General Election Speculation

NotThePars

2 hours ago, Paco said:

One of the Tory MPs threatened with deselection has claimed that the Government want to lose votes in Parliament so they can call a ‘People v Parliament’ style election. It’s always been the plan.

Labour’s tactics have been a mixture of good and bad (mostly bad).  Agreeing to a GE before Brexit knowing that we can’t stop Brexit would be crazy.

If a Hard Brexit can’t be stopped Labour should wait a couple of months before agreeing a GE.

2 hours ago, Paco said:

One of the Tory MPs threatened with deselection has claimed that the Government want to lose votes in Parliament so they can call a ‘People v Parliament’ style election. It’s always been the plan.

It makes sense to me tbh, always thought that Boris was just going for an early election footing and needed to look as extreme as possible to appease Brexit Party but would ideally not have to deal with the consequences.

The one wrecking ball that needs to be activated is if the deselected Tories (assuming they don't shite it) club together as 'Independent Conservatives' or something similar for the election and run against Tory candidates. A fair number of them have very strong personal votes and would likely either challenge for the seat in their own right or deliver the seat to someone else.

Call Johnson's bluff now and hold a VOC. There's still time (just) to have an election result before October 31st. Can't see any of these legal or procedural manoeuvres working even if the opposition could agree on anything. Hopefully the Brexit Party would run and split the Tory vote.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Call Johnson's bluff now and hold a VOC. There's still time (just) to have an election result before October 31st. Can't see any of these legal or procedural manoeuvres working even if the opposition could agree on anything. Hopefully the Brexit Party would run and split the Tory vote.

The opposition just need to get into a room and agree on a caretaker, doesn't matter who it is, they just need to be doing the procedural stuff and taking control of the GE timing. They can do a raffle for all it matters (which would provide absolute scenes if someone like Blackford won it).

The worst thing would be if they fucked up and did the VONC and then didn't follow it with the VOC so it left Boris in control of timings. It really needs to be done this week.

17 minutes ago, harry94 said:

The opposition just need to get into a room and agree on a caretaker, doesn't matter who it is, they just need to be doing the procedural stuff and taking control of the GE timing. They can do a raffle for all it matters (which would provide absolute scenes if someone like Blackford won it).

The worst thing would be if they fucked up and did the VONC and then didn't follow it with the VOC so it left Boris in control of timings. It really needs to be done this week.

I’ve mentioned this before, but Corbyn should say right I’ll be PM, Blackford and Swinson will be deputy PMs and there will be a cross party cabinet and government for the x weeks before the election.  That could even include Tories.

That would be hard for Swinson to argue with.  

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The two weeks after the initial VONC aren't necessary if the process is planned.

Boris can't be the one to call the election as he can just delay the date to beyond 31st October.

12 minutes ago, harry94 said:

The two weeks after the initial VONC aren't necessary if the process is planned.

Boris can't be the one to call the election as he can just delay the date to beyond 31st October.

I’m assuming from that if the government lose a confidence vote then prorogation falls?

FWIW I don’t see a confidence motion being something the opposition parties will agree on even though it would stop Johnson in his tracks.

If there is a General Election it looks like all the opposition parties would have a second referendum central to their manifestos, with Corbyn restating that today. Will they be prepared to have an electoral pact though? That could be crucial.

33 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m assuming from that if the government lose a confidence vote then prorogation falls?

FWIW I don’t see a confidence motion being something the opposition parties will agree on even though it would stop Johnson in his tracks.

No idea about that tbh, tried to look it up but not found an answer anywhere. As far as I understand, parliament will prorogue next week, obviously the two week timer under the fixed term parliament act would hit that time frame so don't really know what would happen if the confidence vote was triggered but not resolved before then in a vote of confidence for another government. Interesting question though @Ad Lib?

Guest Bob Mahelp

There's a golden opportunity here for the SNP.

There's a GE coming, and there would have to be a bizarre turn events for them not to considerably increase the number of seats they'll win. 

The question is, are they brave enough to clearly state that a vote for the SNP is a mandate for a 2nd independence referendum ?  

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

There's a golden opportunity here for the SNP.

There's a GE coming, and there would have to be a bizarre turn events for them not to considerably increase the number of seats they'll win. 

The question is, are they brave enough to clearly state that a vote for the SNP is a mandate for a 2nd independence referendum ?  

They have to I think. They need their core support to turn up and then also won't likely be winning many votes by shying away from it anyway, the cat is already out of the bag.