Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

So it’s ok to whine about certain things because everyone else is going through it but if you’re on your own then it’s annoying.

Typical selfish mentality. I called it early on this thread, the uk is too self centred, selfish and financially ruined to deal with any emergency.

People planning for holidays during a pandemic, thousands in debt and live a life of disguising it all by drinking themselves stupid every weekend. A nation built on debt and self interest and me me me culture. What goes around comes around. 

Boo fucking hoo.

So glad we have selfless D.A.F.C to balance out everyone else being selfish, eh?

Careful the door doesn't knock you off that high horse on the way out 😂

Edited by Todd_is_God

25 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

A million jags. A million.

Amongst all the faction back and forth on the thread that's an achievement that has passed by quietly.

Well done to everyone in the vaccination roll out programme on this important milestone.

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

MP's were privately reassured by No 10 that this would be the "final lockdown" and, once the most vulnerable had been vaccinated, things would feel a lot more normal by Easter.

Following Mr Shapps's remarks, there is a feeling the government is not just "moving the goalposts" but making up new rules as it goes along.

There are also concerns the PM's "road map" out of lockdown will be rather vague, with no clear signposts or milestones.

That doesn't sound like Johnson...

What? I was expecting my well thought out proposals to be brought up at the daily meetings!

Since I’m not privvy to real decision making my guess is that once thr vaccines ramp up and cases keep falling ( due to the lockdown). They have to be reasonable confident they know what’s going to happen with the A R number and B what that means for serious illness and pressure on the health service. In order to do this it’s going to have to be done in small increments where they still have overall control. I think they’re terrified about having to dail back restrictions a second time after last year’s opening up looked like it was going well for the first couple months.
It’s not really in anyone’s benefit to keep this going in the long term
I think pretty much that is their standpoint. They really want this to be the last "lockdown" but they know they can't actually guarantee that so in an attempt to try to get to that situation they seem determined to drive levels down as low as the possibly can without losing public support.

The frustration in this thread is tangible however it's still not my perception of the public at large based on family, friends and local social media. It still seems to me the govt still have overwhelming support for the path they are on. Maybe in fact probably others will say it's the exact opposite within their social network and that is totally possible but until public opinion swings considerably both govts are going to "chance their arm" to try to delay lifting restrictions as long as possible within the current financial constraints (bar targeted support just can't see another furlough extension).

Places of worship being given any sort of preference is rage-inducing. Pray in the bloody house FFS. 
Schools are expected, but really there needs to be a plan to vaccinate at least secondary school kids. Schools will have the distinction of being the only non-vaccinated setting by August and therefore are basically going to keep the virus in circulation. Perhaps school kids aren't impacted in the same way as some are, but given what we keep hearing about spread of the virus and can't be sure vaccines stop that, schools risk pulling us all down. Not to mention the famous quote that R can't be kept below 1 thanks to the "more infectious Kent variant". 
Asymptomatic testing twice a week for schools will be helpful.

Is there not an issue with vaccines that under-16s don't get them?

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I don’t know if that’s an issue as such or simply that they weren’t tested as part of the trials so therefore not approved.

The frustration in this thread is tangible however it's still not my perception of the public at large based on family, friends and local social media. It still seems to me the govt still have overwhelming support for the path they are on.

The frustration i think comes from, there doesn’t seem to be the optimism that we thought the vaccine would bring. Since the 1st jabs have went into arms, it has been pure pessimism from the press and government. Imo the best thing to do would be to start easing the lockdown and come back down, through the tiers over a period of months until everyones had their second jab. Maybe even go for, once we hit X number, we drop a tier.

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I think pretty much that is their standpoint. They really want this to be the last "lockdown" but they know they can't actually guarantee that so in an attempt to try to get to that situation they seem determined to drive levels down as low as the possibly can without losing public support.

The frustration in this thread is tangible however it's still not my perception of the public at large based on family, friends and local social media. It still seems to me the govt still have overwhelming support for the path they are on. Maybe in fact probably others will say it's the exact opposite within their social network and that is totally possible but until public opinion swings considerably both govts are going to "chance their arm" to try to delay lifting restrictions as long as possible within the current financial constraints (bar targeted support just can't see another furlough extension).

Public opinion will play a distant third or fourth fiddle to media, parliamentary and industry lobby pressure. All of which will be going in the correct direction for our* wider needs.

*The non Helen Lovejoys among us.

5 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

From GP Online,  it was an article end of November so possibly progress since then,

At-risk groups

Vaccine trials in children have only just begun and there are currently 'very limited data on safety and immunogenicity in this group', the guidance adds. Given low risk of severe illness for children and young people and the lack of data on vaccine safety, 'COVID-19 vaccines are not routinely recommended for children and young people under 18 years of age', although vaccination for at-risk under-18s could be reconsidered once more safety data is available.

Surely if the vaccines are effective in adults and kids only get at worst (typically) mild symptoms then the immunity from the adult population is more important than vaccinating kids for the virus/herd immunity will cover it? Bit like the rationale for only select groups getting flu jags? 

1 hour ago, Biscuits said:

Got the vaccine yesterday. Really struggling today - slept for 15hours, shivers and thumping headache. Anyone else?

I don't feel that great but I don't feel that great a lot of days when I haven't had an injection.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You really believe that?  I can’t think of any poster on here who has expressed or even hinted at that.

Some people can’t see anything else apart from their own interests or viewpoint. I wouldn’t take anything seriously from someone who encourages a group of people to go around trying to upset people on an Internet forum. When called out they’ll just get personal.

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Lack of trials I assume. Possibly ethical issues about trialling vaccines on children as well, but we got the TB vaccine, amongst others, approved. 

I accept children are lower risk and unlikely to get bacly ill, but if we're genuinely concerned about spreadand the Kent variant then it seems necessary. 

22 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
35 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:
It’s a shite talking football forum m8. Don’t think anyone thinks they’re changing the world here.  

I suspect a couple probably do to be fair !

Aye, there’s definitely posters on here who in their own heads think they could handle this pandemic better that the authorities.

It would be laughable if it weren’t so sad.

Not to hand.
Look at my daily posts and compile it yourself. Or go through the link I provide and check every day for yourself.
Nae worries. Just wasn't sure if you'd have it hand. Only ask because it appears to be slowing pretty drastically. My quick fag packet maths suggest a 2% daily drop which seems about normal at the moment will take another 40 days to reach 50/100,000

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Aye, there’s definitely posters on here who in their own heads think they could handle this pandemic better that the authorities.

It would be laughable if it weren’t so sad.

Look at my graph, i googled it so I’m an expert in epidemiology. There’s no way that pubs should still be closed. My pubs guy told me so.