Controversial Statements About Your Club

18 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

FWIW, East End is one of my favourite grounds in the country. 

You can paint the seats dark blue and we'll tow it up the A96, if you like.

If you can provide some terracing then you can have the Norrie, North and Cowden End stands.

We'll keep the main stand as it's pretty good and full of decent stuff.

If you can provide some terracing then you can have the Norrie, North and Cowden End stands.
We'll keep the main stand as it's pretty good and full of decent stuff.

visited eep first game of season. think it’s a really decent ground. some view from high up behind the goals. stand a bit steep though [emoji849]

1 minute ago, Ylf said:

visited eep first game of season. think it’s a really decent ground. some view from high up behind the goals. stand a bit steep though emoji849.png

Problem is is that it's far too big for our needs. Loads of empty seats looks awful and make for a dreadful atmosphere, and the costs to maintain it are high and will only increase. It will increasingly become a millstone around the club's neck.

Dykes was poor for us.
Harkins was very good for us.
McIntyre is the worst manager we've had since Gus MacPherson.
It's to be controversial MT, not be wrong [emoji14]

For me I'd go with AJ being our most over-rated manager and the excellent season under his leadership owed more to our advantageous circumstances rather than his managerial ability.

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Dykes was poor for us.

Harkins was very good for us.

McIntyre is the worst manager we've had since Gus MacPherson.

I completely disagree about Dykes, but your view is a widely shared one so I don't think it can be considered controversial.

Harkins was very good for us and I don't know of anyone that thinks otherwise, so again not really controversial.

SD is the only person that seems to rate McIntyre, everyone else sees him for the average joe that he was, so again no controversy!

I'm struggling to think of too many myself.  I thought the recent centenary strip was absolutely horrible and the fact I witnessed the two turgid defeats in which we wore it only added to this ill feeling.  That's about the best I've got just now.

Every manager we've had since Billy Stark has (the odd memorable result aside)  been crap.

Allan McGraw is a really nice guy but was found out after three/four years in charge and should have been punted.

I don't believe the folk who wish to take over Morton will be a good thing for the club if they succeed.

5 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I completely disagree about Dykes, but your view is a widely shared one so I don't think it can be considered controversial.

Harkins was very good for us and I don't know of anyone that thinks otherwise, so again not really controversial.

SD is the only person that seems to rate McIntyre, everyone else sees him for the average joe that he was, so again no controversy!

I'm struggling to think of too many myself.  I thought the recent centenary strip was absolutely horrible and the fact I witnessed the two turgid defeats in which we wore it only added to this ill feeling.  That's about the best I've got just now.

The dominant view on here is that Dykes was excellent.

The dominant view on here is that Harkins was a lazy waste of space who we were well shot of.

I think most would not rate Skelton, Naysmith and Fowler well above McIntyre, but perhaps you're right and SD simply has loads of different accounts.

The centenary strip is lovely.

I suggested that on the Ayr thread at the time and was shot down. Were you not one of them?

Yes

This is more in hindsight tbh which we all know is a wonderful thing.

Had we sold him the board would likely have got pelters for lacking ambition but we achieved nothing with him anyway. He contributed so little that we would probably have finished in the play offs anyway but without the budget cuts this season.

41 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's to be controversial MT, not be wrong emoji14.png

For me I'd go with AJ being our most over-rated manager and the excellent season under his leadership owed more to our advantageous circumstances rather than his managerial ability.

McIntyre set about dismantling those advantages.  He was crap.

McIntyre set about dismantling those advantages.  He was crap.

Sorry I was too lazy to edit. FWIW it's only the one about Dykes I disagreed with. I didn't mind Harkins and McIntyre wasn't my favourite at the time. The best thing about McIntyre was he stuck by McShane.

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yes

This is more in hindsight tbh which we all know is a wonderful thing.

Had we sold him the board would likely have got pelters for lacking ambition but we achieved nothing with him anyway. He contributed so little that we would probably have finished in the play offs anyway but without the budget cuts this season.

Whilst I understand that we might have ended up in the same place without him and could’ve really used the money, I think it would have done huge damage off the pitch. The divide between the fans and the board would have been horrendous with such a blatant lack of ambition, and I think it would have undone a lot of the great work of the last couple of years to get fans back on board with the club.

I'll go;

- The North Stand should be shut for regular league and cup games
- Goal music should never be played at East End
- East End is a bit rubbish and a total white elephant. It's looking dated due to the faded seats and looks really poor due to how many empty seats there are. It's not conducive to attracting new fans either
- Charlie D's doesn't work as a pub and needs totally redesigned 
- Legends is a huge wasted opportunity and it's down to complacency and outright laziness
- We are not a big club or some sort of sleeping giant
- The club need to stop giving inflated attendances. It's fooling no one as is daft. It also hides that our attendances are falling
- We will never play in Europe again
- We'll never win the Scottish or League Cup again (or for the first time in the case of the League Cup)

Kin el, barrel of laughs you lad.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Whilst I understand that we might have ended up in the same place without him and could’ve really used the money, I think it would have done huge damage off the pitch. The divide between the fans and the board would have been horrendous with such a blatant lack of ambition, and I think it would have undone a lot of the great work of the last couple of years to get fans back on board with the club.

It's now September. The manager who turned things around is away, the general expectation is that the replacement will be whoever is cheapest, and the budget has been cut. What is this if not a lack of ambition?

My own controversial opinion: Brian Reid shouldn't have been sacked. And Anthony Marenghi was a massive missed opportunity, not dissimilar to what might have happened to Shankland if not for McCall.

33 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:
I'll go;

- The North Stand should be shut for regular league and cup games
- Goal music should never be played at East End
- East End is a bit rubbish and a total white elephant. It's looking dated due to the faded seats and looks really poor due to how many empty seats there are. It's not conducive to attracting new fans either
- Charlie D's doesn't work as a pub and needs totally redesigned 
- Legends is a huge wasted opportunity and it's down to complacency and outright laziness
- We are not a big club or some sort of sleeping giant
- The club need to stop giving inflated attendances. It's fooling no one as is daft. It also hides that our attendances are falling
- We will never play in Europe again
- We'll never win the Scottish or League Cup again (or for the first time in the case of the League Cup)

Kin el, barrel of laughs you lad.

Aye, but I'm quite optimistic about the future!

I think if we can keep the vast majority of this squad and a couple of experienced players then we can challenge for the title next season.

6 hours ago, Thumper said:

It's now September. The manager who turned things around is away, the general expectation is that the replacement will be whoever is cheapest, and the budget has been cut. What is this if not a lack of ambition?

My own controversial opinion: Brian Reid shouldn't have been sacked. And Anthony Marenghi was a massive missed opportunity, not dissimilar to what might have happened to Shankland if not for McCall.

It’s living within your means, like any other business on the planet would have to do to remain in existence. I am so bored of people demanding we spend money we just don’t have.

Couple of controversial ones from me:

Mark Burchill was a better striker than Stevie Crawford. If we'd had Burchill rather than Crawford up front along with Brewster then we'd have been even better 03-04.

The Stephen Kenny saga is nowhere near as controversial as is ever made out. No players downed tools, the man was simply out his depth at the time. Very pleased to see him doing a superb job with Ireland under 21s.

We wouldn't have won league 1 in 15-16 had it not been for Faissals goals. Alan Johnstone got lucky.

The team which won division 1 in season 10-11 was bang average with an absolutely honking back line (Calum Woods aside).

We shouldn't have punted Myles Hippolyte in the summer. Again, very pleased to see he has went on to do well this season.

Callum Smith should be in our starting 11 nevermind on loan at airdrie.