Would you change our league?

Guest JTS98

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Miller and McLeish would be off to Brighton and West Ham for a few quid after 18 months in the team. Aberdeen would replace them with someone nowhere near that standard and life would go on.

Off the top of my head - Ryan Christie, Kenny McLean, Jonny Hayes, Adam Rooney, Ryan Jack, Anthony O'Connor. All gone before they could deliver on their potential. Shinnie gave Aberdeen a few good years but he was always going to move on too.

Lewis Ferguson will be plucked the moment he is ripe, and Aberdeen will look to replace him. 

You look back at those Aberdeen and Dundee Utd sides, but even Hearts had players like John Colquhoun and Gary Mackay, who they could never keep now. Would Keith Wright be playing for a Scottish club? Eamonn Bannan, for whom Dundee Utd broke the Scottish record transfer fee? It's almost impossible for anyone outside the OF to build a team than could challenge for the title, and the only time anyone has managed that since the 80s they did it with questionable Lithuanian cash that nearly killed the club and finished 17 points behind Celtic anyway.

On 27/10/2019 at 17:36, wastecoatwilly said:

In terms of the European dosh there is no reason why Aberdeen,Hearts and Hibs can't share the rewards.

The EL Group Stage is skewed towards the big countries and national champions. It's very hard for the 143 clubs in the Main Path to squeeze into the 13 places available for them. Aberdeen were the 46th ranked club this season. The 13th ranked club in this season's Main Path were Wolves, with clubs like Spartak Moscow, AEK Athens, Mitdjylland, Torino, AZ, Trabzonspor and Strasbourg not even in the top 13 ranked clubs in that path. The idea that Aberdeen, Hearts and HIbs ought to be in there is ludicrously naïve.

And even then, you get about 4 times as much money from the CL as the EL.

Off the top of my head - Ryan Christie, Kenny McLean, Jonny Hayes, Adam Rooney, Ryan Jack, Anthony O'Connor. All gone before they could deliver on their potential. Shinnie gave Aberdeen a few good years but he was always going to move on too.
Lewis Ferguson will be plucked the moment he is ripe, and Aberdeen will look to replace him. 
You look back at those Aberdeen and Dundee Utd sides, but even Hearts had players like John Colquhoun and Gary Mackay, who they could never keep now. Would Keith Wright be playing for a Scottish club? Eamonn Bannan, for whom Dundee Utd broke the Scottish record transfer fee? It's almost impossible for anyone outside the OF to build a team than could challenge for the title, and the only time anyone has managed that since the 80s they did it with questionable Lithuanian cash that nearly killed the club and finished 17 points behind Celtic anyway.

Good post but...Anthony O’Connor? And It’s fair to say Adam Rooney had delivered on his potential when he left.

I do agree with your post (and the subsequent one) in the main though.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Good post but...Anthony O’Connor? And It’s fair to say Adam Rooney had delivered on his potential when he left.

I do agree with your post (and the subsequent one) in the main though.

IIRC Aberdeen tried and failed to keep O'Connor, and wasn't he only about 22-23? Apols if I was mistaken.

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

The EL Group Stage is skewed towards the big countries and national champions. It's very hard for the 143 clubs in the Main Path to squeeze into the 13 places available for them. Aberdeen were the 46th ranked club this season. The 13th ranked club in this season's Main Path were Wolves, with clubs like Spartak Moscow, AEK Athens, Mitdjylland, Torino, AZ, Trabzonspor and Strasbourg not even in the top 13 ranked clubs in that path. The idea that Aberdeen, Hearts and HIbs ought to be in there is ludicrously naïve.

And even then, you get about 4 times as much money from the CL as the EL.

You haven't got a scooby what your talking about,half the teams you have posted put each other out.
The Scots national team was on level 3 soon to move up to level 2 through the nations league.
The Scots clubs started at 20th out of 55 countries moving up to 15th in two years time, getting rid of some qualifiers.
Your negative parochial pish disnae wash,UEFA are bring in a 3rd tier competition so it's money the clubs can tap into money they didn't have before.
For me the season should start earlier with a bigger winter break.

You haven't got a scooby what your talking about,half the teams you have posted put each other out.
The Scots national team was on level 3 soon to move up to level 2 through the nations league.
The Scots clubs started at 20th out of 55 countries moving up to 15th in two years time, getting rid of some qualifiers.
Your negative parochial pish disnae wash,UEFA are bring in a 3rd tier competition so it's money the clubs can tap into money they didn't have before.
For me the season should start earlier with a bigger winter break.

So the only ‘pish’ he said is that some of the teams mentioned played each other?

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

So the only ‘pish’ he said is that some of the teams mentioned played each other?

Scottish clubs place at the European table is better than 40 other countries competing at that level.
Our piece of pie or cake may not be the best bit but it's far from the crumbs at the bottom.
We have 12 teams in our top flight having 5 in Europe can only be a good thing for the league.

Scottish clubs place at the European table is better than 40 other countries competing at that level.
Our piece of pie or cake may not be the best bit but it's far from the crumbs at the bottom.
We have 12 teams in our top flight having 5 in Europe can only be a good thing for the league.

True to form, you’ve addressed precisely none of the points raised.

On 22/10/2019 at 23:31, wastecoatwilly said:

I don't mind you having a pop at Celtic in fact it's expected,I'm enjoying every moment of this domestic dominance.

You're not, though. You're bored out of your skull unless Sevco are realistically challenging you.

How any Celtic fans could have enjoyed the "precession" against Aberdeen on Sunday defies logic.

It wasn't even a game FFS!

FWIW - Every single rule change since the 1960's has benefited the bigger/richer Clubs. (Abolition of maximum wage, 1/2/3 Subs, 3 from 7 subs, Bosman, scrapping of the maximum foreigners rule)

I'd love to ask SAF how he'd emulate his own success at a Club like Aberdeen post Bosman? I've no doubt his genius man management skills would see an increase in performance but enough to win a title? I'm not so sure.

In modern football it's basically impossible for a smaller club to challenge over the course of a season barring a miracle of having exactly the right personnel turn up together at exactly the right time (see Leicester). Building a side over a period of time is no longer an option. Holding on to promising youngsters is no longer an option - they're being bought up before they've even appeared in the first team.

1 hour ago, nsr said:

In modern football it's basically impossible for a smaller club to challenge over the course of a season barring a miracle of having exactly the right personnel turn up together at exactly the right time (see Leicester). Building a side over a period of time is no longer an option. Holding on to promising youngsters is no longer an option - they're being bought up before they've even appeared in the first team.

Leicester are smaller but not that much smaller they turn over about a third of what the big manchester clubs do 

For perspective Rangers turned over about a third of Celtic in 2017/18

revenue.png?strip=all&w=960