Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, The Stig said:

I was thod that the lateral flow tests can produce false positives so any positive from them needs to be backed up with a positive PCR test. however they are almost 100% accurate in diagnosing negatives 

Yeh it's just the negative results that are very accurate for the lateral flow tests, that's my understanding anyway

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's a horrible experience to wear a mask for hours on end. Something the "we should keep masks a thing" brigade often forget.

Imagine that's just a personal preference. I used to work in a clean room environment. 8 hours a day in masks. Honestly never bothered me so long as I didn't let my beard get too long as it got really fucking scratchy. Bigger headache were the safety goggles that you had to perch at a certain angle between mask and hood to stop them fogging up.

Edited by renton

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's a horrible experience to wear a mask for hours on end. Something the "we should keep masks a thing" brigade often forget.

Is it really?    

I actually quite like wearing it outside if the weather is cold.    The last maybe 20 times if exited the supermarket I rather than taking it off, if kept it on till I reach the Car.  

Why? If you're not getting to travel no matter what, why would it matter if a 70 year old gets to travel or not?

I suppose the alternative argument is that just because one group can't travel then why should everyone be stopped from doing so?  

This - I can’t travel so no one else should either!
Bearing in mind numerous people in the vaccinated age groups haven’t left the house and many of those vaccinated are NHS staff who have worked like f**k the entire pandemic, I don’t think they can be grudged a holiday over others.

Yeah I guess in hindsight it does come across as selfish from me. I think overall lockdown has restricted young people’s lives a lot more even though they aren’t likely going to get serious illness (I understand it’s been to prevent spread to older populations).

I think it’s funny that my Grandparents could be more likely to end up in Kavos than me[emoji23]

1 minute ago, Erih Shtrep said:

I'm hearing unconfirmed reports that the SG vaccinated less that150 people on Sunday.    If true Sturgeon MUST GO.  

Well they must have all been in the Dewars centre in Perth as my Dads partner went for her's , they were over booked with a long queue and she had a wait of about 30 minutes. Dad said to me it was all very different from when he was done at his Doctors the week before where he went in saw one other person in the waiting room and then got his jag and sat in his car for 15 minutes before going home.

Just now, cameron2000 said:

Yeah I guess in hindsight it does come across as selfish from me. I think overall lockdown has restricted young people’s lives a lot more even though they aren’t likely going to get serious illness (I understand it’s been to prevent spread to older populations).

I think it’s funny that my Grandparents could be more likely to end up in Kavos than meemoji23.png

It is a wee bit funny to think ibiza is more likely to be a saga destination this year, but i do feel for your generation missing out on these things, hopefully you’ll be able to get away towards the end of the summer man. 

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Yeh it's just the negative results that are very accurate for the lateral flow tests, that's my understanding anyway

The elephant in the room that has never been fully addressed is that LFT & PCR have different uses. PCR will detect tiny fragments of RNA, whereas LFT will ignore people who aren't actually infectious.

The gov dismissed LFT as not good enough because they were using PCR to verify LFT negatives, and they didn't match.

They decided it was safer to go with the higher number of positives, presumably because they preferred to be cautious.

The next stated target for vaccinations is all over 50s by the end of April.  If the current rates are kept up we should get that done by the end of March.  A hyper-ambitious target would be to get all over 40s done by the end of April.

I have no idea how construction of new vaccine production facilities is going but it's vital that we have facilities ready to produce the rNA vaccines.  This will allow the UK to produce boosters when needed, produce updated versions if a new variant requires it and to produce vaccines that we can export to our neighbours and to poorer countries as part of the COVAX programme.

8 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Is it really?    

I actually quite like wearing it outside if the weather is cold.    The last maybe 20 times if exited the supermarket I rather than taking it off, if kept it on till I reach the Car.  

Personally, yes.

Try wearing a mask for 40 hours a week in a warm environment for a few months and come back to me to see if your opinion is still the same.

There's a massive difference between that and effectively choosing to wear a snood outside because it's cold.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Is it really?    

I'm the same now at the football. we are required to be in the ground at least an hour before kick off and while in August the first thing you wanted to do when exiting the stadium was take it off yesterday I went Tesco after the game and it stayed on in the car until I was home.

I will certainly keep it for winter months in years to come.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

The next stated target for vaccinations is all over 50s by the end of April.  If the current rates are kept up we should get that done by the end of March.  A hyper-ambitious target would be to get all over 40s done by the end of April.

I have no idea how construction of new vaccine production facilities is going but it's vital that we have facilities ready to produce the rNA vaccines.  This will allow the UK to produce boosters when needed, produce updated versions if a new variant requires it and to produce vaccines that we can export to our neighbours and to poorer countries as part of the COVAX programme.

Remember we need to continue to give everyone their second vaccination and that will slow things up going forward until we get to the very end of this.

5 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

I think it’s funny that my Grandparents could be more likely to end up in Kavos than meemoji23.png

image.png.cd2fa6526fc879bff66dad51d2b98120.png

Lucky escape imo.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The elephant in the room that has never been fully addressed is that LFT & PCR have different uses. PCR will detect tiny fragments of RNA, whereas LFT will ignore people who aren't actually infectious.

The gov dismissed LFT as not good enough because they were using PCR to verify LFT negatives, and they didn't match.

They decided it was safer to go with the higher number of positives, presumably because they preferred to be cautious.

And tbh it's probably better to have more positive results rather than chance it, especially at the start of the pandemic.