Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, 101 said:

Tbf I don't believe the borders will ever close but you should have to quarantine 10 days before you go and 10 days once you come back, I don't see that as unreasonable at the moment.

While it's true borders won't close, if we were to end up implementing anything as extreme as in Australia or New Zealand etc, it's as good as that in reality. I just don't think it's sustainable, not in Europe anyway.

And if you can't work from home you can't just go and then work while isolating. Once vaccines are rolled out to the majority of the population in Europe I again just can't see quarantine remaining a tenable position.

5 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

284,582 people have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccination and 3, 886 have received their second dose

Today's figures, just under 20k done.

The figures are increasing as we move away from care homes which is good and expected.

Hopefully hit about 25k per day by the end of the week.

It's still a wee bit shite, though. If we have already worked our way through the vast majority of care homes I'd really like to see the pace pick up.

We are planning some large daily numbers in the not too distant future, and, as we do have a relatively large stock atm, we really should be doing more now.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Well you've been misled. The virus that started in China wasn't the same variant that hit Italy. The variant that hit Italy wasn't the same one that hit Brazil. And so on. It's been mutating since it left China early last year, but it's only since December that news agencies have taken any notice. Of course if we have evidence that a new variant is more transmissible and more deadly then it's news worthy, but we don't really have evidence supporting that.

The flu virus mutates every year, people still get a vaccine for it and it still works. The stuff being pumped out daily now every time a slight mutation happens is there to scare rather than inform, as evidenced by the scientists saying "we don't know anything yet".

I have sympathy with them being asked that because if they say its nothing and something did change for the worse their career would likely be over.

The media need to be told to pipe down, that it's perfectly normal to find variants, that it will more than likely make no difference, and in the unlikely event there is a negative impact from one then they will announce it.

"Within households, children and adolescents were less susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection but were more infectious than older individuals. Presymptomatic cases were more infectious and individuals with asymptomatic infection less infectious than symptomatic cases. These findings have implications for devising interventions for blocking household transmission of SARS-CoV-2, such as timely vaccination of eligible children once resources become available".

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30981-6/fulltext

Edited by Have some faith in Magic

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I have sympathy with them being asked that because if they say its nothing and something did change for the worse their career would likely be over.

The media need to be told to pipe down, that it's perfectly normal to find variants, that it will more than likely make no difference, and in the unlikely event there is a negative impact from one then they will announce it.

It needs to come from our leaders though. They are the fucking cheerleaders of pure doom at present. If they shot down certain negativity, things wouldn't be reported so negatively.

After speaking about the JCVI group getting vaccinated by May, NS them spoke about that measurements such as physical distancing, masks, hygeine (I'd like to fucking think so) and maybe travel restrictions, will need to remain in place for "some time".

I don't like the open endedness of the phase "some time". What we looking at? Weeks? Months? Years?

I really dislike Ruth Davidson, but her first question was particularly good to the FM. She did not address why, if we have hundreds of thousands of doses, why they're not getting into folks arms at a much higher rate. Lot of bluster and blame placed at UK government, and I think she kind of accused the UK government of massaging the figures a bit in terms of how many doses have been delivered but I may have misinterpreted...

2 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

I noticed international travel was mentioned in the remaining restrictions after all adults were given their first injection. 

The other "restrictions" all seem what people would expect, such as social distancing. 

Social distancing, if still being employed, say Oct / Nov / Dec then football, concert venues etc is in for a very difficult year.

1 minute ago, RH33 said:

Schools shut until “at least mid feb”.

Fortnightly reviews on schools are shit, esp high schools, how f**k are they meant to plan. 

Based on my kids school, I don't think much planning has gone on anyway so won't make much difference. 🙈

3 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

I noticed international travel was mentioned in the remaining restrictions after all adults were given their first injection. 

The other "restrictions" all seem what people would expect, such as social distancing. 

I feel unrestricted international travel will be restricted until an acceptable number of adults have had their second dose.

Level 0 restrictions domestically will likely be hanging around until then too.

I'm not going to get annoyed about it as it won't do me any good, so i'll divert my annoyance to the pace of the vaccine roll out if it continues to trundle along at an unacceptably slow pace.

23 hours ago, superbigal said:

So Scotgov live and extending the full lockdown for another 2 weeks.  No suprise but is it justified ?   

The UK stands at 487.1 cases per 100K Infections for the latest reported 7 day figure.

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan

From 9th to 15th January we were down to  216.6

Todays figure for 10th Jan to 16th Jan is 210.5   Another single Day drop of 2.82%  and a drop from the peak of OVER 30%   We are now running at just over 43% compared to the UK.

In my opinion ScotGov is extending lockdown because they simply  can get away with it due to the doom and gloom in England. We actually only have 2 councils who fit the simple Tier 4 scenario for infection rate. Hopefully by the end of January extending the lockdown will look ludicrous. On current trajectory infections would drop to under 150 cases per 100K by Jan 31

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Glasgow City   334.5 to 324.1     The slow decline in the largest city no doubt not helping the rest of us. 

North Lanarkshire  328.7 to 313.4   

Renfrewshire    299.8 to 287.0  

North Ayrshire 285.0 to 275.3 

Clackmannanshire  263.9 to 265.8  One of very few councils climbing the charts

Dumfries & Galloway  267.4 to 264.7  Only Stranraer South now over 1000

Inverclyde   266.1 to 260.9

East Ayrshire  262.3 to 260.6

South Lanarkshire    255.5 to 252.1

East Dunbartonshire     259.6 to 243.9

West Dunbartonshire    242.9 to 237.3

Then onto the 1st North or East side of the Country appearance

Aberdeen City  241.0 to 234.0