Film music

19QOS19

Possibly a topic already but I can't be bothered looking.

Does anyone ever sit a listen to a film soundtrack? I don't mean songs, more the actual score. I've recently listened to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Braveheart and The Green Mile on Spotify. It's not until you listen to it without watching at the same time that you appreciate how good the music is. I could picture almost every scene by listening to TGTBTU and I felt sad listening to a piece in The Green Mile as it was the Coffey execution scene. Incredible that the brain associates the music to a scene when you don't think you're actually hearing the music at the time.

So anyone else sad enough to do this and experience similar? [emoji38]

31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Does anyone ever sit a listen to a film soundtrack? I don't mean songs, more the actual score. I've recently listened to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Braveheart and The Green Mile on Spotify. It's not until you listen to it without watching at the same time that you appreciate how good the music is. I could picture almost every scene by listening to TGTBTU and I felt sad listening to a piece in The Green Mile as it was the Coffey execution scene. Incredible that the brain associates the music to a scene when you don't think you're actually hearing the music at the time.

So anyone else sad enough to do this and experience similar? emoji38.png

Music can really make a movie. Some immediate examples of great scores/perfect for the situations are Heat and Gladiator. The score in those films is not only superb to listen to, but perfect for the scene setting. 

I have the soundtrack to Assault on Precinct 13 on my phone and I enjoy listening to it when I'm walking home from work on dark winter evenings. 

John Carpenter actually put a band together and went on tour playing his various film scores. He was in Edinburgh a few years ago and I really regret not going.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

The wife's a big movie soundtrack fan; Gladiator and Braveheart are two of her favourites. Also Kevin Costner's Robin Hood film.

Last winter, I quite enjoyed putting on Ennio Morricone's soundtrack to John Carpenter's The Thing when I was working late on my own. Turn off most of the lights and I could be at an Antarctic listening station, in the middle of a howling snowstorm, with a shapeshifting alien ready to jump out on unsuspecting paperwork filler-outers. I'm a fucking weirdo.

Can also recommend Riz Ortolani's Cannibal Holocaust score, although the shop doesn't inspire jungle anthropophagy daydreams, alas.

So anyone else sad enough to do this and experience similar? [emoji38]
I've got The Good, The Bad and The Ugly on CD. Great for driving to on a long journey. Also another soundtrack I like is the one for Stranger Things.

On 01/10/2019 at 15:50, The Skelpit Lug said:

Betty Blue soundtrack is excellent

That just arrived at our shop before I clocked off for the week, so I'll be giving that a listen when I'm back in.

Haven't seen that film since it was new out, but I guess the, err...visuals made me overlook the soundtrack  :lol: