The Treble Treble Troublers vs Lawrence Shankland F.C

Far from our best, particularly poor in the 1st half tho the 2nd at least more positive. Feel turner can’t be left out the starting 11, our link up play is so much better when he’s playing.

Have to give united a lot of credit, looks like they’ve got a great side together to match the money being spent. They’ve put in the performance of champions, only county and hibs have played to the same standard as they did today, with Dundee not clicking yet they should be winning this league comfortably.

Can see why the penalty was given but it’s odd that united handled on several occasions with outstretched arms and the only handball given was with turners had his arms pulled into his body.

That miss was hilarious. Incredible to miss from there.

We knew we’d have a tough start so having only a couple of points isn’t too disappointing tbh, however we now have a run of games that will really show if we can threaten the play-offs or if we’ll end up looking over our shoulder.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Dow was shite today. Wouldn’t give anyone pass marks apart from maybe Lewis Martin and Ashcroft. Dundee United were good, a level above, even, but we were so shit.

Was Martin the left back? He was shite. As was Ashcroft.  Apparently there were some deluded souls touting him as the best centre half in the division not so long ago.

On 18/08/2019 at 12:40, parxyz said:

Looking forward to this one now. Hopefully should be a big crowd and a good atmosphere, given recent results.

Lewis Martin to get his first goal in 5 years in a 1-0 victory. Mon the pars.

Nope.

On 18/08/2019 at 14:47, DAFC. said:

Lewis Martin to win absolutely everything, Euan Murray to smash Shankland and Nisbet to get a brace in a 2-0 victory. Eazy dayz.

Nope.

On 19/08/2019 at 12:01, ArabianKnight said:

Got a feeling this will be the one where the Pars get a result. 

Nope.

On 23/08/2019 at 10:15, D.A.F.C said:

We will win this by two goals.

Change “win” to “lose” and that would be correct.

4 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Seems I'm in the minority but I don't think United were anything special, which is a bit worrying for us as they could have won by 4 or 5 and it wouldn't have been an unfair reflection on things. Shankland in particular will get the plaudits but he just doesn't look like a good footballer at all. Somehow he gets into great positions though and when the goalie helps you out, bang - two goals. His penalty was woeful though. Still think Clark is wasted playing in a wider position but it seems to be getting results and that is all Neilson and the United board will care about. McMullan was probably the stand out for me, he seems to have upped his game since last season. Pawlett's miss was sensational - had he fallen over the ball it would surely have went in - but he's clearly a fantastic option to have on the bench when our subs were basically a couple of kids and Danny Devine.

In terms of our "performance" - sheesh, where do we start? The shape and personnel were wrong, the defence looked on edge and couldn't deal with the press, Beadling had as poor a game as I can remember, Nisbet had one chance which he messed up but was so isolated it didn't matter what he could make of the long aimless punts to him, Ryan was terrible in about three different positions, Scully was back to his clown shoes best (why we are having him play out like Emerson or Neuer is one of life's mysteries), Lewis Martin was given no protection (I'd have kept Edwards in the team after last week) and it was only really the subs who get any credit from their cameos.

The only things I'd like to see again from the game today were two penalty incidents - the one given (and he was very quick to give it) looked very harsh as his hands appeared to be across his chest to negate the possibility of giving anything away and one not given at the other end when it looked like an outstretched arm blocked a shot. It likely would have made no difference but in a game with no real bad tackles I though the ref was quite poor and so I'd like to see if he at least got them correct.

You’re right pal he’s shite.  Those seven goals in three league games are fooling no one.

Was Martin the left back? He was shite. As was Ashcroft.  Apparently there were some deluded souls touting him as the best centre half in the division not so long ago.

Granted, Martin was a lot better in the second half. I do not recall anyone saying he was the best centre half. In fact, I was hopefully we would find another decent centre half to company Murray. As Murray is out, we look like we are relying on Morrison, who was beyond terrible today.

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

It seems that all you need to do against us is shut down the full backs and we resort to hoofball. United spent a bit of money but they are well drilled and hard working.
Not sure what the point of Clark out wide is though?

Covering till Pawlett is fit / we sign Frear. Most likely he'll drop to the bench within the next couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, coppola said:

Covering till Pawlett is fit / we sign Frear. Most likely he'll drop to the bench within the next couple of weeks.

Pawlett was rank rotten today.  I will forgive him the miss, these things happen, but he contributed nothing.

Although I'd like to see him chip in with scoring goals, from watching the arabzone goals clip that's another couple  that McMullan's set up today. I still don't think we can say his crossing is particularly reliable yet, but there has been an improvement in it this season. It's hard to say whether or not he'd be able to make the step up to the premiership if we do get promoted this season, but he's a nightmare for defences at this level and it's encouraging to see him nipping past the opposition and managing to pick out a man with a cross.

Especially when that man is Shankland. 😍

How can you say a striker that scores tons of goals isn't a good footballer? That's complete nonsense. I'll accept we didn't put up the sternest test he'll ever face but he ran our defence ragged today. I've seen a couple of folk praising Ashcroft and that's amazing to me as I thought he and Morrison both had absolute nightmares, alongside Beadling and Coley.

The gaps between defence and midfield, especially in the first half, were appalling. United played well so we might have lost anyway but there's no excuse for how timid we were. You don't need big wages to close the space and get in someone's face. We did improve a bit in the second half and created a couple of decent openings but I felt we made the simple stuff look very complicated and were actually quite fortunate to avoid a proper thrashing.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

Beadling was a total passenger. The flashes where Comrie got forward was where our chances looked like they were coming from, but we never did it enough. They looked as if they fired too much in to the Ceptic game and were blowing out their arse.

4 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Beadling was a total passenger. The flashes where Comrie got forward was where our chances looked like they were coming from, but we never did it enough. They looked as if they fired too much in to the Ceptic game and were blowing out their arse.

I wish he was just a passenger. It was basically an extra midfielder for United the amount of times he passed them the ball. I was certain Beadling and Coley would both have been subbed at the break.

I know they're a young team but they've had almost a full week to recover from the Celtic game and Crawford dismissed it being an excuse in his post-match.

How can you say a striker that scores tons of goals isn't a good footballer? That's complete nonsense. I'll accept we didn't put up the sternest test he'll ever face but he ran our defence ragged today. I've seen a couple of folk praising Ashcroft and that's amazing to me as I thought he and Morrison both had absolute nightmares, alongside Beadling and Coley.
The gaps between defence and midfield, especially in the first half, were appalling. United played well so we might have lost anyway but there's no excuse for how timid we were. You don't need big wages to close the space and get in someone's face. We did improve a bit in the second half and created a couple of decent openings but I felt we made the simple stuff look very complicated and were actually quite fortunate to avoid a proper thrashing.
Quite easily. Especially when people are touting him for a Scotland cap. He gets into good positions and is deadly in the six yard box but his general play, touch and pace are lacking at that level. Even his two goals today were fortunate in that a semi competent keeper would have saved both. There's a reason he ended up back in the Championship and not the Premiership or down south. The same could be said of el Bahktoui of course - scored loads of goals but never a footballer. Shankland will probably score 30 goals this season, but I can't see him reaching the top level unless he improves in the other aspects of his game.

Quite easily. Especially when people are touting him for a Scotland cap. He gets into good positions and is deadly in the six yard box but his general play, touch and pace are lacking at that level. Even his two goals today were fortunate in that a semi competent keeper would have saved both. There's a reason he ended up back in the Championship and not the Premiership or down south. The same could be said of el Bahktoui of course - scored loads of goals but never a footballer. Shankland will probably score 30 goals this season, but I can't see him reaching the top level unless he improves in the other aspects of his game.

Not sure if this is a whoosh, his hold up and link up play was brilliant today, I lost count of the number of times he layed someone off, touched it effortlessly round your defenders or won us free kicks or throw ins up the pitch.
He also should have had two assists, but for the finishing of Clark (when he cushioned a header down perfectly for him at the back post) and Pawlett (after having put your defender on his arse and put an inch perfect ball across goal).
To say Shanklands performance today indicated that he isn’t good enough to do a job in the premiership is ludicrous.

Shankland may well stroll this league but to suggest that that makes him worthy of a Scotland cap is just silly.

If he gets a move to the Premiership with or without United, and continues his goalscoring record then aye, you can start talking about him playing for the national team.

Shankland had some nice touches today but he still comes across as a bit sluggish.
United came out early for a pre planned warm up and shankland strolled out when it was finished.
He knows what to do at the right time and does it well. I think hes in the running for a Scotland call up. Andy Smith wasn't fashionable but scored all the time same as boyd. Goalscoring is a skill.

39 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Not sure whether you're on the wind up tbh.  I certainly don't think he should be in the Scotland squad but to say his touch was in any way lacking against us is crazy. I don't think he misplaced a single pass and constantly found space for himself, like a good striker should. I also am confused as to why any of that would matter when a fella has scored 7 goals in 3 league games.

I think the reason he ended up at United is because they were offering a lot of money, that other clubs wouldn't on someone untried at a higher level. If he continues at this rate then someone will definitely take a punt on him.