Coronavirus (COVID-19)

28 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Who is still out and spreading this shit around?

Get them leathered.

My next door neighbour. Although since a visit from the PSNI this morning he has confined himself to his own property, although I'm not even sure if that's allowed.

1 hour ago, Herman Hessian said:

only that she's the self-appointed voice of the wider "green" movement - i'd expect her to make a big thing of these findings, and quite rightly so - just my usual flippant way of characterising things; on the wider subject, the ongoing developments with regard to uncovering the pathogenesis, potential vaccinations or treatments, environmental influences, transmission mechanism etc etc - such as this hypothesis -  really are quite fascinating - proper science in action and a refreshing way to get a handle on what's going on away from the tabloid sensationalism of neighbourly disputes over social distancing non-observance, empty shelves and the rest...

FWIW, Greta Thunberg isn't the self-appointed voice of anything. If you talk to any of the campaigners you'll see she has a massive following in the youth climate movement and nobody in it disputes her position as their voice. She's got a lot of power now and she doesn't abuse it. Behind the scenes she does a huge amount of work to push forward other youth activists.

She also uses her platform to give a voice to the voiceless. At COP25 in Madrid she invited the media to a press conference. They all came, she gave a little introduction, then handed the stage over to activists from indigenous communities. The press never covered anything they said. They want to cover the serious-looking little white European girl and she knows it.

As for the issue here, I couldn't agree with you more. I saw scientists speculate about it before Covid-19 and then again when death rates rocketed in Lombardy. The Po Valley has terrible air quality, especially in winter. There's massive nerd value in the studies to come after this and I suspect there will be some that completely reverse popular beliefs.

22 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The other thing to think about is the current account overdraft at the BoE. The government is massively overdrawn but has an unlimited faculty to issue as much Sterling as they need to. The normal expectation is that the government will eventually issue bonds and uses the sale proceeds to clear the overdraft.

However the only reason the government will be able to borrow that huge amount of money at a low rate is because they have already pumped that exact amount of money into the market they are borrowing from. If they had to borrow before they could spend no one would lend or only at a high rate.

From this we can see that the government can create any amount of money at the central bank and borrow it at zero percent interest. There is no need to issue bonds other than that is how things have always been done and it's vital in the reproduction of inequalities. The BoE will never unwind QE and there is no reason for this Corina overdraft spending to be paid back either.

Just now, Snafu said:

I take it you get shouted on occasion by people who don't understand this type of work is perfectly acceptable?

Not as yet, surprisingly. Felt a bit guity being out working, when others couldn't to start off with. I operate a zero contact policy with payment, so all is good meantime. I feel privileged to be out, so watch what I'm doing. I work on my own 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

FWIW, Greta Thunberg isn't the self-appointed voice of anything. If you talk to any of the campaigners you'll see she has a massive following in the youth climate movement and nobody in it disputes her position as their voice. She's got a lot of power now and she doesn't abuse it. Behind the scenes she does a huge amount of work to push forward other youth activists.

She also uses her platform to give a voice to the voiceless. At COP25 in Madrid she invited the media to a press conference. They all came, she gave a little introduction, then handed the stage over to activists from indigenous communities. The press never covered anything they said. They want to cover the serious-looking little white European girl and she knows it.

As for the issue here, I couldn't agree with you more. I saw scientists speculate about it before Covid-19 and then again when death rates rocketed in Lombardy. The Po Valley has terrible air quality, especially in winter. There's massive nerd value in the studies to come after this and I suspect there will be some that completely reverse popular beliefs.

Many of the people who are critical of Thunberg are people who have done f**k all with their own lives.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

Good question. Not sure. But a response to an article in the press (which incident reads like a drunk text to your ex refuting all the points she made in her break up letter) certainly shouldn't be posted on a civil service platform. 

It's not a civil service platform and the civil service doesn't really have a voice of its own (which is a problem IMO). All government communications are supposed to reflect government policy. Civil servants can't post partisan material under their own name or the name of their organisation, but Ministers can post partisan content on government platforms. 

12 minutes ago, stu20vt said:

USA has about 4 times the population of Germany...yet deaths in Germany linked to CV about 4500,  USA about at 41000. 

Do our absolute figures look better than the USA's? Yes.

Adjusted for population size they are worse.

I wasn't suggesting we had done a good job. Quite the opposite.

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Jenny that was the lying fucker that said big events were ok.

These fuckers from English NHS are as bad as the government for lying and deflecting. Is Jenny the one yesterday lying about quarentine?

Edited by dirty dingus

Partly true. The USA has a huge population.
That they have such high absolute numbers shouldn't be a surprise.

New York City in itself has frightening numbers. Don’t let population get in the way of chronically, perhaps even criminally, negligent behaviour (as it shouldn’t in this country either).

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

Good question. Not sure. But a response to an article in the press (which incident reads like a drunk text to your ex refuting all the points she made in her break up letter) certainly shouldn't be posted on a civil service platform. 

The amount of abuse that she gets on her appearance or having Asperger's would make sensitive middle aged men fold like a cheap suit.

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of what she says (and they’re mostly right), she’s an absolute star for the absolute rage she generates among portly men unable to cope with whichever decade of life they are now in.

Not as yet, surprisingly. Felt a bit guity being out working, when others couldn't to start off with. I operate a zero contact policy with payment, so all is good meantime. I feel privileged to be out, so watch what I'm doing. I work on my own 
Genuinely interested as you are still working.
Presumably you will be quids in when you also get your 80% in June.

2 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Genuinely interested as you are still working.
Presumably you will be quids in when you also get your 80% in June.

I don't believe those self employed but still working can claim said 80%?

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't believe those self employed but still working can claim said 80%?

Think it’s a wee dig.  I’m sure Ted is a fine upstanding citizen but there will be some self-employed folk who will try it on, particularly if they are paid a lot in cash.