Kelty Hearts v Auchinleck Talbot

Cup ties are a different breed.

Dundonald putting up a better fight than Kelty clearly shows this.

Talbot losing in previous years to Cumbernauld 2-0 also shows this ( I know they also lost to city but based on where they are now, City would have perhaps been the best non league team at that time).

Killie losing to a welsh team and then stenny beating the welsh champs in cup competitions so far this season shows the fickle nature of cup football.

Kelty on the night were awful, Talbot did enough to win the game, essentially making no errors at either end of the park. There will be games this season where Talbot are awful and others where Kelty are superb.

16 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Brian Ritchie replaced Chris Dodd after 62 minutes according to the Kelty twitter.

I think its quite possible that Kelty have yet to play a team that's going to be top five in the Lowland league. Bonnyrigg/BSC/East Stirling/East Kilbride. I don't think all of those teams would finish above them but its not unreasonable to think one or two might.

You can't hear the tannoy in the stand so interesting I never noticed the difference on the pitch. Still a bit startling to lose 3-0 at home, make just 1 sub and it with <30min left when already 3-0.

13 minutes ago, surely not! said:

Cup ties are a different breed. Dundonald putting up a better fight than Kelty clearly shows this.

Talbot losing in previous years to Cumbernauld 2-0 also shows this ( I know they also lost to city but based on where they are now, City would have perhaps been the best non league team at that time).

Killie losing to a welsh team and then stenny beating the welsh champs in cup competitions so far this season shows the fickle nature of cup football.

Kelty on the night were awful, Talbot did enough to win the game, essentially making no errors at either end of the park. There will be games this season where Talbot are awful and others where Kelty are superb.

Unless my seasons are getting mixed-up City went on to play Brora in the next round, and it in turn proved to have been a dress rehearsal for the playoff in April which Brora won on pens.

9 minutes ago, Lokloyal said:

I’m trying to recall Keltys record as a junior club.Did they win many honours/dominate their region?

Strong in the last few years: won old East Superleague in 2014-15 and 2016-17 and runner-up in between. They didn't win any local cups or reach notable finals those years.

Since turning senior their cup record has been poor. I noted Scottish Cup above and 'domestically' the best was beating Preston on penalties in King Cup Final and losing EOS League Cup SF at LTHV: they have gone out earlier in the South Challenge Cup to Threave and East Stirlingshire; the EOS Qualifying Cup to Spartans and Camelon; and LL Cup to Spartans.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Didn't catch this game tonight but I'm surprised anyone was handing out big odds against Talbot - they're the epitome of consistency. There will always come a point for clubs at this level where they meet their match from further up the tree but Talbot against any other part time team will make sure they give them a game. 

I didn't expect Kelty to hand out goals on a plate but that seems to have been the case. 

Whilst Kelty seem focused on changing the way they operate to add what might be termed a more professional approach to everything they do - and that's not something to knock - they're maybe still at a relatively early stage, even if they've spent a few bob to speed things along.  Talbot on the other hand have a manager who's been doing this for the best part of a generation and he's brilliant at it. 

Tucker builds teams who press hard all over the pitch. They're really fit and they work for each other all the time. Kelty won't be the first team to play across the back and then go long because the midfield is being blocked off as an option. The Talbot strikers work their socks off without the ball. He has brought in young lads for years now and made them better players. There are no "reputations" at Talbot under Sloan - he knows what he wants from his players and they all know it too. 

I watched them at Camelon and they managed the game all over the pitch without doing anything flash. 

They're a great cup side. They're capable of being beaten like everyone else but you won't give them handouts and beat them. 

Auchinleck got their tactics spot on last night and thoroughly deserved the win. Kelty could not get any decent balls into the box and ran out of ideas. Talbot also had one or two players up front that got through the Kelty defence. Also their set pieces were always dangerous. Kelty need to put it behind them as they have a bigger picture to concentrate on. As for Auchinleck, there will not be many teams wanting to draw them in the next round. Well organised and motivated.

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Kelty really do have a terrible record in the Scottish Cup. Twice they crashed out in "Champion v Champion" contests against LTHV... first occasion the scoreline was the same as tonight... last season they needed replay v Dalbeattie before losing v Peterhead... now tonight.

Only tie they've won at first attempt was against Civil Service Strollers back when making their debut.

Decided to head over to the game, and it was as convincing a win as I'm sure it looked on TV. Kelty started sluggishly and while they had a lot of possession never did anything with it. Dire defending saw them serve-up opportunities on a platter. What surprised most was that they never shook themselves into life; nor had any Plan B; no alternate style. Did they even make a substitution? Trailing 2-0 you expected a reaction 2nd half - and new blood - but it was like "if at first you don't succeed, repeat infinitum..." Naïve football.

Some coaching staff from another LL club sat down along from me in the stand and they would have liked what they saw. Kelty have already lost at Cumbernauld and if they play like this against the other calibre outfits they'll be vulnerable. That said they must have had something about them to beat Annan and run Solihull so close in recent weeks.

Fair comments there again Hibee.  We didn't turn up last night - worrying for the biggest game of the season.  We were night and day better vs Annan and Solihull.

6 hours ago, HTG said:

Didn't catch this game tonight but I'm surprised anyone was handing out big odds against Talbot - they're the epitome of consistency. There will always come a point for clubs at this level where they meet their match from further up the tree but Talbot against any other part time team will make sure they give them a game. 

I didn't expect Kelty to hand out goals on a plate but that seems to have been the case. 

Whilst Kelty seem focused on changing the way they operate to add what might be termed a more professional approach to everything they do - and that's not something to knock - they're maybe still at a relatively early stage, even if they've spent a few bob to speed things along.  Talbot on the other hand have a manager who's been doing this for the best part of a generation and he's brilliant at it. 

Tucker builds teams who press hard all over the pitch. They're really fit and they work for each other all the time. Kelty won't be the first team to play across the back and then go long because the midfield is being blocked off as an option. The Talbot strikers work their socks off without the ball. He has brought in young lads for years now and made them better players. There are no "reputations" at Talbot under Sloan - he knows what he wants from his players and they all know it too. 

I watched them at Camelon and they managed the game all over the pitch without doing anything flash. 

They're a great cup side. They're capable of being beaten like everyone else but you won't give them handouts and beat them. 

Best comment I've seen all night HTG!

Lowland League should be wound up 
It's an embarrassment, full of glorified boys clubs trying to kid on it's the big time

Saying the LL should be wound up is just daft, (though I presume tongue-in-cheek) but I do agree with the rest of your post.

However, at the same time the lower end of the pyramid is still in a period of transition and it’s going to take a few seasons for everyone to find their level.

Fash in that interview basically inferring it's not about the money as to why he's there. Absolutely hilarious.

Anyway, good to see Ferguson shown up for the charlatan he is. Looking forward to his barrel load of excuses when it all goes tits up for him at KH.

Was really impressed with NCP last night. Kelty certainly have the facilities to go further, and it was nice to see a lot of their supporters wishing us all the best. What a difference to Cove last season who gave it the Billy Bigbawz and after being owned at Beechwood they blamed their defeat on everything but the opposition.

10 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

The Lowland teams and Kelty can paint this any way they want - this game was the ultimate test of strength of Pyramid vs Juniors and Talbot hammered the financially doped East Coast diddies.

The sooner we add the West Coast juniors to the leagues, the better. You could add 5 or 6 West teams to the SPFL and they would easily add to the set up. Talbot are arguably a playoff team in League One.

Sad to see someone turn into a troll. Real shame.