Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:
Yes, seem to be doing ok at just under 2 million vaccinated to date.

Interesting as that is a tiny % compared to the UK. Need to see how that goes.

Once we've finished our roll-out ship all the AZ to Poland.  Nothing better than late summer in Krakow

33 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

That's why zero covid is a complete myth.   We have to learn to live with it and adapt

Vaccines, boosters, hygiene, common sense.

Otherwise we just repeat the cycle of mistakes time after time for eternity. You can't keep borders closed forever, you can't keep locking down.

Enough is enough and decisions need to be made that accept that zero covid ain't going too happen.

Meanwhile, in the fantasy land of 'zero' Covid: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56035668

What a fucking joke. warnock.png

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

I have never wanted something to be so true.

If that happens we can hopefully cut social distancing to 1.5m and open the pubs for an hour a night by May.

Maybe better make it June to be on the safe side.

21 minutes ago, Aufc said:

To be fair, VT is clearly at the wind up with the language used. However, the message behind it is accurate.

I could post the same about most that are struggling and the message behind it would be accurate, only a walloper frames arguments in those terms, given all those that enjoy his contributions points to the high number of wallopers on here. 

I love the contradictory nature of this place but it does point to a significant number of double digiters. 

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:
Yes, seem to be doing ok at just under 2 million vaccinated to date.

Interesting as that is a tiny % compared to the UK. Need to see how that goes.

What I've found quite interesting is that this "2nd wave" (or is it the 3rd we're on to now ?) appears to be following the same curve (give or take), throughout the whole of Europe irrespective of the levels of lockdown or how draconian / lax each country has been. 

Funnily enough, the point about the most populated areas not being the worst hit has yet to be addressed as surely if it was just on "close contact" then the most densely populated areas would be the worst hit by an absolute country mile but this just doesn't seem to be the case at all.

I really don't know, but the longer this goes on the more I'm inclined to believe that there's something more at play, however I can't answer what or why as countries actively destroying their own economies and alienating their own electorates just makes no sense at all, although having said that, not much does in this whole debacle..

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Absolute pish. People get fat or overweight for a whole host of physical and mental reasons. Simplifying it down to "all fat people are like that because they feel no shame" is utterly moronic.

Come on. The overwhelming majority of people are fat because they eat too much and do too little.

Most people will see themselves getting a wee bit chunky and do something about it.

But the others, fuelled by messages like "Big IS Beautiful" and that loving your body is more important than looking after it, don't have an incentive to change, and continue to shovel food into their gubs at an ever increasing rate.

How we effectively tackle it is an entirely different question, but the overriding point is that most fat people are not fat because they can't help it.

Just now, Left Back said:

so if I'm reading that correctly the start of May is about as good as it's ever going to get?

Well after that you have to vaccinate an extraordinary amount of people to make a difference, it will be slow progress from there. I hope there is a plan to keep some of the extra capacity in ICU as if the study bore out to be true it would mean your ICU is also about a third full just from Covid folk.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

If that happens we can hopefully cut social distancing to 1.5m and open the pubs for an hour a night by May.

Maybe better make it June to be on the safe side.

With a scotch egg on every table ;)

I could post the same about most that are struggling and the message behind it would be accurate, only a walloper frames arguments in those terms, given all those that enjoy his contributions points to the high number of wallopers on here. 
I love the contradictory nature of this place but it does point to a significant number of double digiters. 

Well not really. In the current climate, people are generally struggling through no choice of their own.

Most obese people have a choice to lose weight or not and don’t do it. (Please note the word most)

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Come on. The overwhelming majority of people are fat because they eat too much and do too little.

Most people will see themselves getting a wee bit chunky and do something about it.

But the others, fuelled by messages like "Big IS Beautiful" and that loving your body is more important than looking after it, don't have an incentive to change, and continue to shovel food into their gubs at an ever increasing rate.

How we effectively tackle it is an entirely different question, but the overriding point is that most fat people are not fat because they can't help it.

Again, the problem with a well-framed argument is that it's lost when emotive language is used needlessly. 

18 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Wonder if being fat is a public health crisis?

I got fat eating Chinese food, particularly chicken foo yong.

So that’s Covid and obesity the Chinese are responsible for.

3 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Well not really. In the current climate, people are generally struggling through no choice of their own.

Most obese people have a choice to lose weight or not and don’t do it. (Please note the word most)

Most people struggling have a choice on how they deal with their situation or not and don't do it(please note the word most). 

Was in the news today that obesity now is the largest cause of deaths in Scotland, 23.1%.  That’s a shocking reflection on our society. We need  a massive programme of legislation and intervention to tackle it.  The response to COVID has shown that it’s possible to take such actions (and let’s face it, tackling obesity wouldn’t require anything as draconian).  It needs to start at an early age and we need to change Scotland’s attitude to diet and exercise; I see more and more kids who can’t run the length of the playground without stopping and wheezing and it’s quite worrying, really.  
But what was our government’s idea last year? Close the gyms and five a sides for longest but reopen takeaways first.  
The problem with that argument is that fatties were not going to the gym and playing 5-a-sides before all this.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Well after that you have to vaccinate an extraordinary amount of people to make a difference, it will be slow progress from there. I hope there is a plan to keep some of the extra capacity in ICU as if the study bore out to be true it would mean your ICU is also about a third full just from Covid folk.

With a scotch egg on every table ;)

how much did we increase ICU capacity by?  I think it was way more than a third but of course that is at the expense of providing other NHS services.  Do the NHS have the staff to cope with that kind of uptick in admissions to hospital and ICU as well as providing all pre-pandemic services?

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

What I've found quite interesting is that this "2nd wave" (or is it the 3rd we're on to now ?) appears to be following the same curve (give or take), throughout the whole of Europe irrespective of the levels of lockdown or how draconian / lax each country has been. 

Funnily enough, the point about the most populated areas not being the worst hit has yet to be addressed as surely if it was just on "close contact" then the most densely populated areas would be the worst hit by an absolute country mile but this just doesn't seem to be the case at all.

I really don't know, but the longer this goes on the more I'm inclined to believe that there's something more at play, however I can't answer what or why as countries actively destroying their own economies and alienating their own electorates just makes no sense at all, although having said that, not much does in this whole debacle..

Rural areas have older populations in general, so fewer symptomatic or serious cases?