Coronavirus (COVID-19)

21 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Re. breakdown by race -  Not yet, but I read they are going to start.  I'm not sure if it will be retrospective - if not, then a lot of valuable data will be lost.  

It's going to have to be retrospective if it's going to be of any use. But as our death total isn't accurate to start with what use will it be?

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It's going to have to be retrospective if it's going to be of any use. But as our death total isn't accurate to start with what use will it be?

Yep.

That said, even if the starting point int terms of the number of deaths is wrong, probably the ratio per race will be close enough.  Depends what they want to know.

2 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Loki/Darren McGarvey is absolutely brutal tbf.

His book is boring and undermines its own thesis but he's been much better on Twitter recently now that he's actually talking about class consciousness instead of doing a sub-par Spiked 'war on wokeness'

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I enjoyed Poverty Safari while also finding Loki to be quite a disagreable person.

The title is class given nearly everyone praising it in the blurb is doing their own poverty safari by reading it. 

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

You seem to be suggesting that the British public might respond in a rational way to statistical evidence. It seems unlikely.  I think that's probably right for some people. 

I think there will probably be a large minority of people who will be permanently neurotic after this and will crack when people go near them. 

There will also probably be a large minority of people who think that a partial lifting if restrictions is the "all-clear" being sounded and will revert to fuckwittery irrespective of a second spike. 

Given the number of cretins that i've seen coughing in shops without even trying to cover their mouths, I think the second lot have the numbers

I can understand your cynicism but don’t share it.  I suppose all of us are being informed by our own experiences.  Where I live the overwhelming majority of people appear to be respecting the rules in relation to staying in wherever possible and social distancing when out.  It looks like only a tiny minority are doing otherwise though, not surprisingly, they are the ones getting the attention.

I think there will be a large number of folk who will continue to be wary post lockdown.  ‘Permanently neurotic’ might look good in a post but it’s pure hyperbole.

There is still insufficient evidence to show how widespread the virus has been, how many folk have had in and displayed little or to symptoms and the level of immunity of those who have unknowingly suffered from it.  All these things will affect the likelihood and severity of a second spike and how that will impact upon people’s behaviour.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

What % of black/asians are front line medical staff?

Are Covid-19 deaths broken down by profession and race?

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/workforce-and-business/workforce-diversity/nhs-workforce/latest#by-ethnicity

Just now, MixuFixit said:

I'm sure the title came from him labelling that Glasgow Effect artist as essentially doing this. He even self references that now he's got the misery lit bit out the way he can say what he actually wants to.

I know I read it in February but the irony of a book called Poverty Safari in the 2010s carrying praise on the cover from Nick Cohen and JK Rowling is delicious. 

47 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yep.

That said, even if the starting point int terms of the number of deaths is wrong, probably the ratio per race will be close enough.  Depends what they want to know.

How many black/asians are in care homes? Asians, afaik, are very family orientated and live in multigenerational family units, rather than pack them off to old folks' homes/care homes. But then again, we don't know how many are dying at home/in care homes do we? And what they have died of.

But maybe partial figures are better than nothing.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I've no idea if authors can choose whose recommendation goes on the front cover & if memory serves he did get some cash off Rowling to write it but that's as much about her laundering her reputation as whether there are decent points to be understood from the book imo.

I just find his book doesn't say anything new and what it does say is said better elsewhere. I'm not surprised that the LRB reviewed it alongside Hillbilly Elegy because they're fundamentally the same book as much as a man from Glasgow and the deep south of the USA can sing from the same hymn sheet. His recent tweeting is far better than what he's saying in PS anyway.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

How many black/asians are in care homes? Asians, afaik, are very family orientated and live in multigenerational family units, rather than pack them off to old folks' homes/care homes. But then again, we don't know how many are dying at home/in care homes do we? And what they have died of.

But maybe partial figures are better than nothing.

I guess that's what I meant by adding it depends what they want the numbers for.  If they want to carry out any in-depth analysis, well, forget it.  If they simply want to see if the number of deaths for BAME is disproportionate, then it may work. 

37 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

My wife is English and would never vote Tory she also voted remain. She was a no in 2014 but would probably vote yes now.

Sounds like your wife is pretty exceptional, mate!

I have an English partner, who has always voted Tory. The same could be said for my ex wife  who is also English.  Both would say it was something to do with the way they were brought up, and the areas they were brought up in.

I don't really understand....

4 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I have in fairness avoided him for a while now but when he rose to prominence I just found him to be a Scottish version of that Hillbilly Elegy tosser from the states - just a relatively authentic working class person spouting the same crap as people who are more obviously arseholes like the likes of Rowling and Cohen that you mention.

lol I just saw this. The chip on his shoulder is mental but apparently he acknowledges it more now which is sound. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Pretty well. It's no secret that the lab was studying bat viruses, it's publicly acknowledged. The rest of the stuff he picked up from the Chinese equivalent of facebook, I'm sure they've got their conspiracy theorists joining A and B to make Z too. I'm not saying it couldn't have happened, just that he didn't show any evidence other than rumour and conjecture, and I seriously distrust the motives of people pushing this agenda. It reminds me of the Russians and Craig Murray arguing that it couldn't be a coincidence that Porton Down was only a few miles from the centre of Salisbury. While Trump's backers are sounding increasingly warlike about China to deflect from his incompetence, I'm not going to take the word of an American vlogger without seeing his workings.

Clearly didn't watch it then if you think all the info was taken off of weibo. 

7 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Clearly didn't watch it then if you think all the info was taken off of weibo. 

He was clearly following their trail to the web links etc.

“everyone on the Chinese internet is searching for Huang Yanling but most believe that her body was quickly cremated and the people working at the crematorium were perhaps infected as they were not given any information about the virus.” 

I don't call that evidence.

Edited by welshbairn

21 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Sounds like your wife is pretty exceptional, mate!

I have an English partner, who has always voted Tory. The same could be said for my ex wife  who is also English.  Both would say it was something to do with the way they were brought up, and the areas they were brought up in.

I don't really understand....

Us English folk in the big cities are the good guys when it comes to voting. It's the ones in provincial towns that are the problem.

Tory arseholes.