Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Back from getting tested there, got a slot easy as anything this morning and the whole thing was seamless. I'll hold my breath before getting results but seems like the testing side of things is running smoothly. Makes me wonder why mass testing isnt getting considered more.

Just heard that the (literally) tinpot Clap for Carers is making a comeback.
1250004991_tenor(23).gif.324407d63ba94e19a80aace4340412d7.gif

See in amongst the all the shite that has happened this year, the whole clapping for the NHS is up there as the biggest pish ever

6 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

No doubt the Facebook shame your neighbour crew will be out in force for not clapping.

Led by the fat leggings wearing maws that had 20 over at Christmas, numerous parties and did whatever they wanted all through this.   Raging that they can't get a referral to see a surgeon for their superficial varicose veins that they have had for twenty years before calling health care professional a c**t and hanging up.  That was one of my charmers yesterday.

Still as long as it fills the gap left by the one show.  

Not to worry, you'll be able to pay your mortgage and bills with all of that lovely applause and pot-banging.  

10 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

The 80% was in reference to the fact that 600k people die every year in the UK, and 500k on top of that would represent an increase of (just over) 80%. Nonsense.

The 500k figure was calculated by a professor with a track record of wild overestimates, using dated, sloppy code, which produced a result which couldn't be replicated by anyone else. He also made a number of assumptions for the likes of CFR and population susceptibility that we now know to be false.

If you want to give him the benefit of the doubt and (arguably correctly) say he could not have known this at the time then that's fine, but the model used was so flawed that you cannot use his 500,000 figure as a yardstick for measuring the effectiveness of the measures we took.

Did they reduce the pressure on the NHS during the Spring, Summer and Autumn? Perhaps.

Did they save any lives? I wouldn't be surprised if, when all is said and done, it's found that while they may have helped delay a large number of deaths by a few months, they didn't actually save (m)any.

The link you provides places excess deaths for the year at around 13.3% if we assume all of the covid deaths within 28 days of a positive result would not have otherwise occured (unlikely) then excess under that measure were around 11%

Given the huge majority of these deaths were in elderly people, the vaccine will prevent most of those happening again, massively reducing that number in 2021 and beyond.

What we cannot do going forward is shovel the same amount of resources again at maybe preventing ~10,000 deaths following the rollout of the vaccine (1.6% excess) because, as Whitty says, people die. That, to me, is an acceptable level of risk for a country of 66m, and it is important that he has used those words, as it indicates that he does not advocate a futile "zero covid" approach.

I don't think anyone can put a number of deaths on what would happen if you flood every hospital in the UK, I would have thought 500,000 would be a bit conservative tbh.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Finally people in and out of UK getting tested.
Only took eight months to realise.

I'm actually against this, travelers in and out of the UK should have been put in the airport hotels fed 3 times a day and then let out with a negative test after 10 days. As far as I know a single test is pretty useless because it can't tell if the virus is in incubation and if you have a negative test surely you will be a bit less careful. If you have to go abroad then the price for that is 10 days in a hotel it might even put some chancers off going.

4 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

*DelBosqueOoft.gif*

Something tells me that the "woman" wants a bit more publicity. Seems ridiculous that we will see Boris out clapping after he put their balls in a vice.

37 minutes ago, virginton said:

Just heard that the (literally) tinpot Clap for Carers is making a comeback.

1250004991_tenor(23).gif.324407d63ba94e19a80aace4340412d7.gif

Hancock should double down on his badge idea from the Spring by commissioning a Panini sticker album to support the NHS.

Just think how much personal sunshine, rainbows and unicorns will be created by winning the race to collect all the parts of the shiny Captain Tom.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I'm actually against this, travelers in and out of the UK should have been put in the airport hotels fed 3 times a day and then let out with a negative test after 10 days. As far as I know a single test is pretty useless because it can't tell if the virus is in incubation and if you have a negative test surely you will be a bit less careful. If you have to go abroad then the price for that is 10 days in a hotel it might even put some chancers off going.

I’ve heard this a few times, are people contagious whilst in the undetected incubation stage? In any case this is something test makers need to catch up on. I mean i know science is w bit busy the now but by the time someone is actually sick the you’re already playing a massive game of catch up . Thos as much as a vaccine will get us out of this pish

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Hancock should double down on his badge idea from the Spring by comissioning a Panini sticker album to support the NHS.

Just think how much personal sunshine, rainbows and unicorns will be created by winning the race to collect all the parts of the shiny Captain Tom.

No doubt I'd still end up with 4 copies of some boring c**t like Jamie McQuilken or a shiny St Johnstone badge that everyone already has.

8 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I’ve heard this a few times, are people contagious whilst in the undetected incubation stage? In any case this is something test makers need to catch up on. I mean i know science is w bit busy the now but by the time someone is actually sick the you’re already playing a massive game of catch up . Thos as much as a vaccine will get us out of this pish

No pretty sure you're not contagious at incubation but obviously if someone told you that you are negative then youre not going to think 4 days later that you are positive well I don't think many folk would.

9 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

*DelBosqueOoft.gif*

1. I had no idea there was a person "behind" the idea - I just thought all of these things were developed by a Facebook algorithm and then shared by boring people.

2. Since when did "Annemarie Plas" become the Secretary of State for Thursday Nights?

3. How did she manage to confirm this? I really, really hope a tabloid has desperately phoned her up to make sure they're allowed to clap on a Thursday.

4. When it was Clap for Carers, there was at least a stupid, empty, self-satisfying reason and aim. What the f**k is "#clapforheroes", and why do they only need applause because Annemarie Plas now says they do?

5. I'm sure everyone will be delighted to stand out in -5 degrees on a Thursday night and not be able to feel their fingers while clapping. Hospital admissions will skyrocket with oldies slipping on their doorstep due to ice too so well done Annemarie!

6. As has already been said, around 75% of those clapping will have had gaffs since October. 

7. If that c**t in my street with the trumpet makes an appearance then his/her house will be getting egged. 

8. f**k off. 

As long as they're paying for it. That's a good idea. PCR is better than nothing and for the 100k or so tested it will show up positives and stop the spread.

5 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Indeed, I really felt for our reception staff yesterday, abused all day because the health board instructed practices to cancel all non essential appointments which in their criteria includes things like vitamin b injections.  The abuse these girls took from mouth breathing morons was ridiculous yet no doubt they will be the ones out clapping.

We received plenty of abuse on the phones to from our delightful punters, ahm no caring aboot a fucking pandemic ah want seen fur ma sare back av had fur twa hours.  Have you tried analgesia sir, naw ah dinnae take tablets etc etc etc.

You kind of think what's the fucking point, so many of our public are ignorant selfish twats that only give a f**k about number themselves.  Soul destroying at times.  

They won't consider GP receptionists "healthcare workers", though.

5 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Indeed, I really felt for our reception staff yesterday, abused all day because the health board instructed practices to cancel all non essential appointments which in their criteria includes things like vitamin b injections.  The abuse these girls took from mouth breathing morons was ridiculous yet no doubt they will be the ones out clapping.

We received plenty of abuse on the phones to from our delightful punters, ahm no caring aboot a fucking pandemic ah want seen fur ma sare back av had fur twa hours.  Have you tried analgesia sir, naw ah dinnae take tablets etc etc etc.

You kind of think what's the fucking point, so many of our public are ignorant selfish twats that only give a f**k about number themselves.  Soul destroying at times.  

So in the same way hospitality staff should be given one glassing NHS given one free killing.

When my grandad was in hospital there was a violent man tried to attack some nurses and instead of flinging him out of hospital they put a security guard in with the nurses. Surely if you're going to f**k with the people looking after you then you aren't the brightest button in the box. This guy was was just a nasty piece of work and his condition didn't excuse his behaviour.