Airdrieonians v Raith Rovers

This was indeed a scrappy game from both sides and the one good bit of football produced the winning goal. I think the 2nd half started so late because the Ref wanted to save us from more feckless play. Again we get tinkering by our newly contracted strategist and the introduction of a young guy who has not featured. He looked unsure what his job was and I was the same. If we are playing 3-5-2 at home  then the wing backs do need to get up the park, but Raith negated that with a similar shape and a more advanced  McDonald on the left. This meant our Mcdonald rarely threatened. On the left we hardly crossed the half way line . Raith were marginally better in the first but got a grip in the second as our midfield rarely troubled their possession and passing. I don't know who Raith's  No 8 was but  he was outstanding.. The first goal looked likely to be the last and despite some pressure via corners and two half sclaffs from our forwards we hardly worried McGurn. It looked a bad injury for Raith's goalie and our Hutton somehow also got injured-not helped by Kerr's passing the buck pass back. We are so slow at moving the ball and it was so disappointing today. Raith were really solid in their back three ( until that last minute panic) and won here when Falkirk failed., so top spot is still their's to lose. The hoodoo continues so I will just have to hope Stranraer are gash as usual next week

Edited by Chapelhall chap

This was indeed a scrappy game from both sides and the one good bit of football produced the winning goal. I think the 2nd half started so late because the Ref wanted to save us from more feckless play. Again we get tinkering by our newly contracted strategist and the introduction of a young guy who has not featured. He looked unsure what his job was and I was the same. If we are playing 3-5-2 at home  then the wing backs do need to get up the park, but Raith negated that with a similar shape and a more advanced  McDonald on the left. This meant our Mcdonald rarely threatened. On the left we hardly crossed the half way line . Raith were marginally better in the first but got a grip in the second as our midfield rarely troubled their possession and passing. I don't know who Raith's  No 8 was but  he was outstanding.. The first goal looked likely to be the last and despite some pressure via corners and two half sclaffs from our forwards we hardly worried McGurn. It looked a bad injury for Raith's goalie and our Hutton somehow also got injured-not helped by Kerr's passing the buck pass back. We are so slow at moving the ball and it was so disappointing today. Raith were really solid in their back three ( until that last minute panic) and won here when Falkirk failed., so top spot is still their's to lose. The hoodoo continues so I will just have to hope Stranraer are gash as usual next week

Ahh, so it was a 3-5-2. I was wondering. So essentially it was a 3-0-2. Well, least said if we’re honest.

Not a great performance from either side but we had a bit more quality and ground out the win. Encouraging 3 away points. Another away win against Forfar please to set up the Falkirk game nicely. 

Also fair play to to our away crowd today. Decent numbers, must be the Vaughan optimism 

Edited by roverthemoon

11 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks, it's Hendry. We're amazed we have a player of his quality.

Just now, Chapelhall chap said:

thanks for info. Is he on loan or through your youth set up?

Ex Celtic youth who came in on loan under Barry Smith initially two seasons ago, then barely got a game. Came back under McGlynn last season and played three games before getting an ACL injury. He got a ridiculous offer in the summer from Falkirk but came back because he's all about the Rovers.

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Ex Celtic youth who came in on loan under Barry Smith initially two seasons ago, then barely got a game. Came back under McGlynn last season and played three games before getting an ACL injury. He got a ridiculous offer in the summer from Falkirk but came back because he's all about the Rovers.

I had a feeling he was from Celtic so thanks for info. I assume he liked your set up but I have my doubts that any player these days really plays for the jersey/badge kissing etc but I am an old cynic.

I had a feeling he was from Celtic so thanks for info. I assume he liked your set up but I have my doubts that any player these days really plays for the jersey/badge kissing etc but I am an old cynic.

He has been quite vocal that it was the support from our fans that tipped it in our favour for where he went in the summer, despite as has been said, receiving better offers from Falkirk and teams in the championship.

We now have the best example of a badge kisser in baird back at us for a third stint aswell so we know the dangers and benefits of a badge kisser. He's our badge kisser again though!!

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:

He has been quite vocal that it was the support from our fans that tipped it in our favour for where he went in the summer, despite as has been said, receiving better offers from Falkirk and teams in the championship.

We now have the best example of a badge kisser in baird back at us for a third stint aswell so we know the dangers and benefits of a badge kisser. He's our badge kisser again though!!

Always liked John Baird and glad he never came on today as he always scores. As to Hendry's promise for you I hope it is genuine, if rare these days

Always liked John Baird and glad he never came on today as he always scores. As to Hendry's promise for you I hope it is genuine, if rare these days
If he helps get us up, I doubt many of us will care if he moves on to better things. He shouldn't be at this level anyway.

4 minutes ago, grumswall said:
5 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

If he helps get us up, I doubt many of us will care if he moves on to better things. He shouldn't be at this level anyway.

If he helps us get up, I’d not be surprised if we had him at least the first half as other teams looked to see how he played at the new level. With a move up and failure to hold that level, they might be a bit more cautious about snapping him up...but I’m concerned about the Jan window still.

If he helps us get up, I’d not be surprised if we had him at least the first half as other teams looked to see how he played at the new level. With a move up and failure to hold that level, they might be a bit more cautious about snapping him up...but I’m concerned about the Jan window still.
He has a good pedigree having captained the celtic youth team and he does stand out at this level so I don't think he's a big gamble for clubs to take. We'd maybe even get a bag of skittles for him in the summer so I best stop bigging him up...

Great day today; thoroughly nice airdrie folk in the social club before hand and 3 points to take back home. I was sceptical of our chances when I heard Vaughan wasn’t in the squad but we did terrifically well to negate the loss of his influence. Big Stevie Anderson quickly becoming a fan favourite.