Coronavirus (COVID-19)

could we stop all this "Fat" talk please, i'm just about to head out to the bakers and I fully intend to gorge myself on a variety of freshly baked cakes and I'd prefer to do it with a clear conscience !!!

Just now, WATTOO said:

True to an extent, however it wouldn't explain why Aberdeen City is one of the best areas and also why the likes of London wasn't completely massacred.

Aberdeen is relatively cut off.  The nearest city is a good 60+ miles away, and there is little reason why people are coming into Aberdeen from outside at the moment.  

A lot of office based jobs in Aberdeen can be done at home, and there isn't that much in the city that those who live in the Shire would need to travel in for.  The mass vaccination centre, maybe, but that is on the outskirts of the city. 

Hardly rocket science that people in  poor health are more likely to get seriously ill from any infection, and obesity is already well-known to cause a number of health problems. 

There seems to be a full sideline in anger directed against this being pointed out in the name of "body positivity". The below advert for example prompted an outcry for "fat shaming", leaded by an obese comedian. However: 

1) it's a fact. Sorry if this is inconvenient. 

2) Do you not think other people are tired of having their eating/drinking habits etc. slammed and told that they're putting themselves at risk?  

sei_1609616.jpg

17 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Who knows ?

If we think back to the start of all this though, we basically had 4 months of no restrictions, no face masks, no social distancing in place and people going about their business as normal, we also had no vaccine, little understanding of how to deal with the virus and much fewer ICU beds etc, yet things haven't improved at all, in fact they've got worse.

It could also be argued that many of the most vulnerable have already been wiped out in the previous waves, so the mere fact that we're still in an indefinite lockdown with pretty strict measures tells me that either the masks / social distancing / drugs are all useless or that there's some ulterior motive in play or that the virus is much more deadly than the authorities are letting on and they're just too terrified to tell us for fear of how people will deal with it ???

Things have improved, a lot. We have a much better understanding of dealing with the virus, we have a vaccine, we are managing to keep the numbers down to a better level.

I definitely think you are wrong that all the vulnerable people have been wiped out. The latest stats suggest that only 15.3% in England  (ONS) have had the virus which I think makes it unlikely that it will have hit the majority of vulnerable people. I don’t doubt it will be around the same or less for Scotland, NI and Wales. 

Edited by Jambomo

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

I’ve got a tickly cough. Farewell p&b

Theryar!

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

The most effective way to lose weight is to take up smoking, I'm surprised this isnt official govt advice by now.

Smoking and serious illness will get the beef off you. Ever cloud and all that.

58 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Get fat shaming on the NHS is a bold move from one of the main players tbf.

What a job!

"How can I help today ya fat disaster, have you thought about having the biscuits put on a shelf you can't reach or taking the batteries out the remote control"?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

could we stop all this "Fat" talk please, i'm just about to head out to the bakers and I fully intend to gorge myself on a variety of freshly baked cakes and I'd prefer to do it with a clear conscience !!!

I just had walkers max kfc flavour for the first but definitely not last time. I blame the Government. 

12 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Hopefully a wee caramel cup thrown in there somewhere. 

I just had walkers max kfc flavour for the first but definitely not last time. I blame the Government. 
I've recently discovered the fantastic Jalapeno and Cheese flavour of Walkers Max. The packet boldly declares they go well with beer. They ain't wrong.

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I've recently discovered the fantastic Jalapeno and Cheese flavour of Walkers Max. The packet boldly declares they go well with beer. They ain't wrong.

I concur.

Just now, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Since the gym's shut, i might as well have a packet of each with a couple of those massive bottles of lager. 

My biggest sin - crisps - I can't have just a small pack.

Hence they are off the shopping list right now as we are both in healthy eating and exercise mode.

30 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
3 hours ago, TheScarf said:
Absolutely gone at that morbidly obese ‘35’ year old saying it could happen to anyone.
Why didn’t that BBC article some of the other 30 something in an ICU who are ‘fit and healthy’. 

Where was the interview with a lean 32 year old regular gym goer who was hooked up to the breathing apparatus?

Didn't research show that 70% of those dying from were obese?

https://www.worldobesity.org/news/obesity-and-covid-19-policy-statement

This report suggests around 75% of those critically ill are overweight/obese. I think the lack of campaigning for improved fitness/general health combined with the lockdown rules which make it more difficult to stay fit (closing golf courses in England and Wales, 1 walk a day, outdoor gym closures etc) is nothing short of a scandal. 

35 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Aberdeen is relatively cut off.  The nearest city is a good 60+ miles away, and there is little reason why people are coming into Aberdeen from outside at the moment.  

There’s literally thousands of offshore workers travelling to Aberdeen every single day, from all over the uk and up until recently abroad. 

40 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

True to an extent, however it wouldn't explain why Aberdeen City is one of the best areas and also why the likes of London wasn't completely massacred.

London was completely swamped under the last wave. 

Both Aberdeen and Edinburgh had higher case loads than rural areas for the most part but better than Glasgow, however we know that levels of deprivation generally lead to higher case loads and both benefit from fairly mobile populations. Oil and Gas workers in the former, the white collar finance workers in the latter. So both could reduce their exposure.