Coronavirus (COVID-19)

There was no 'blended learning' taking place earlier this year so you are simply demonstrating your ignorance with this hysterical shrieking.
Home schooling was meant to be happening the fact you wouldn't have realised it from the amount of kids and parents treating it as a holiday backs my point up. Keep climbing that hill but it's getting steeper !

My son (8) has been doing it for a month or now - he loves it.  But, it does need a fair bit of support from a parent so might not work for all. 

Nail on the head, what VT can't fathom from that is beyond me. A large chunk of parents simply won't give a toss. Too busy watching Jezza for that shite.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

While true, the only reason we think kids need to be educated the way we currently educate them is becuase it's the way we've always done it. 

This is the absolute perfect time to explore other methods of teaching and learning, with the focus NOT on trying to make it as normal as possible, but on trying to give the best education experience possible. 

Sadly Lord McConnell saw a bandwagon and a chance to make a bit of political capital and drag himself towards, but not to, relevance. So he attached himself to some bunch of covid deniers and rode the wave and forced the govt's hand to promise that kids would go back as normal, rather than the blended model that had been planned for for some time. And here we are 

The best education experience possible is being in school

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, virginton said:
There was no 'blended learning' taking place earlier this year so you are simply demonstrating your ignorance with this hysterical shrieking.

Home schooling was meant to be happening the fact you wouldn't have realised it from the amount of kids and parents treating it as a holiday backs my point up. Keep climbing that hill but it's getting steeper !

That's not "blended learning" then is it?

45 minutes ago, hk blues said:

My son (8) has been doing it for a month or now - he loves it.  But, it does need a fair bit of support from a parent so might not work for all. 

Good is working for you but won't for so many, is tantamount to a generation going uneducated

This could go on for years

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
44 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Nail on the head, what VT can't fathom from that is beyond me. A large chunk of parents simply won't give a toss. Too busy watching Jezza for that shite.

Obviously, it will depend on the age of the child, but there's a fair bit of admin involved as well as helping with the technology and assignments/homework etc.  And that's before we even get into actually making sure the kids are paying attention and not playing minecraft or some other shite instead of studying.  

It's a compromise for sure.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

While true, the only reason we think kids need to be educated the way we currently educate them is becuase it's the way we've always done it. 

This is the absolute perfect time to explore other methods of teaching and learning, with the focus NOT on trying to make it as normal as possible, but on trying to give the best education experience possible. 

Sadly Lord McConnell saw a bandwagon and a chance to make a bit of political capital and drag himself towards, but not to, relevance. So he attached himself to some bunch of covid deniers and rode the wave and forced the govt's hand to promise that kids would go back as normal, rather than the blended model that had been planned for for some time. And here we are 

But is he "scrambling"?

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Thought it was only on the Ayrshire FB pages that people were screaming for a second lockdown? Didn’t know YouGov only asked Ayrshire mums and the work shy 🙄

I shouldn't be surprised that you've missed the point but here we are. Can you tell me what the population of the UK is, and then tell me how many people were polled by YouGov there, and from what areas?

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

Good is working for you but won't for so many, is tantamount to a generation going uneducated

This could go on for years

Cheers.  I did say however, that it won't work for all as there is a fair bit of involvement/input needed from a parent or whatever - that said, I suppose if the child is old enough to be left alone, they will be old enough to manage.  In some cases it will be ineffective for many but I'd say it's a step too far to say a whole generation will go uneducated. 

Where I am, it's voluntary and parents can opt to send their kids to public school (they will start Oct 6) or skip the year completely.  16 out of 19 of my son's classmates joined the online classes - the feedback so far is positive, myself included.  Also, bear in mind where I am, the infrastructure is poor and the organisational skills are woeful so if it can be made to work here, it can work there too. 

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
That's not "blended learning" then is it?

The word blended suggests to me it will include an element of home schooling. If it doesn't feel free to tell me what is supposed to happen when the kids are not in schools. Getting more pedantic by the hour.

Blended is a mix of both. The extra holiday in April/May was not "blended" since it was exclusively home learning.

Regardless of what side you land on regarding the opening of schools, theres one thing you cant get away from. The governments, and that's both. No free pass for ScotGov here, have had several months and a blank cheque to throw at this which has included lockdown, slow phased lifting thereof, temporary hospitals being built, thousands of ventilators being rushed through, a nationwide testing system, a track and trace system etc etc etc.

If they, having done all that, have failed to get us to a place where we can be selective about what to close/keep closed, orbworse if we see lockdown mk2 then they have monumentally fucked up.

I think most might already be saying thats the case to some extent anyway but it bears repeating that a winter of mega expensive measures for which "Dishy Rishi" will no doubt insist we all have to pay would be an absolute disgrace.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Looks like we're heading into an effective second lockdown....one which most certainly will kill off jobs, destroy peoples mental and physical health, decimate hotels, cafes, pubs and restaurants and scar a generation of students, amongst other things. 

And for what ? We're heading back to the stone ages to try and suppress something that can't be suppressed. A never ending circle of panic from governments (UK and Scottish) that simply have no clue at all what the best strategy is to try and live with this disease. 

We're all f*cked. I think I'll try and get a job in Germany. Or Iceland.