Coronavirus (COVID-19)

42 minutes ago, greendot said:

Can't say too many people will be upset by this news.

So saying it’s OK for sex offenders to die is fine but when it comes to Boris Johnson...

Edited by Granny Danger

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

So saying it’s OK for sex offenders to die is fine but when it comes to Boris Johnson...

Not sure on the comparison, I'm sure sex with Boris would be offensive but I wouldn't call him a sex offender for it :P

The playing down of the situation combined with the general public probably feeling like they have done everything they can do now, and the figures will be what they are. The ones who have stuck by the lockdown at least.

Prepare for much more playing down of the situation when it becomes apparent that the testing figures will get nowhere near what was promised.
Sir Patrick Vallance got a bit shirty last night when the guy from Reuters suggested that the UK response to the impending crisis had been somewhere short of stellar.

24 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Looking for some advice with regards to reporting unscrupulous employers who are disregarding the government policy relating to key workers. A mate of mine is currently working in a factory owned by the former chairman of a prominent Scottish football club who is notoriously hostile to trade unions. Their workforce are being forced into returning to work full-time next week following 2 weeks of reduced working hours. Their business can certainly not be defined as a key industry. Who would be the best body to report them to? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Local paper will love this story but obviously take care not to identify what part of the process your pal works in

17 minutes ago, Gaz said:

What type of factory is it?

15 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
28 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:
Looking for some advice with regards to reporting unscrupulous employers who are disregarding the government policy relating to key workers. A mate of mine is currently working in a factory owned by the former chairman of a prominent Scottish football club who is notoriously hostile to trade unions. Their workforce are being forced into returning to work full-time next week following 2 weeks of reduced working hours. Their business can certainly not be defined as a key industry. Who would be the best body to report them to? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

MP or local paper?

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Local paper will love this story but obviously take care not to identify what part of the process your pal works in

Maybe someone can point me to the directive that non-essential businesses are obliged to close.

1 hour ago, Hard Graft said:

On a Friday we get the mother and mother-in-law's shopping. Was surprised by how many cars are on the road this morning - hope this is not a sign that people are starting to ignore the lock down.

Maybe they were all getting their parents' shopping in too.  

I'm not having a pop but it always seems funny to me when someone criticises others for doing exactly what they are doing.  

21 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
26 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:
Still not convinced by per captia comparisons.  Too many other variables to contend with.

Surely it's better using per capita comparisons which control for one variable than absolute numbers which don't control for any?

Don’t think the population is the biggest variable though. You can have similar populations but other variables will have a greater effect on such a transmissible disease (population density, number of major travel hubs, general arseholishness of the populace etc).  Absolute deaths are what we are interested in here.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Don’t think the population is the biggest variable though. You can have similar populations but other variables will have a greater effect on such a transmissible disease (population density, number of major travel hubs, general arseholishness of the populace etc).  Absolute deaths are what we are interested in here.

Is there such a thing as "partial deaths"? Asking for an undertaker.