Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

The state of this thread now. Give the guy a chance, ffs.

He could have been appointed weeks ago, he wasn't. They went through applications and interviews and he has been given it. He's been sought after by other clubs for assistant roles so others beyond Ayr United see something in him. I don't recall that being the case with Roberts, Reid, even Dalziel.

So for the love of sweet f**k give the guy a fucking chance.

Nothing like pre-judging someone before they’ve had a chance to prove themselves, eh?
The way I see it there wasn’t any stand-out candidate that he’s got the job ahead of, he’s presumably been involved in the coaching/tactical discussions this season as a senior player and there’s probably less danger of him drastically changing our shape or way of playing than someone coming in from outside.
Obviously he’s not guaranteed to be successful but he’s not guaranteed to fail either as a lot of you appear to think.

4 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Not the cheapest option , how can you judge the guy , Iets see what he can do in January window , and it now gives us budget for another player that can help us get over our annual Jan to April collapse

Not helping your own argument that this isn’t the cheap option when we have to promote a player to manager in order to bring someone in!

Seriously though, I think some of the comments are harsh.  We can’t afford someone who is in a job e.g. Darren Young or Peter Murphy which leaves us taking one of the usual out of work suspects that are mainly damaged goods or taking a punt on a rookie manager.  

The problem I would have is that over the last 40 years, Ayr have consistently taken punts on rookie managers and it has generally been a failure or a limited success at best - Burley, Stainrod, Dalziel, Connor, Shanks, Watt,  Reid, Roberts all had little to no experience and one way and another didn’t really deliver, though I would still argue Reid did a decent job with the resources at his disposal.  

McCall was the first time in decades we appointed an experienced manager with a solid track record.  I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he’s the first manager since the late 70s to be poached by another club, which also reflects on how poor our managerial appointments have been since then.

i absolutely will back Kerr though, but essential he has some experience backing him up.  As I mentioned earlier, I wonder if it is significant that there has been no mention of his back room staff.

Just now, Jeff Venom said:

The state of this thread now. Give the guy a chance, ffs.

He could have been appointed weeks ago, he wasn't. They went through applications and interviews and he has been given it. He's been sought after by other clubs for assistant roles so others beyond Ayr United see something in him. I don't recall that being the case with Roberts, Reid, even Dalziel.

So for the love of sweet f**k give the guy a fucking chance.

Everyone will give him a chance. Doesn’t mean they need to agree with the decision. The criticism I see isn’t of Kerr anyway. 

For a lot of people I imagine the worry is that this season may be the club’s only realistic shot at the title for the foreseeable future (it would be crazy to assume we will always be in this position) and a rookie manager will  inevitably make rookie mistakes that could damage the chances.

Time will tell.

Not helping your own argument that this isn’t the cheap option when we have to promote a player to manager in order to bring someone in!
Seriously though, I think some of the comments are harsh.  We can’t afford someone who is in a job e.g. Darren Young or Peter Murphy which leaves us taking one of the usual out of work suspects that are mainly damaged goods or taking a punt on a rookie manager.

What?

Kerr is staying on as a player but there was a budget put in place for any new manager coming in. And we interviewed Young and told him last night he wasn’t successful so we clearly had the money in case we had to pay compensation for him.

How many managers have taken their first gig in the second their of Scottish football? He will need a lot of hand holding in the first 6 months for this to work, do Ayr have full time board there to help him as I know the owner is away a lot of the time.

Give the guy a chance ffs. If appointing a rookie manager is good enough for Rangers it is surely good enough for us. It gives us continuity and he obviously buys in to the way we currently play in no small part due to Mark Kerr I would think. He is well respected and has captained 3 clubs two of them in the premiership. Good luck Mark Kerr.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

What?

Kerr is staying on as a player but there was a budget put in place for any new manager coming in. And we interviewed Young and told him last night he wasn’t successful so we clearly had the money in case we had to pay compensation for him.

Not sure what your information source might be, but the Young thing never made much sense as we would have had to approached East Fife for permission to speak to him - he couldn’t have applied for the job if he was under contract.  There is no indication that approach ever happened.  

Archibald worked out okay at Thistle. Maybe Cameron wanted a degree of continuity?

Bringing a new man in can bring it's own set of problems.

He does have a neck like a giraffe though...

Just now, Ayrhead1 said:

Give the guy a chance ffs. If appointing a rookie manager is good enough for Rangers it is surely good enough for us. It gives us continuity and he obviously buys in to the way we currently play in no small part due to Mark Kerr I would think. He is well respected and has captained 3 clubs two of them in the premiership. Good luck Mark Kerr.

Under Steven Gerrard, a born leader a Champions League winner and is getting much more resources than any other scottish club apart from Celtic. You can't compare Mark Kerr to steven Gerrard. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Must have missed Derek McInnes, Stuart Kettlewell, Stevie Ferguson, Gary Holt, Robbie Neilson and Brian Rice earning their stripes in League 1 or 2.

With the exception of Derek McInnes, every one of those was at least a reserve team/youth team/academy coach prior to becoming a first team manager. Mark Kerr, on the other hand, came off the pitch on Saturday as a player and is suddenly now the manager. 

It's pretty evident that he would not have been anyone's first choice but I hope he proves me wrong.

Im honestly stunned, and not in a good way. Can’t believe we’ve waited over 3 weeks and carried out interviews and we give the job to a guy who was already lurking in the background, what a waste of a month! A woeful appointment and the “Ayr way”, getting someone inexperienced in on the cheap. I wasn’t impressed with the ICT and Dunfermline results and substitutions and fear the slide will start now

Not sure what your information source might be, but the Young thing never made much sense as we would have had to approached East Fife for permission to speak to him - he couldn’t have applied for the job if he was under contract.  There is no indication that approach ever happened.  

I know for a fact he was interviewed and we got permission to speak to him even though he applied. We wouldn’t have interviews him without knowing the compensation figure and been willing to pay it.