Dundee United vs Arbroath, The Biscuit Cup

lichtie23

41 minutes ago, gone fishing said:

Not a failure for Arbroath today the boys gave there all Galsons double save brilliant . Doris was a handful for the untied  defence won so many fouls Wheatley again solid in midfield tob and Ricky solid as usual young lad from hibs done well at right back shame he missed his pen.Bring on thistle on Friday night emoji106.png

Like it...hope their defence is properly untied in a couple of weeks time.

Arbroath fans must be really excited today, seeing their team going to play the world famous Dundee United.*

* No way this post is going to come back to bite me on the arse.

Thank you. I always love a hostage to fortune. I’m not brave enough to reciprocate in 2 weeks time.

To be honest, I've been to worse games and seen far, far worse United performances than that today. I enjoyed the match well enough, especially at only £5  for a student ticket. Admittedly, the atmosphere felt flat to non-existent, but that's obviously to be expected directly following on from such an enjoyable derby last week, and given that very few fans seem to be that fussed about this competition as winning the league this year is the overwhelming priority for us.

I can't say anyone who came in as part of the squad rotation made a particularly strong impression or suggested they could be pushing to break into the first team any time soon. The first real substantial look at King has left me thinking he'll probably be most useful as a late sub in tight games where we need to see out a result. He's tidy enough on the ball and his passing looked alright, but I can't see him overtaking Stanton, Butcher or Harkes in the pecking order for midfield places unless injuries/suspensions hit. Cammy Smith was decent, but it's the same old story that putting him out on the wing doesn't bring out the best of him. I'm increasingly inclined to think that Sporle's lack of game time or appearances on the bench has been done to let him settle at the club and ease any pressure on him while his English is still developing. He certainly didn't look like the total dud that some fans online wrote him off as from pre-season, although his persistent cutting inside whilst driving forward became rather predictable for Arbroath to defend against as the game went on. Watson tries hard but his limitations are clear. He's fine as cover for Smith at right-back just now, but I hope we don't have to rely him on covering at centre-half in the league much this season.

Appere gave probably the least effective performance I've seen from him over the league and pre-season games. He looked a little sluggish and his touch was frequently a little too heavy. However, his pace and physicality were still a bit of a nuisance for the Arbroath defence, especially in the second half. Their backline ultimately saw out the game much more comfortably once he was off. Seeing Robson take his place at centre-half at kick off had me fearing the worst, but he actually coped reasonably well and it's a testament to how much he's come on in the past few months. Harkes made some good runs driving forward,  picked out some smart passes in flashes throughout the game and again demonstrated that he's looking a lot less lightweight than the 2nd half of last season.

Can't say I was overly impressed by the referee today, he was very lenient in the first half for both teams, and in the second half he was persistently picking us up for minor fouls while infuriating our crowd by letting Arbroath away with worse. That said, Arbroath looked like they should have had a penalty in the first half when Robson clattered into one of their players in the box only for the ref to give a goal kick.

There's not really much to say about the penalty shootout other than it was probably one of the least embarrassing of our recent miserable efforts; Deniz at least saved one. This is still a rather pish run we're on in shootouts though. Six in a row we've lost now I think?

Regardless, all the best to Arbroath for the rest of the competition.