Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Last time I checked, flu kills thousands of people in the UK as well. And we don't have even remotely as effective a vaccine for it. 

So why don't we shut down for flu? Are those lives less valuable than those lost to Covid 19, or are you in fact in the process of an irrational cranial detachment?

The figures for flu deaths over the past 20 years are absolutely staggering. Some people just dont get it. 

I've taken to the past year quite well given I've still been working and am an anti-social freak with no friends anyway
But
If you think a zero covid approach is appropriate or necessary to restore life to pre-pandemic levels then you're either an idiot or just plain fucking dangerous. Aside from the fact it's going to be physically impossible unless you put all of Scotland under a giant dome from now until the end of time, thinking it's the approach we should take just means you're never going to countenance any reasonable measures that would allow opening up society as vaccinated numbers go up and case numbers come down. 
I only see goons like Sridhar and Leitch when they're posted on here, but the former's fascination with eradicating the virus before any kind of normality reeks of being self-serving at best and infuriatingly thick at worst. What's concerning is replies to her tweets seem to think she's right. The world can't live in a state of limbo in perpetuity just because you're scared by a number. 
Exactly. It's glaringly obvious from NS talking that the UKG border announcement isn't going to be as severe as she hoped. Presumably he will limit hotel isolation to specic countries whereas she clearly wants it to apply to all arrivals. Zero civic is a fantasy when you have a land border with a country not having the same blanket policy as she Hope's for. Unless she seriously thinks she can close the border with England it's a total pipe dream.

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

We were nowhere close to eradicating it.   It was still at large in asymptomatic people that therefore weren't picked up by testing.

I'll stick with the experts if its all the same, who have all said for a short while we had virtually eradicated it.

This is also why we're going to have to have mass testing of the whole population at some point once we have eradicated it. 

10 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Who cares?  You don't govern the country, so what you will 'accept' is of zero importance.

Harsh, you've hurt my feelings now.

I'm representative of many people who are supportive though, so actually I do matter as do we all.

We're all Gods children remember !!

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I disagree.

I don't like the idea, but i'd be prepared to put up with them for a few months if normality was what the reward would be.

As it isn't, then why should we?

A common comparison is what they did in Australia / NZ. However normality was their reward there.

They are asking everything of us, yet giving nothing back.

Yeah that's nonsense mate. In order to get to normality we have to get to zero Covid. Why do you think NZ has normality?  Cause they don't have Covid.  How did they get there? By putting in the most severe restrictions on earth. So how are we going to get there? I'll let you hazard a guess

Why did Swinney say yesterday that Scotlands border/quarantine measures would go as far as, if not further than Englands if the Scottish government has no powers in these matters then?
Not sure but my bet is they won't close the England border which would be required for the zero Covid fantasy.

2 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I'll stick with the experts if its all the same, who have all said for a short while we had virtually eradicated it.

This is also why we're going to have to have mass testing of the whole population at some point once we have eradicated it. 

Please provide a reputable source that stated we were close to eradicating it.

47 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

There's definitely a sliding doors history to be written on what happens if Boris Johnson dies in intensive care last April.

Would we have avoided this winter catastrophe? Half of all COVID deaths in Britain have come since November.

We were told by the court whisperers that his 'near death experience' changed him, but there's f**k all evidence to suggest it.

Or is it simply the case that neoliberalism/right wing populism is just completely incompatible with protecting the public?

The last bit. Absolutely the last bit. 

3 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Yeah that's nonsense mate. In order to get to normality we have to get to zero Covid. Why do you think NZ has normality?  Cause they don't have Covid.  How did they get there? By putting in the most severe restrictions on earth. So how are we going to get there? I'll let you hazard a guess

Pretty sure they had a case the other day. Community transmission too. Odd that, given "they don't have covid"

Had you read my reply, rather than assume everyone is biting at your obvious trolling, you will also see that your reply makes no sense RE: restrictions.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I didn't catch all the briefing, but it was heavy on 'travel' and strong hints at whats forthcoming.

Did she specify what restricting travel actually meant? Will I be confined to my local authority for the year, or will I be free to travel in and around Scotland and / or the UK?

For what it's worth, I'm favour adopting the Aus / NZ way - principally because I'm sick of seeing packed football stadiums from Australia on a Saturday morning and need that back in my life.

11 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've taken to the past year quite well given I've still been working and am an anti-social freak with no friends anyway

But

If you think a zero covid approach is appropriate or necessary to restore life to pre-pandemic levels then you're either an idiot or just plain fucking dangerous. Aside from the fact it's going to be physically impossible unless you put all of Scotland under a giant dome from now until the end of time, thinking it's the approach we should take just means you're never going to countenance any reasonable measures that would allow opening up society as vaccinated numbers go up and case numbers come down. 

I only see goons like Sridhar and Leitch when they're posted on here, but the former's fascination with eradicating the virus before any kind of normality reeks of being self-serving at best and infuriatingly thick at worst. What's concerning is replies to her tweets seem to think she's right. The world can't live in a state of limbo in perpetuity just because you're scared by a number. 

Its just the way it is mate.

How could go to a nightclub if there's only a small chance you could catch your death?

How can you have sixty thousand people packed into a football stadium? Do you realise what a couple of cases of Covid could do in that environment?  Within a few weeks one football game could cause a hundred thousand cases. 

Its not possible to go back to normal until it is eradicated completely. 

That's not to say some restrictions can't be lifted as cases fall, but for life to go back to normal, which is what everyone wants, it needs to be gone completely.

It absolutely blows my mind that anyone could disagree with that, and is just classic cognitive dissonance.

I didn't catch all the briefing, but it was heavy on 'travel' and strong hints at whats forthcoming.
Did she specify what restricting travel actually meant? Will I be confined to my local authority for the year, or will I be free to travel in and around Scotland and / or the UK?
For what it's worth, I'm favour adopting the Aus / NZ way - principally because I'm sick of seeing packed football stadiums from Australia on a Saturday morning and need that back in my life.
It's foreign travel that was being hinted at no mention of any changes to Scottish travel restrictions

Australia/NZ - We are imposing strict measures until we vaccinate our population, then we will open up to the world. 

Plague Island UK - We have been riddled throughout the past eleven months though are vaccinating against it, but must now enact strict measures against incomers both during and after vulnerable groups are immunised.

Only one of these positions is sane and rational.

Edited by vikingTON

9 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Youre absolutely spot on. Definitely, lock things down, even til april, ramp up the vaccinations, 24/7, give it a couple weeks for the efficacy to reach peak. We need to accept that we will be living with this virus forever more. 

That's beyond idiotic. Why does NZ not have to accept that and we do?  Cause you want to go see your pals?

4 minutes ago, Steven W said:

This will not be the case. If it’s even the case after about March time then I’ll just be ignoring it completely.

How could go to a nightclub if there's only a small chance you could catch your death?
How can you have sixty thousand people packed into a football stadium? Do you realise what a couple of cases of Covid could do in that environment?  Within a few weeks one football game could cause a hundred thousand cases. 
That's not to say some restrictions can't be lifted as cases fall, but for life to go back to normal, which is what everyone wants, it needs to be gone completely.
It absolutely blows my mind that anyone could disagree with that, and is just classic cognitive dissonance.
What shite 2 cases in a stadium full of vaccinated spectators would cause hee haw problems. Under your plan why bother vaccinating ?

Its not possible to go back to normal until it is eradicated completely

do you actually understand what this means?

Ah, I see we have full blown Helen Lovejoy flavoured Pep today.