Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Shows what happens when everyone pulls together, the Scot Gov getting the British army involved will have helped here as well.

The numbers improved with new hubs opening and the completion of the Care Home roll-out - 81 armed forces personnel joined 9000 vaccinators four days after that upturn

Alister Jack played a blinder publishing the UK's letter offering help - many people genuinely believe the upturn was due to the army

That's not to say their help isn't appreciated of course.

Short sharp lockdowns may well become the norm but they'd need to be thought about very carefully. If say, Glasgow is locked down for a week. Would employers be expected to pay their employees wages for that week or would they be able to claim that back from government? What about businesses with perishable goods that may see stock wiped out. It may seem simple to say, ach, we'll just lock everything down for a week but the logistics of it will be a lot more demanding.
They gave zero flesh to their bones unsurprisingly

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Why are you then criticising the UK government for taking decisive action to do something you agree they did well?  There’s so much you could actually criticise you look a bit stupid dying on this hill.

Dying on this hill ffs, have a word with yourself. 

23 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

It wasn't just too far the other way, it was treating us like a nation of imbeciles, I'd love to vote "none of the above" just to show how little I rate our politicians performance during this shambles, as someone who takes my vote seriously I really shouldn't be going into a polling booth thinking none of them really deserve my vote. 

I posted something along these lines last week. It’s a real “Catch 22”. The pandemic has absolutely confirmed how better off Scotland would be as an independent country, but we seem to be a million miles from having even one solitary politician that fills anyone with confidence.

Sky reporting the first UK research into vaccine efficacy in the field is estimating average protection 3 weeks first jag at 67% and vaccine refusal at 10% so average 90% uptake. That results in almost bang on 60% "protection" in the vaccinated population or as the media are spinning it 40% of all those vaccinated could still be vulnerable to C19 serious enough to lead to hospitalization and death !!!
Don't remember the flu vaccine efficacy (and that's at full level unlike Covid at 1 of 2 jags) being described in that manner . Just seems every positive is being given a worst case scenario spin at the moment.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Sky reporting the first UK research into vaccine efficacy in the field is estimating average protection 3 weeks first jag at 67% and vaccine refusal at 10% so average 90% uptake. That results in almost bang on 60% "protection" in the vaccinated population or as the media are spinning it 40% of all those vaccinated could still be vulnerable to C19 serious enough to lead to hospitalization and death !!!
Don't remember the flu vaccine efficacy (and that's at full level unlike Covid at 1 of 2 jags) being described in that manner . Just seems every positive is being given a worst case scenario spin at the moment.

I just don't ever trust them to tell us the truth, when you see a Tory Chancellor happily giving out another 3 or 4 months of furlough money, you have to ask why, they never mentioned the Kent variant and it's effects between September and mid December(not that I recall) then popped up with it but they'd already announced extending furlough for quite a long time previous to telling us about that variant, I did wonder why Sunak done it back then. 

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

I understand you're feverishly anti zero-covid and utterly incapable of nuance, but the point is it has advantages over the shitshow we're going through. We have people in this very thread saying they'd happily trade no foreign travel whatsoever (I know your burd would be sad about that so calm down) to have some semblance of normality - ie the actual life that people have been living in those places while we've been cooped up getting angrier and angrier and refreshing p&b every 5 minutes for wont of something to do. 

It's OK to understand that both methods have some advantages and disadvantages. I get that you might be mentally feeble, but you don't need to apply the partisanship you view football with to every aspect of life. 

I'd bite your hand off right now for a snap 3 day lockdown having lived a more or less normal life for the past 6 months. And if they get jagging this month as planned, there's no reason why they can't have the "best" of both worlds - if the vaccines are so great as you keep telling us, why would they be having a prison-like shutdown in July and August? 

Edit: yes before you start I agree the zero-covid boat sailed for us in about May. 

I have always agreed they chose what was the best strategy for them to implement. That doesn't mean it won't also come with longer term difficulties and trade-offs, including potential issues with vaccine-only immunity, or that it was ever possible for western Europe or the United States to do similar where it was already seeded and spreading. It was simply already too late.

Autumn will be upon the southern hemisphere in a couple of months. They won't have their vaccination programs complete until nearer the end of the year.

The Swedes, who actually implemented standard pandemic mitigation measures with the view of long-term sustainability, have been living largely normal lives this whole time, but without the constant looming threat of state-sanctioned shutdowns for weeks or months at a time. But then, nobody really wants to discuss the fact that they accepted there would be trade-offs between more deaths and illness versus the destruction of civilised society.

Good to see you trying to bring irrelevant mewlings about 'football partisanship' into your continual beige desperation of 'look how clever, balanced and nuanced I am!', though.

Edited by Elixir

12 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

New Zealand with their 25 total deaths and one city in a three day lockdown are definitely the ones doing it wrong.

They're doing the right thing for them. Let's just stop pretending about 'look how normal life is in Australia and New Zealand, we should have done that!' and we can all move on.

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

They're doing the right thing for them. Let's just stop pretending about 'look how normal life is in Australia and New Zealand, we should have done that!' and we can all move on.

Are you implementing that the UK government did the right thing for their citizens? 

ETA and I include the Scottish government in that question.

Edited by SlipperyP

21 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I haven’t seen this so going purely off of taking your word for it but constant negative spin on things is one thing, but if they’ve now reverted to reporting outright lies like this then it’s incredibly dangerous and needs stamped out immediately. 

Edit: Actually I’ve misread I think. It’s purely looking at the 3 week after first dose point so might well be true. Shouldn’t really be reported too negatively as 60% protection only 3 weeks after only the first dose seems like good news tbh.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

Im so glad that something we contribute 3 billion + a year too was used 
I too am glad of this, just a pity the Scottish government were so reluctant to make use of it just because it's not devolved and has the word British in it.

Common sense prevailed though and numbers are good which at the end of the day is the only thing that matters.

2 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Are you implementing that the UK government did the right thing for their citizens? 

The UK Government, the Scottish Government, err... just about every western government collectively failed. But then, who among us would have done much different without the benefit of hindsight? Maybe the west could have been more like east Asia and Australia/New Zealand if they had acted in January last year, but at the time we all know that just wasn't realistic.

Just now, Elixir said:

The UK Government, the Scottish Government, err... just about every western government collectively failed. But then, who among us would have done much different without the benefit of hindsight? Maybe the west could have been more like east Asia and Australia/New Zealand if they had acted in January last year, but at the time we all know that just wasn't realistic.

Unfortunately we chose to drum our fingers last January. 

I haven’t seen this so going purely off of taking your word for it but constant negative spin on things is one thing, but if they’ve now reverted to reporting outright lies like this then it’s incredibly dangerous and needs stamped out immediately. 

Edit: Actually I’ve misread I think. It’s purely looking at the 3 week after first dose point so might well be true. Shouldn’t really be reported too negatively as 60% protection only 3 weeks after only the first dose seems like good news tbh.
Exactly my take 67% average efficacy in the field after 1 dose seems good to me as does 90% take up. They are right with their arithmetic but it's a single dose. No idea why Sky would want to out a negative spin on those results