, bad weather, Sevco at home, etc.

I know you didn’t quote me, but seeing as how I was one of the people that posted praise for the Dons fans, I think it’s fair to say that it doesn’t matter if they came from Aberdeen, Glasgow, or anywhere in between. There were 1500 of them, and the facts are that it was pishing wet, and there was a Sevco home game with 55,000 just up the road. It was a scunner of a journey for me, a Saints fan from far-flung Cumbernauld. Negotiating Sevco traffic, a monsoon on the M8. It would have been easy for a lot of Dons fans to say ‘fcuk this for a game of soldiers’, but they didn’t, and packed out that stand. Fair do’s, that’s all I’m saying.

Edited by pozbaird

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Fortunately for everyone: it's a fucking shitshow and needs binning.

When it was first introduced a work colleague of mine suggested that it should be used like it is in tennis - where the opposition coach could contest up to three decisions, using VAR, per game. I thought that was an excellent idea, although it could be open to abuse as clubs try to wind the clock down at the end of a match.

I don't have a problem with the notion of instant punishment for a player who commits an offence but I would agree that during the Womans World Cup at least VAR + the rule changes made for an horrific tournament. 

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fortunately for everyone: it's a fucking shitshow and needs binning.

Watching English highlights last night was thinking managers , players , fans  ,it was easy to see tVAR will be booted out of England next year it has taken the game down there back the way. Make the goals a wee bit bigger give the fans something to cheer about. 

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I know you didn’t quote me, but seeing as how I was the one that posted praise for the Dons fans, I think it’s fair to say that it doesn’t matter if they came from Aberdeen, Glasgow, or anywhere in between. There were 1500 of them, and the facts are that it was pishing wet, and there was a Sevco home game with 55,000 just up the road. It was a scunner of a journey for me, a Saints fan from far-flung Cumbernauld. Negotiating Sevco traffic, a monsoon on the M8. It would have been easy for a lot of Dons fans to say ‘fcuk this for a game of soldiers’, but they didn’t, and packed out that stand. Fair do’s, that’s all I’m saying.

I spoke to a few going back to Rothesay on the ferry. They were far from happy well I have that t-shirt on many occasions .

We should never have lost to Hibs now we have beat Aberdeen Jim Goodwin tactics are spot on. Every time an Aberdeen player had the ball in our half we had a player on him right away. When we won the ball we attacked direct with three left. centre .right always someone to pass to. Goals are going to be coming bring it on.

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Quite.

Maybe you should try reading my post properly.

What did I miss?

9 minutes ago, leapinghalibut said:

or indeed how rude people can be when they feel hard done by

46 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

You should have scored maybe 4  and deservedly won

31 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

But it's a moot point, St Mirren won that game, it wasn't a smash and grab or a fluke, we lost that over 90 minutes and that should be a bigger concern from our perspective.

Any sensible Aberdeen fan I've spoke with or read regarding the game have said nothing other than a deserved win for the Buddies which i totally agree with.

9 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I know you didn’t quote me, but seeing as how I was one of the people that posted praise for the Dons fans, I think it’s fair to say that it doesn’t matter if they came from Aberdeen, Glasgow, or anywhere in between. There were 1500 of them, and the facts are that it was pishing wet, and there was a Sevco home game with 55,000 just up the road. It was a scunner of a journey for me, a Saints fan from far-flung Cumbernauld. Negotiating Sevco traffic, a monsoon on the M8. It would have been easy for a lot of Dons fans to say ‘fcuk this for a game of soldiers’, but they didn’t, and packed out that stand. Fair do’s, that’s all I’m saying.

Well once they've paid for the ticket, the average Aberdonian would drive through Hell itself to get the value from it. 

In fact now that you mention it, the majority will have driven through Govan....

Penalty debates are probably the most boring aspect of football analysis. It should have been a pen, it wasn't given. 10 out of 12 teams in the league will be on the shite end of these decisions every couple of weeks. That's fitba. St Mirren fans will be glad that they got away with one yesterday, just like we'll be glad down the line when someone gets a dodgy red and we go on to win.  Anyone who says they don't even themselves out over a season (barring two obvious exceptions) is a fuckin idiot. 

Well, if that was Kyle Magennis shooting, and that was Considine’s arm, and it wasn’t given, I’d have went mental at MacLean, as would 100% of the West Bank. Perhaps a few of the more upmarket patrons in the gentleman’s pavilion would have quietly shrugged and said ‘oh well, referees are only human’.... 

That’s my view - if that happens at the other end, we are going off our collective heads that it isn’t given. For me, stonewall penalty, and we dodged a bullet.

I also believe that if the same incident happens at our place against two certain other teams, then the referee would award a spot kick so fast that the away end wouldn’t even have time to ponder what school the ref’ went to.

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Well once they've paid for the ticket, the average Aberdonian would drive through Hell itself to get the value from it. 

In fact now that you mention it, the majority will have driven through Govan....

Penalty debates are probably the most boring aspect of football analysis. It should have been a pen, it wasn't given. 10 out of 12 teams in the league will be on the shite end of these decisions every couple of weeks. That's fitba. St Mirren fans will be glad that they got away with one yesterday, just like we'll be glad down the line when someone gets a dodgy red and we go on to win.  Anyone who says they don't even themselves out over a season (barring two obvious exceptions) is a fuckin idiot. 

Ahem, although this is an eminently sensible post I have never believed the 'it balnces itself out over the season mantra'.

I do however believe that consistency of performance and doing the right things will get you results more often than not over the course of a season, regardless of inconsistent refereeing decisions. Yesterday we simply were second best and although that penalty could and should have got us a point we deservedly lost in my opinion.

Ahem, although this is an eminently sensible post I have never believed the 'it balnces itself out over the season mantra'.
I do however believe that consistency of performance and doing the right things will get you results more often than not over the course of a season, regardless of inconsistent refereeing decisions. Yesterday we simply were second best and although that penalty could and should have got us a point we deservedly lost in my opinion.

Bang on. We were guff, we lost. We go again.

Was surprised the penalty wasn't given tbh. There was a similar(ish) one that wasn't given for Celtic just after they'd gone 4-1 up v Motherwell (it's in the highlights). Hopefully plenty of these incidents happen, just to see the consistency(which I doubt there will be)

Aye, but if the score had been close on that game you can be sure C*ltic would have got the penalty

ScholarlyInbornHarpseal-size_restricted.gif&key=bd216a2c5cdda5df81246e90fa36bf0cfd33794809976dbaee8ae55899531351

FANS WERE GREAT [emoji119][emoji119][emoji119] BOYS PUT IN THERE ALL TODAY [emoji109][emoji109][emoji109] IT WERENT ENOUGH IN THE END THOUGH [emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️GUTTED ABOUT THE PELANTY DECISION [emoji85][emoji85][emoji85] WE GO AGAIN [emoji95][emoji95][emoji95]

4 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

In order to deflect from that egregious use of  "we go again" ill post the following in the hope of bumping it out sight.  😉

so close Buddies ...will #4 make an appearance next week?

He plays in the same position as 16, so there's a decent chance.

14 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

In order to deflect from that egregious use of  "we go again" ill post the following in the hope of bumping it out sight.  😉

so close Buddies ...will #4 make an appearance next week?

Nah, Foley's start to life in a Saints shirt means he's not going to be dropped. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Nah, Foley's start to life in a Saints shirt means he's not going to be dropped. 

Not having a go at McGinn - never would - but it's clear the difference a bit of mobility has made there. Flynn can cover ground for days but it's unfair to expect him to do the defensive work of two players. We've been without a really good player in that role for a very long time. DM is my favourite position in any team - it's the hipster's choice - and I'm so excited.

On a wider note, it shows that the 'English lower-league cast-off' route can be successful, if it's done properly, and doesn't provide the basis of your entire squad, instead just adding a smattering of genuine quality here and there.