When does the countdown to Christmas Start?

Oleksandr

It wasn't a Christian festival originally, this was gradually accepted or imposed depending on your point of view on the population as Christianity was spread throughout the world. Many different cultures had their own form of celebration before Christianity arrived and the symbolic traditions are very similar to today, many still have pagan origin although much of the true meaning such as rebirth (winter solstice) and being grateful for surviving another year have been forgotten about.

Nonsense, clearly a Christian festival, celebrating the birth of santa

As I grow older, the one that I now have a dislike of is New Year. I really used to like it as a kid. My mum and dad would allow us a cheeky wee Advocaat and lemonade, we could stay up late get to eat wee sausage rolls. The neighbours would come round and my mum would make sure everyone’s ‘glasses were charged’ for the bells. I always liked Hogmanay as a kid.

Now I really cannae’ be arsed with the maudlin nature of it all. Only an Excuse, Jackie Bird and Phil Cunninghame & Aly Bain....

I am not one for giving it ‘things were better in the old days’ but in the case of a Scottish Hogmanay, I think it definitely was better back in the day. Just my opinion.

Edited by pozbaird

Guest Moomintroll
As I grow older, the one that I now have a dislike of is New Year. I really used to like it as a kid. My mum and dad would allow us a cheeky wee Advocaat and lemonade, we could stay up late get to eat wee sausage rolls. The neighbours would come round and my mum would make sure everyone’s ‘glasses were charged’ for the bells. I always liked Hogmanay as a kid.
Now I really cannae’ be arsed with the maudlin nature of it all. Only an Excuse, Jackie Bird and Phil Cunninghame & Aly Bain....
I am not one for giving it ‘things were better in the old days’ but in the case of a Scottish Hogmanay, I think it definitely was better back in the day. Just my opinion.
Totally agree, I miss the Hogmanays growing up more than I miss Christmas. These days it just makes me feel totally bloody miserable until I am gubbed on Vodka & will sing along to anything. Not really sure if being away from Scotland makes it worse or if I would be even worse if I was back up the road.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:
2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Totally agree, I miss the Hogmanays growing up more than I miss Christmas. These days it just makes me feel totally bloody miserable until I am gubbed on Vodka & will sing along to anything. Not really sure if being away from Scotland makes it worse or if I would be even worse if I was back up the road.

Yeah I get that, but this is a thread about Christmas really