Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Firstly I don't even drink so you’re miles off with that one. Ironic you mention that I don’t care about the people who’d be “imprisoned indefinitely” and their mental health, whilst you fail to mention the mental health of people who are losing their jobs or living in constant fear of losing them because of stop/start lockdowns or restrictions. It isn’t just people shielding or who are in the vulnerable category that are suffering mentally because of this 

That's exactly the point I was making. You're happy to bemoan the damaging effect to mental health of the current situation, whilst glossing over the mental health of effectively imprisoning the vulnerable (which isn't actually possible) for an indeterminate time, many of whom will STILL be properly shielding and have been for 7 months. And who will ultimately catch the virus anyway during a ridiculous never before achieved push for herd immunity. 

I'll ask again as you seem to have missed it: for which infectious diseases have we achieved herd immunity without a vaccine, and how long did it take. 

Edited by madwullie

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

It's those people taking their wife to Aldi so they can argue about wine that has really driven the second wave. 

And then go for coffee and cake...

ETA: See DeeTillEhDeh's post

Edited by Jacksgranda

15 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

BUT WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE?!!?!

Oh, there it is.

Are these pupils or staff in schools? 

And we know the university outbreaks are large numbers. Did I read 1000 in Newcastle uni alone? How is that represented in the graph? (genuinely asking) 

Edit: Nvm it's clusters, so 1000 uni students could easily be a handful of numbers on that graph.

Edited by madwullie

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Are these pupils or staff in schools? 

I’ve no idea, but they are all human beings, so I’m unsure what difference it makes?

I see where you are going with this, and again looking to suggest that it’s somehow majority teachers that are driving these numbers. Whether it is the children or the teachers, they are being placed in a situation that is clearly driving a rise infections, yet people like yourself are still adamant that there is no issue here. Truly remarkable conscious blindness.

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’ve no idea, but they are all human beings, so I’m unsure what difference it makes?

I see where you are going with this, and again looking to suggest that it’s somehow majority teachers that are driving these numbers. Whether it is the children or the teachers, they are being placed in a situation that is clearly driving a rise infections, yet people like yourself are still adamant that there is no issue here. Truly remarkable conscious blindness.

I'm asking a question. You seem to be the one with a preconceived bias. I'm genuinely jot bothered either way - I'm looking for answers, not my theory to be proven. Like you are. 

You don't think it's important to work out whether staff or pupils are the source of infections in school? Seems daft imo 🤷‍♂️ but each to their own

Edited by madwullie

Just now, madwullie said:

I'm asking a question. You seem to be the one with a preconceived bias. I'm genuinely jot bothered either way - I'm looking for answers, not my theory to be proven. Like you are

I completely disagree going by your previous posts on here. It’s quite blatant what you’re opinion on it is, thus why any time evidence is provided you are straight in with two feet trying to dodge it.

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

BTW, if you can calm the emotive hyperbolic language and personal attacks through your boiling rage long enough, you could check my posting history and see I was an advocate for blended learning. I'm unsure there is much value in moving to it now having foolishly pushed for full opening, especially if the infections aren't being driven by kids in school, but instead staff bringing it onf rom the community 👍 

15 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I completely disagree going by your previous posts on here. It’s quite blatant what you’re opinion on it is, thus why any time evidence is provided you are straight in with two feet trying to dodge it.

It is mainly @renton who has been discussing the "evidence", none of which actually shows exactly what you want it to show. Sorry about that. 

You either can't read, or you're so incandescent you're mistaking me for someone else

2f7.jpg

Edited by madwullie

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Absolutely bizarre that a public servant would give an interview like this whilst his colleagues in the council are working their bollocks off trying to get people to follow the rules.

Two groups of people in this new society, the healthy people and the old/vulnerable.

The society within a society idea can work but we will need to have ID cards to make sure we know who is who.  

The society within (over 65's and vulnerable) will not be allowed to go into pubs, restaurants, public buildings like museums, libraries, the work place etc. shopping centres, sports stadiums and on and on. This way we can protect and shield them and at the same time go about our lives as normal. 

I like the little beefs that break out on this thread, two basically random posters start facing off for a couple of pages and are then never heard of again.

Anyway, the number of incidents is interesting but there have been numerous reports of widespread incidents at Universities and in accommodation (I assume the figure includes cases in Halls of Residence). I haven’t heard of any incidents in schools that match any of those, with dozens or hundreds of cases. There was one incident in a school in Dundee but I’ve not heard of any since then. The last time I looked at the stats for school closures in Scotland seven schools were closed due to Covid. Now, there have been partial closures (one class in Juniper Green primary were sent home as their teacher tested positive) and there might be widespread cases that aren’t publicised for various reasons. It does seem to me that if Covid is being spread via schools it’s likely to be a low level background spread rather than any big clusters that are easily identifiable.

To conclude, people who want to go for a pint want to kill the elderly and condemn our young people to a lifetime of ignorance and parents are willing to risk everyone’s health in order to bundle their children into plague pits for free child care.

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I like the little beefs that break out on this thread, two basically random posters start facing off for a couple of pages and are then never heard of again.

Anyway, the number of incidents is interesting but there have been numerous reports of widespread incidents at Universities and in accommodation (I assume the figure includes cases in Halls of Residence). I haven’t heard of any incidents in schools that match any of those, with dozens or hundreds of cases. There was one incident in a school in Dundee but I’ve not heard of any since then. The last time I looked at the stats for school closures in Scotland seven schools were closed due to Covid. Now, there have been partial closures (one class in Juniper Green primary were sent home as their teacher tested positive) and there might be widespread cases that aren’t publicised for various reasons. It does seem to me that if Covid is being spread via schools it’s likely to be a low level background spread rather than any big clusters that are easily identifiable.

To conclude, people who want to go for a pint want to kill the elderly and condemn our young people to a lifetime of ignorance and parents are willing to risk everyone’s health in order to bundle their children into plague pits for free child care.

f**k you

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Setting aside the moral/political/scientific arguments, wouldn't the average age come down the more it spreads?

Not necessarily. All that has really changed to make it appear like things are skewing younger now is that more testing is being done on mild and asymptomatic cases compared to back in March and April. The age profile on who actually dies is unlikely to change that much.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Given her facepalm-inducing comments in one of todays Sunday rags, it looks highly unlikely that Ferrier's going to give up her MP position any time soon:

Covid “makes you act out of character”.

"You feel you’re getting a lot of criticism from people you thought were your colleagues or friends who would understand it was one blip"

“It may be a serious error of judgment. I’m not denying that. People may be saying, ‘You should have known better, you’re a public figure’.

“But at the end of the day it still hurts. You then think is all that hard work and dedication just wiped away?”

So it's Covid's fault now, not hers.

Without trying to be too judgemental, she looks and acts like the sort of person that would be doing well to be on £20k p/a in any other walk of life.  Therefore, another 3 years at £80k p/a to potentially ride out would be roughly worth a decades pay in another role (can't be arsed working out the exact value taking tax bands into account etc).  Not a chance she'll give that up without being dragged out kicking and screaming.

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Given her comments in one of the Sunday rags, it looks highly unlikely that Ferrier's going to give up her MP position with these facepalm-inducing quotes.

Without trying to be too judgemental, she looks like the sort of person that would be doing well to be on £20k p/a in any other walk of life.  Therefore, another 3 years at £80k p/a to potentially ride out would be roughly worth a decades pay in another role (can't be arsed working out the exact value taking tax bands into account etc).

Yeah I'm a constituent of hers, and much as I would fucking love (keegan style) independence, she is going to cost votes here if she clings on till the next GE. She has to understand that no one person is bigger than the cause and she needs to file herself in the bin ASAP. 

Sorry you fucked up and that, but GTF

11 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Theres some outrageously blinkered chat in this thread about schools and the impact of closing them or moving to blended learning.

*Simplistic....? Wee bit aye, but no more so than "Git the schools shut!!!!"

I presume that you work in a school then Bairnardo, and therefore have first hand experience of what it is like, on the ground. 'Outrageously blinkered chat' about blended learning...does that include John Swinney, who was all set to implement that model in June? 

Jason Leitch last week was talking about 'small areas where lots of people congregate together, with less than a metre distancing in place, and poor ventilation being the main threats....oh he added with alcohol on sale as well, but take out the alcohol part, and you are basically talking about schools.

Again, I don't actually know anyone who is advocating closing schools. I also agree that the blended learning ship has sailed now, and that we won't see any changes. The reason the govt U-turned on this again was due to the fire from most notably 'Us for Them' in the summer. I also agree that kids need to be in school to not only have first hand teaching contact, but also to see their friends, and that closures of schools are harmful for both.

However.....the bottom line remains that the govt have effectively treated school staff and pupils differently from other sectors, in a bid to court votes. 

Am also still interested in figures which claim that 4% of English transmission is coming from hospitality, and nearly 40% from education (both schools and universities)...although I am assured that these figures 'are out of context', and don't add any weight to the overall discussion.

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Given her facepalm-inducing comments in one of todays Sunday rags, it looks highly unlikely that Ferrier's going to give up her MP position any time soon:

Without trying to be too judgemental, she looks and acts like the sort of person that would be doing well to be on £20k p/a in any other walk of life.  Therefore, another 3 years at £80k p/a to potentially ride out would be roughly worth a decades pay in another role (can't be arsed working out the exact value taking tax bands into account etc).  Not a chance she'll give that up without being dragged out kicking and screaming.

Cummings rode out the storm so she's probably decided to do the same, while hoping that someone else moves into the firing line next week. 

Plus side is that Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP have completely condemned her actions. 

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

She likely to get suspended by the HoC for more than ten working days, which will trigger a recall vote requiring 10% of her constituents, and then a by election. Can't see her winning as an independent.