Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Was out tonight and noticed less adherence to wearing face coverings than previous.

Excluding myself, in the off licence there was 1 out of 4 (but said covering was under his chin)

In the takeaway, none out of 5.

Unsure whether these folk have never bothered or have got tired of it.

3 minutes ago, Markka said:

Was out tonight and noticed less adherence to wearing face coverings than previous.

Excluding myself, in the off licence there was 1 out of 4 (but said covering was under his chin)

How do folk get tired or wearing a mask? Feel like we need a good war tbh.

2 minutes ago, Markka said:

Likewise in Asda this evening seen several folk with no face coverings including 3 couples.

I just think at 8pm in a relatively dead Asda they don’t give a f**k simply.

Do folk really think we'll do the same as NI? they're doing it because their hospitals are already in serious trouble, is that true in Scotland?
That's the worry in the medium to long term.

Every winter there is a hospital crisis which makes the news, with some worse than others. Covid has landed in amongst that, both in terms of extra patients needing critical beds, but also in disrupting normal hospital routines which reduces their capacity.

We need our health service to get to grips with exactly what is needed, and where. We should have continued to focus on ramping up capacity in order to manage this crisis.

If we focus on that then the numbers contracting the virus become a bit less relevant.

I'm hoping the Scottish health boards are run better than their counterparts - but that might be wishful thinking.

Likewise in Asda this evening seen several folk with no face coverings including 3 couples.
Generally I've seen much more % wearing face coverings in supermarkets than small shops, but was still surprised tonight that I was the only customer I saw wearing one (two of the takeaway staff were also)

13 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

That's the worry in the medium to long term.

Every winter there is a hospital crisis which makes the news, with some worse than others. Covid has landed in amongst that, both in terms of extra patients needing critical beds, but also in disrupting normal hospital routines which reduces their capacity.

We need our health service to get to grips with exactly what is needed, and where. We should have continued to focus on ramping up capacity in order to manage this crisis.

If we focus on that then the numbers contracting the virus become a bit less relevant.

I'm hoping the Scottish health boards are run better than their counterparts - but that might be wishful thinking.

Hospital admissions are half of what they were in April but the number of cases is stubbornly high.  If there isnt too much of a negative effect over Xmas then could possibly (and justifiably) avoid a full lockdown but dont see much of west central Scotland getting below tier 3 before the spring.

32 minutes ago, Markka said:

I'm thinking the latter.  I was in my local shop earlier and a large group of workers of the luminous jacket type came in for some lunch stuff.  Only one of them was wearing any form of face covering and the store worker behind the till, which is right next to the front door, said absolutely nothing despite him being one of the more senior folk there.

What really pissed me off was them queuing up close behind me, and when a couple of feet extra opened up between myself and the person in front which saw me taking take two steps forward to give myself a bit more space, the twat behind also took two steps toward.  As  much as I wanted to say f*** off, I couldn't help but feel that saying it to a (probable) building site worker who couldn't be f***ed wearing a mask in the first place would have ended any other way than a complete shitfest.  

Edited by Hedgecutter

34 minutes ago, Markka said:

31 minutes ago, 101 said:

How do folk get tired or wearing a mask? Feel like we need a good war tbh.

29 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

In Tesco this evening. Every shopper and every member of staff wearing an appropriate face covering. My experience is while a small number of folks don't wear a mask the vast majority do.

8 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

In Tesco this evening. Every shopper and every member of staff wearing an appropriate face covering. My experience is while a small number of folks don't wear a mask the vast majority do.

Same up here m9. That's why we're #level 1.. :guinness

56 minutes ago, Markka said:

I've found in actual supermarkets people seem to adhere to the rules quite well but the local shop no one gives a shit including the staff, when I was in on Saturday the girl serving had her mask round her chin. Can't say I'm hugely surprised but I'd imagine it's the same all over.

Said it several months ago when all the 'Ohhhh. We'll put you back in lockdown if you don't behave' manoeuvring started that the action of putting people in lockdown with no actual criteria set or long term gameplan to avoid more lockdowns other than to give a vague promise of 'bUt ThE vAcCiNe Is CoMiNg' would very quickly discourage and disengage people. That they'd only have a certain amount of times they can use 'protect the NHS' as a justifiable reason when they aren't actually being seen to do anything to proactively protect the NHS other than just shutting places down and forcing people out of work. Lockdowns are proven to stem the spread but don't actually contribute to fixing the issue.

And now it's coming to pass. The constant flip-flopping between tiers, lockdowns, restrictions and the seemingly different criteria for what constitutes a region going into a certain tier between the north and south of England is now causing major fatigue and massive worry about people's ability to survive and actually pay bills and will lead to a lot more people simply disregarding the already really fucking flimsy criteria in place.

I'm not so certain that this will replicate in Scotland though. The major difference is that none of the other 3 nations have elections coming up in the first half of 2021. Cynical as it is, forcing another, stricter lockdown in the first part of 2021, mere months from the Scottish elections will raise a lot of anger and questions and of course, will undoubtedly harm the SNP's prospects in the elections.

That’s why I can’t see us copying wales and NI I’m going into a full lockdown.

Numbers are down, and hopefully the closure of schools for 2 weeks keeps them low, even with the inevitable mixing of households that’s going to happen.

Bit of sympathy for small businesses not taking on customers who don't wear a mask. Firstly, these situations can escalate quickly, and it's quite often young guys refusing. And secondly, some of these shops and takeaways could be struggling financially - and certainly don't want to alienate local customers.

It was always going to be difficult to enforce.

I was heartened in my barbers when the woman challenged the young guy coming in. His answer of 'asthma' got short shrift and he was handed a mask, and duly obliged. But i can see why a lot of staff and shops don't want to take that kind of action on a regular basis.

35 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Bit of sympathy for small businesses not taking on customers who don't wear a mask. Firstly, these situations can escalate quickly, and it's quite often young guys refusing. And secondly, some of these shops and takeaways could be struggling financially - and certainly don't want to alienate local customers.

I was heartened in my barbers when the woman challenged the young guy coming in. His answer of 'asthma' got short shrift and he was handed a mask, and duly obliged. But i can see why a lot of staff and shops don't want to take that kind of action on a regular basis.

Would agree with this.

Supermarkets however should be stopping from anyone coming in without a mask/covering. If someone tried to bullshit 'but asthma' or any other medical condition, they should be given the option of mask or they aren't getting in, because they can't be that ill if they're able to fire around the shop during a pandemic. 

Supermarkets should also have security doing 'rounds' more often to ensure that the selfish idiots who walk around with their mask under their chin or otherwise not wearing it right (or even not at all) after they enter are told to cut it out. Security should also be ensuring that folk aren't doing what Hedgecutter noted when queuing.

I feel we are being kept in the dark about how this all seems to be getting out of control again. Folk in Edinburgh in general seem to be complying from what I've seen.  Pubs have been shut here since September/early Oct, cinemas etc have been closed for months, and football grounds closed. We are pretty much in lockdown apart from being able to get a coffee or a happy meal if we want. Therefore there must be a key driver to all of this that needs to be dealt with in order for things to try and function again.

If it is the schools then get the classes on zoom calls and adapt to these times. If they battle on with keeping schools open then we'll end up with pretty much every other industry financially gubbed. 

A Northern Ireland style lockdown from say 27th/28th December will be a huge kick in the nuts.

Edited by Cameron1875

51 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

How do you know they're not alienating people who do wear masks and won't go back if other customers don't?

Is there anything you can't turn in to a dilemma?

It's quite simple "Sorry mate, wear a mask or no wine/fags/kebab". Or " Sorry dear if you don't wear a mask you can't get the People's Friend".

4 minutes ago, Cameron1875 said:

I feel we are being kept in the dark about how this all seems to be getting out of control again. Folk in Edinburgh in general seem to be complying from what I've seen.  Pubs have been shut here since September/early Oct, cinemas etc have been closed for months, and football grounds closed. We are pretty much in lockdown apart from being able to get a coffee or a happy meal if we want. Therefore there must be a key driver to all of this that needs to be dealt with in order for things to try and function again.

If it is the schools then get the classes on zoom calls and adapt to these times. If they battle on with keeping schools open then we'll end up with pretty much every other industry financially gubbed. 

A Northern Ireland style lockdown from say 27th/28th December will be a huge kick in the nuts.

s-l300.jpg

You better get these then.

7 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

How do you know they're not alienating people who do wear masks and won't go back if other customers don't?

Is there anything you can't turn in to a dilemma?

It's quite simple "Sorry mate, wear a mask or no wine/fags/kebab". Or " Sorry dear if you don't wear a mask you can't get the People's Friend".

My aforementioned shop has already lost a decent amount of trade from me just because it can be overloaded and they do little about it.  Half the problem are the staff who cause havoc with the one way system down the narrow aisles by not following it.

Depending on the mood, I'll often go up to the rival shop 10 mins walk further along and say to myself "ach, I'll get a better walk out of it".  That or say "I can do without today, I'll get at at the supermarket tomorrow). 

Would agree with this.
Supermarkets however should be stopping from anyone coming in without a mask/covering. If someone tried to bullshit 'but asthma' or any other medical condition, they should be given the option of mask or they aren't getting in, because they can't be that ill if they're able to fire around the shop during a pandemic. 
Supermarkets should also have security doing 'rounds' more often to ensure that the selfish idiots who walk around with their mask under their chin or otherwise not wearing it right (or even not at all) after they enter are told to cut it out. Security should also be ensuring that folk aren't doing what Hedgecutter noted when queuing.
One size fits all bullshit.