Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Now people are dying due to this virus that has came out the blue and are adding early deaths to people who could potentially live for another 5-10 years and more. So to compare the figures is just moronic.

"People who die could have lived longer" is wonderful insight, cheers.

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

There are some wild timeframes being pulled out of arseholes all over and paraded as fact. "Peak in 12 weeks" being the latest. On Monday the graph from Downing Street showed an unchecked peak in April, and a flattened peak in early May. Now, 3 days later, its the end of June?

Globally, approximately 389,000 deaths a year are caused by seasonal flu (with the upper range around 500,000).

YTD there have been 10,000 deaths from Covid-19, and we are rapidly approaching 25% of the way through the year.

How close to 389,000 / 500,000 deaths do you think we will see before the year end, and how far above 500,000 would we have to reach to not consider everything that is going on an over-reaction?

There is little point in discussing mortality rates as the number of infected is unknown. The current rate of 4% is higher than reality.

The sad thing is that if, through collective effort and huge sacrifice, we miraculously bring the death toll down to normal flu levels, people will say it was a big fuss about nothing.

1 minute ago, Jack Burton said:

Difference is going for shopping is a necessity while stopping for a coffee isn't.

The government should have forced the closure of pubs, restaurants etc if they really wanted to limit unnecessary social interaction. Leaving it up to individuals and businesses was never going to work.

It was my lunch I stopped for, as I was out at lunchtime. Is this causing society such a problem that I should be ashamed? Am I up there with the Miami spring breakers? The Benidorm beer swilling ‘it’s only flu innit’ crowd? The throngs in London pubs?

Naw, I went for a cup of fcuking coffee. Will be doing it again tomorrow. Get the law onto me.

2 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Difference is going for shopping is a necessity while stopping for a coffee isn't.

....and it increasingly isn't. A massive part of Wuhan's success in halting COViD 19 is coordinated use of online delivery of groceries 

How many of the people around the world who die of ‘bog standard flu’ also had 5-10 years more in them, but contracting flu did them in?
And that is just life unfortunately.

A disease needlessly brought from a bat eating chinaman (or woman or whatever other genders there are these days) to our shores isn't which is why every death is needless.

Maybe this disease will become a part of our lives on a yearly basis but it is not that just now so the flu comparison is just daft.

Just now, Vimto90 said:

And that is just life unfortunately.

A disease needlessly brought from a bat eating chinaman (or woman or whatever other genders there are these days) to our shores isn't which is why every death is needless.

Maybe this disease will become a part of our lives on a yearly basis but it is not that just now so the flu comparison is just daft.

Someone who typed the first line of that second paragraph calling others daft. FFS.

Just now, Vimto90 said:
1 minute ago, pozbaird said:
Someone who typed the first line of that second paragraph calling others daft. FFS.

Another numpty who hones in on something to deflect from the valid point that is made as it differs from their view

‘A bat eating chinaman... etc. Do me a favour. Deflect? Me? Got a mirror handy my friend?

4 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

....and it increasingly isn't. A massive part of Wuhan's success in halting COViD 19 is coordinated use of online delivery of groceries 

Three weeks delay minimum for a slot in Inverness now. Should be left for the highest risk groups.

Just now, Vimto90 said:
2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
Casual racism from Vimto aside, I thought the disease still has an unknown origin, but is near identical to the virus found in Pangolins rather than Bats?

Not sure where the casual racism is shagger?

Of course

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Casual racism from Vimto aside, I thought the disease still has an unknown origin, but is near identical to the virus found in Pangolins rather than Bats?

Like vimto I thought the bat munching thing was true, is this not the case?