The Big Relegation Thread

Just having a look at the permutations for the post-split fixtures. Assuming the bottom six stays as is, Hearts, Ross County and St Mirren are all due 3 home games and Hamilton, St Johnstone and Kilmarnock are due 2.

In all likelihood, this would result in:

• Hamilton going to Ross County for a third time,
  • Hamilton also going to St Mirren for a third time,
  • Kilmarnock going to Hearts for a third time.

In practice, this means Hamilton only have 6 home games left, and only 3 against the rest of the bottom 6. They seem to pick up more points at home, so that could be a bit of a disadvantage for them.

Hearts, by contrast, still have 7 home games left, with 6 being against bottom 6 sides. Our record in these games this season so far is absolute shite, so changing that is the key for us.

Edited by DC92

29 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Just having a look at the permutations for the post-split fixtures. Assuming the bottom six stays as is, Hearts, Ross County and St Mirren are all due 3 home games and Hamilton, St Johnstone and Kilmarnock are due 2.

• Hamilton also going to St Mirren or Hearts for a third time,
  • Kilmarnock going to St Mirren or Hearts for a third time.

In practice, this means Hamilton only have 6 home games left, and only 3 against the rest of the bottom 6. They seem to pick up more points at home, so that could be a bit of a disadvantage for them.

Hearts, by contrast, still have 7 home games left, with 6 being against bottom 6 sides. Our record in these games this season so far is absolute shite, so changing that is the key for us.

Just to add to this, this is the current "mini table" for bottom half sides. 

Untitled.png.16e1b2fe325e6687320da46466428a1a.png

Obviously each team will end this table on 15 games by the time we reach the split.

St Johnstone have collected 4pts from 11 games against top half sides this season, no wins. 7 of their next 10 fixtures are against top half sides.

Feel like we'll be the next team dragged down to 11th.

Edited by RandomGuy.

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just to add to this, this is the current "mini table" for bottom half sides. 

Untitled.png.16e1b2fe325e6687320da46466428a1a.png

Obviously each team will end this table on 15 games by the time we reach the split.

Horrific reading. :lol:

For better or worse, we're a different proposition now, though. A home game on Wednesday against a team which will probably try to sit in and hit us on the break will give us a good idea of how the rest of the season's going to go, with five similar games to come after that.

Bit sad, but using every teams current "average points per game" against top half/bottom half, and going by the fixtures until the split/assuming bottom half stays the same teams, this is the "RG mathematically guessed final table"...

*I post this with the knowledge its heavily flawed by using results earlier in the season before transfers/returning injured players, I've only used Hearts results since they hired Stendel/Kilmarnocks since they hired Dyer, I'm aware that form might not continue and the sample size for those two is too small to be fair. Simply posting it as a matter of interest and as a sort of "mental target" of points I want Saints to aim for*

7. St Johnstone - 37

Spoiler

Top Half: 0.36ppg - 7 games remaining - 2 points - Bottom Half: 1.67ppg 8 games remaining - 13 points

8. Ross County - 37

Spoiler

Top Half: 0.54ppg 5 games remaining - 3 points - Bottom Half: 1.36ppg 9 games remaining - 12 points

9. St Mirren - 36

Spoiler

Top Half: 0.43ppg 4 games remaining - 2 points - Bottom Half: 1.5ppg 10 games remaining - 15 points

10. Kilmarnock - 34

Spoiler

Top Half: 0ppg 6 games remaining - 0 points - Bottom Half: 1ppg 8 games remaining - 8 points

11. Hamilton - 30

Spoiler

Top Half: 0.57ppg 4 games remaining - 2 points - Bottom Half: 1ppg 10 games remaining - 10 points

12. Hearts - 28

Spoiler

Top Half: 1ppg 5 games remaining - 5 points - Bottom Half: 0.5ppg 9 games remaining - 5 points

notes- Looks like 38 should be what everyone is targetting as a minimum. Both Hearts and Kilmarnock perform better if you use full season results instead of just under the new managers. Kilmarnock were 7th and Hearts 11th.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Bit sad, but using every teams current "average points per game" against top half/bottom half, and going by the fixtures until the split/assuming bottom half stays the same teams, this is the "RG mathematically guessed final table"...

*I post this with the knowledge its heavily flawed by using results earlier in the season before transfers/returning injured players, I've only used Hearts results since they hired Stendel/Kilmarnocks since they hired Dyer, I'm aware that form might not continue. Simply posting it as a matter of interest and as a sort of "mental target" of points I want Saints to aim for*

7. St Johnstone - 37

Spoiler

Top Half: 0.36ppg - 7 games remaining - 2 points - Bottom Half: 1.67ppg 8 games remaining - 13 points

8. Ross County - 37

Spoiler

Top Half: 0.54ppg 5 games remaining - 3 points - Bottom Half: 1.36ppg 9 games remaining - 12 points

9. St Mirren - 36

Spoiler

Top Half: 0.43ppg 4 games remaining - 2 points - Bottom Half: 1.5ppg 10 games remaining - 15 points

10. Kilmarnock - 34

Spoiler

Top Half: 0ppg 6 games remaining - 0 points - Bottom Half: 1ppg 8 games remaining - 8 points

11. Hamilton - 30

Spoiler

Top Half: 0.57ppg 4 games remaining - 2 points - Bottom Half: 1ppg 10 games remaining - 10 points

12. Hearts - 28

Spoiler

Top Half: 1ppg 5 games remaining - 5 points - Bottom Half: 0.5ppg 9 games remaining - 5 points

notes- Looks like 38 should be what everyone is targetting as a minimum. Both Hearts and Kilmarnock perform better if you use full season results instead of just under the new managers. Kilmarnock were 7th and Hearts 11th.

Pretty sure everyone other than Hearts fans would bite your hand off for that right now.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

I would be astonished if Hearts, with their current squad, only get another ten points.

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've only used Hearts results since they hired Stendel/Kilmarnocks since they hired Dyer, I'm aware that form might not continue and the sample size for those two is too small to be fair. Simply posting it as a matter of interest and as a sort of "mental target" of points I want Saints to aim for*

4 hours ago, DC92 said:

• Hamilton also going to St Mirren or Hearts for a third time,
  • Kilmarnock going to St Mirren or Hearts for a third time.

Really interesting reading.  I'd hope we get our post split game against Killy at our place.  They always bring a very decent crowd thru to Paisley.  

Whispers:  and most of the Killy fans I've met irl are a decent bunch of c***s.  Even if they're a bit too keen on the greatest hits of SEVCO.

Screenshot_20200205-214617_Chrome.thumb.jpg.82b5295c4538c19fbc0b8c84947329b4.jpg

Massive wins for St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Ross County. Probably games all them were considered underdogs in.

St Mirren and Hamilton both lose, really, while Hearts are the nights big losers.

Screenshot_20200205-214637_Chrome.jpg.d4fa939bd5d79a27d8c921c26c18728c.jpg

Hibs back in the mix more down to the feeling it would be unfair to include Kilmarnock and not them. Suspect both are now safe. Bottom two losing ground on 9th and above, while St Mirren are still in that weird area of being too close to feel safe, but too far away to be overly worried.

If 38 is a points figure that guarantees safety, some of those clubs now aren't far away with 13 games to go.

So this big Hearts turnaround I keep hearing and reading about.

That’s a points return of 5 from 4 games against St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Ross County and Rangers. That’s a terrible return, made even worse by the fact they only team they beat is in the top 6.

So, is the big turnaround still to come, or is this it...? Or are Hearts still the worst team in the league...