Would you change our league?

Guest JTS98

59 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Why would I want any club to spend money they don't have? Celtic live within their means they spend most of the money they make(wage bill), it's not a crime.
I go out every day to make more than I spend,I couldn't careless how much french Eddie costs as long as he knows where the goals are. 
I give Celtic maybe a couple of grand a year maybe that's why the motherwell or hearts model works for them through fan ownership.
Because Celtic have 60,000 fans and your club only has 5,000 the imbalance should be addressed off the field?
It cost Celtic buttons to buy Frimpong from Man city and we sent Ralston out on loan does that address the imbalance on the field?
For a hundred years the custodians of Celtic pissed the dosh away like most clubs in Scotland.
Clubs are now kicking and screaming because they don't have the infrastructure to move forward with the game.

I bet Frimpong is on more per week that St Johnstone's highest earner.

That's the difference. There's plenty of free transfers available but finding talent willing to play for £500-2000/week tops, not so much.

On 30/10/2019 at 11:28, nsr said:

In modern football it's basically impossible for a smaller club to challenge over the course of a season barring a miracle of having exactly the right personnel turn up together at exactly the right time (see Leicester). Building a side over a period of time is no longer an option. Holding on to promising youngsters is no longer an option - they're being bought up before they've even appeared in the first team.

Some of them are being bought up before they even leave primary school.

On 01/11/2019 at 23:01, sjc said:

Ok, I'll try to break this down to a simplistic terms as possible.....take a look at all the leagues around Europe and the Clubs that dominate them:

Real, Barca, Benfica, Porto, Bayern, Juve, PSG, Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd.

What's the common denominator?

They've all got an "a" in their name. Apart from Porto and Juventus.

2 hours ago, sjc said:

I bet Frimpong is on more per week that St Johnstone's highest earner.

That's the difference. There's plenty of free transfers available but finding talent willing to play for £500-2000/week tops, not so much.

The bhoy has played 3 games for Celtic why would I care how much he has in the bank?

I'm more interested in his ability and how he can help the team to win games.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

On 01/11/2019 at 23:01, sjc said:

Ok, I'll try to break this down to a simplistic terms as possible.....take a look at all the leagues around Europe and the Clubs that dominate them:

The unseen hand of the Vatican?

5 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Why would I want any club to spend money they don't have? Celtic live within their means they spend most of the money they make(wage bill), it's not a crime.
I go out every day to make more than I spend,I couldn't careless how much french Eddie costs as long as he knows where the goals are. 
I give Celtic maybe a couple of grand a year maybe that's why the motherwell or hearts model works for them through fan ownership.
Because Celtic have 60,000 fans and your club only has 5,000 the imbalance should be addressed off the field?
It cost Celtic buttons to buy Frimpong from Man city and we sent Ralston out on loan does that address the imbalance on the field?
For a hundred years the custodians of Celtic pissed the dosh away like most clubs in Scotland.
Clubs are now kicking and screaming because they don't have the infrastructure to move forward with the game.

I'm explaining why it's harder for teams like Saints to replace star players than it is for Celtic.

Literally nothing you posted addresses that.

4 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The bhoy has played 3 games for Celtic why would I care how much he has in the bank?

I'm more interested in his ability and how he can help the team to win games.

Why haven't Celtic won multiple Champions League trophies?

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Because they don't want it enough. I'd have thought that was obvious?

Also lack of football knowledge...

On 01/11/2019 at 16:01, sjc said:

None of them are as successful as Rangers FC?

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Their domestic League financial clout is totally lost on them when the start complaining about the unfairness of the financial gulf between Celtic and the big hitters in the Champions League.

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Their domestic League financial clout is totally lost on them when the start complaining about the unfairness of the financial gulf between Celtic and the big hitters in the Champions League.

Rodgers was particularly laughable on this subject.

He loved a bleat about the financial gulf between Celtic and Europe's big guns, while genuinely blind to the irony screaming at the rest of us.  When it was pointed out, he mumbled some unconvincing drivel about it somehow being different in a way that only really smart football people like him would be able to understand.

A self serving fool.

22 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The original founders of Scottish football were an even worse form of capitalists than the current ones. They were raking these gate receipts but the rules forbade them from paying the players a single penny, to the extent that Renton were expelled for professionalism in the first season. Think of the modern day nonsense of American college sport, where some universities are getting paying crowds of over 100,000 and not passing any of it on to the actual talent.

We then had years of having a minimum wage and registration retention, which were again purely down to the greed of club owners in wanting to keep as much of the money for themselves. Players were treated like commodities and had basically no rights.

Maybe it's gone too far in the other direction now, but the idea that club football was founded on Corinthian ideals is an absolute myth. The money was just going into different pockets. And that's before we even talk about the nonsense of elections rather than promotion, another notion which is about as unfair as you can get. Imagine if Ayr United or Inverness won the league this season and they just said "Nah, we'd rather have Dundee United up".

You really are a total apologist for those who benefit from all the evils of how modern football is structured.

I don't know why.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You really are a total apologist for those who benefit from all the evils of how modern football is structured.

I don't know why.

He works for a show that's trying to gain popularity amongst Scottish football fans, and has a show on the BBC now.

Figure it out.

45 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't know why.

I have spent a lot of time researching the early days of Scottish football, and shared a different perspective on the discussion to act as a counterpoint to what had already been stated. Again, your warped single-issue thought process makes you incapable of realising that it doesn't mean I completely disagree with the point being made by the original poster, it just means I think there is another side to the story. This is also true of a lot of what I post on here, it's a mixture of my actual opinion and playing devil's advocate on a topic - I don't think it's healthy or helpful to any argument to just end up with a succession of people agreeing with each other without any genuine thought as to what the alternative argument is. If you're able to consider that alternative argument and prepare a response to it, then it means that the next time you make the case, you can present an even more convincing argument.

The problem is that you are every bit as one-eyed as weirdowilly or whatever he's called, and are entering this and base your opinion on basically every issue on your hatred of the Old Firm. As soon as a nuanced discussion arises, you aren't capable of actually participating in that discussion because you don't actually possess any individual thoughts on the topic. Therefore you just resort to ad hominem attacks like the one above and hope that it will garner enough support from a bunch of other cultists like you. It's basically the exact same thought process that a Celtic or Rangers fan has in their opposition to the other.