Coronavirus (COVID-19)

22 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Younger than I am. Any health problems? (I'm sure you've more to do than give out this sort of information to strangers on an internet forum at the present time, quite understand if you don't reply.)

3 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Most of these comments appear to come from those without kids of their own (or any prospect of the partner/sex life combination requird to get one)

3 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

When you see how children are referred to by some (and I'm guessing again, we're talking non-parents) you (or at least I) begin to think the likes of VT and his mates actually are nasty, immature  little shits.

Hmm.

Younger than I am. Any health problems? (I'm sure you've more to do than give out this sort of information to strangers on an internet forum at the present time, quite understand if you don't reply.)

Nah not really. Doesnt smoke. Likes a drink. He has been pretty blasé about the whole coronavirus so hopefully this is a wake up call

4 hours ago, superbigal said:

This has been out for a while. My Wife signed up 4th October as Health staff also eligible. Not had a reply which is poor.   I wonder why some teachers only hearing about it now ?

I was told a few weeks ago and signed up, but it wasn't something that was sent to us from the council or from our unions either.  I think one of the other teachers I work with sent it in our WhatsApp group.  Not everyone will get asked to do it though, I think there are limited numbers to start with. 

Most of these comments appear to come from those without kids of their own (or any prospect of the partner/sex life combination requird to get one), who have no understanding of the complexities of trying to provide for a family in a country where the "Dad works and Mum looks after the kids" model - something under threat even when I was a kid - is never ever coming back. Take one element out of the equation, and a lot of peoples' lives become very complex indeed. For those who have also lost the childminding help from parents and possibly one, or even both incomes, this is about a wee bit more than scoring points on the Internet.  When you see how children are referred to by some (and I'm guessing again, we're talking non-parents) you (or at least I) begin to think the likes of VT and his mates actually are nasty, immature  little shits.
Having kids then deciding that the grandparents need to look after them is a totally selfish thing to do.
We want jobs and kids and holidays and to go out boozing. OK let's dump them onto the grandparents.
My auntie and uncle split up because of it. Cousin mostly used them at the weekend so she could go out in the piss.
Mums and dads who can't afford anything other than getting grandparents to help is a different story and hopefully just a temporary situation. I'd feel guilty to dump my kids onto another family member.

Having kids then deciding that the grandparents need to look after them is a totally selfish thing to do.
We want jobs and kids and holidays and to go out boozing. OK let's dump them onto the grandparents.
My auntie and uncle split up because of it. Cousin mostly used them at the weekend so she could go out in the piss.
Mums and dads who can't afford anything other than getting grandparents to help is a different story and hopefully just a temporary situation. I'd feel guilty to dump my kids onto another family member.
My daughter is a single parent and was really worried when the blended model was announced - she already juggles things as they are to fit in her work and child care. Any changes to hours/pay as well as if our granddaughter is in school (or not) causes issues for her Universal Credit claim.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Would you resent it if your relatives looked after you when you get too old to look after yourself? Britain's got a very weird attitude to family responsibilities. We'd rather depend on a shortly to end flow of young immigrants to do the job for us.

Edited by welshbairn

It's never as simple as this.

You're right that some people abuse the favours, and don't take enough responsibility for their own weans.

But raising kids isn't easy, and the more positive influences on kids the better.

Would you resent it if your relatives looked after you when you get too old to look after yourself? Britain's got a very weird attitude to family responsibilities. We'd rather depend on a shortly to end flow of young immigrants to do the job for us.
Some sort of a balance is ok not just dumping kids permanently onto grandparents. I guess I'm biased because of what happened to my relatives.
Cousin is selfish, probably doesn't even realise that she ruined her parents lives when they were supposed to be enjoying retirement.