Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Just fuelling conspiracy theories whenever they come out with shit like that.

On a more real world point would it not be against GDPR to demand such a thing on a regular and ongoing basis, your medical information is legally confidential and you shouldn’t be asked to disclose day to day

Why would it be against GDPR? The whole point of GDPR is to provide a framework for protection and appropriate recording/disclosure of private information. 

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The boomers are going to get to go for a pint while the rest of us are chained to our sofas 

I very much doubt that will happen, would be too much of a boot in the baws to those that are ultimately going to pay for this shit. 

12 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The boomers are going to get to go for a pint while the rest of us are chained to our sofas 

Get that right in the bin. I can accept vaccine passports or whatever for going abroad as they'll be demanded in the destination country at least for a while, but domestically that's an outrage. 

Hopefully this is trial a policy by media and don't follow it when people moan. Unfortunately, I can see that being somewhat popular if the various other polls on lockdown and restructions are to be believed. 

Edited by Michael W

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

GDPR is an EU initiative, is it not?

Still enshrined in UK law.

can’t imagine you’ll need vaccines to do things in the UK.  Religion is a protected characteristic in anti-discrimination law and I can’t imagine many Jehovas Witnesses are being vaccinated.  Would be a real canof worms.

You really think she'll keep the entire lockdown (bar schools) in place until Mid-March on Tuesday?
If she does, coupled with the "valid until 31st March" date on the letters, i'll start to think the entire lockdown period was pre-determined way back on 4th January, and that "the numbers" are irrelevant.
It's pretty much set in stone there will be no change bar schools on Tuesday, where are you hearing anything to the contrary ?
It's 2 weeks on Tuesday we will get the roadmap, the lockdown will remain in place until the next review at least I don't think too many expect anything different given the current mood music.

2 hours ago, 101 said:

This is mental. Pushing the rate above one for no good reason. I see the SG are increasing the distance in the classroom to 2m hopefully with testing and having the windows open this will mean the ones who actually need to be there can get the teaching they need.

I would imagine that teachers will be pretty high up the to do list once when have gone through the over 50s.

Vallance, Leitch, and Fiona McQueen (Chief Nurse Scotland) have all pointed out that, statistically, teachers are at no greater risk than the general population. 

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It's pretty much set in stone there will be no change bar schools on Tuesday, where are you hearing anything to the contrary ?
It's 2 weeks on Tuesday we will get the roadmap, the lockdown will remain in place until the next review at least I don't think too many expect anything different given the current mood music.

Nowhere. I was asking your opinion. Then added a wee bit on that I thought was relevant RE: the letters from January.

Calm down, buddy. That's twice today alone you've been very jumpy at me. Not every reply needs to be one person having a go at another 🙂

55 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

So it hasn't been a failure then. In no way can you describe it as a failure in relation to case numbers. What you are saying is it has plateaued which seems fair enough so what next, stricter measures, a further tightening ? Nationally the figs continue to fall so I'm not sure what your trying to say. There probably is a natural level beyond which current measures might not be able to take us.

It's like a diet. Gets you down to a decent weight but to get to your ultimate target usually requires a bit more restriction to get the final pounds off.

The success of the lockdown will be reflected in the dates we release restrictions.

There are essentially three measurements of the virus numbers - new cases, hospitalisations and deaths.

Ms Sturgeon will only ease restrictions if all three are where she would want them to be. At present new cases have plateaued at roughly 800-900 a day, although, granted, hospitalisations (noticeably) and deaths (a bit) have fallen.

I like to think when deciding what parts of society were to close there was some modelling done. I doubt those models would have shown the numbers initially tumbling from 2500 a day (nationally) in early January, to fizzle out and stagnate at 800-900 a day in mid February. As such, and at present the lockdown is not delivering on all three measurements, and therefore is arguably failing.

Nowhere. I was asking your opinion. Then added a wee bit on that I thought was relevant RE: the letters from January.
Calm down, buddy. That's twice today alone you've been very jumpy at me. Not every reply needs to be one person having a go at another [emoji846]
Sorry didn't realise it came over that way. I just thought you expected something different when there have been no positives in that direction.

From a very selfish point of view I'd love to see the 2 people 2 households outside rule relaxed before Cheltenham. My outside tv has never had an airing in March before but it would be great to get my 2 Cheltenham mates over for a garden festival. Garden toilet and Awning as long as it wasn't freezing it would be ok seeing we are not getting to go or pub.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Sorry didn't realise it came over that way. I just thought you expected something different when there have been no positives in that direction.

From a very selfish point of view I'd love to see the 2 people 2 households outside rule relaxed before Cheltenham. My outside tv has never had an airing in March before but it would be great to get my 2 Cheltenham mates over for a garden festival. Garden toilet and Awning as long as it wasn't freezing it would be ok seeing we are not getting to go or pub.

They wouldn’t be able to travel from Cheltenham mate.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

This is absolutely where I want us to be. We are not getting rid of it, we will have to live with it.

As long as we have suitable treatments (including booster injections for the most vulnerable)and we have control over hospital and ICU numbers then for me we are in a good place and can move forward with returning things back to normal.

This is absolutely the goal but hospital figs are nowhere near the levels required for this to become the primary measure so until they reduce to those levels we are stuck with case numbers.

Agree currently, but I do wonder what sort of hospital and ICU figures will be seen as acceptable? I assume there will be a discrepancy between what I would accept and what SG would.

Kick the can down the road a week or two. Send the planned small number of kids back to school on the 22nd and extend the full lockdown to March 8 and say that on that day we’re going back to the local tiers system, with levels to be announced on March 1. That way there’s a bit more time to assess what the vaccine impact is in the short term, see if cases are going to come down off the current plateau and what is happening with hospital/death numbers.

It also leaves the flexibility to keep areas that are still causing an issue in tier 4 if need be. But there’s no way places that are already sub  50-75 cases per 100,000 people should be facing the full lockdown for any longer than the first week or two in March.

31 minutes ago, Alternative Title said:

Vallance, Leitch, and Fiona McQueen (Chief Nurse Scotland) have all pointed out that, statistically, teachers are at no greater risk than the general population. 

It would still be good to vaccinate the person who is speaking and therefore most likely to spread Covid as they meet hundreds of people in a often small room

4 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Kick the can down the road a week or two. Send the planned small number of kids back to school on the 22nd and extend the full lockdown to March 8 and say that on that day we’re going back to the local tiers system, with levels to be announced on March 1. That way there’s a bit more time to assess what the vaccine impact is in the short term, see if cases are going to come down off the current plateau and what is happening with hospital/death numbers.

It also leaves the flexibility to keep areas that are still causing an issue in tier 4 if need be. But there’s no way places that are already sub  50-75 cases per 100,000 people should be facing the full lockdown for any longer than the first week or two in March.

I don't imagine the SG will go down the route of 1 week extensions tbh. They have repeatedly acknowledged that 2 weeks isn't ideal, but allows some sort of planning to take place.

36 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Still enshrined in UK law.

can’t imagine you’ll need vaccines to do things in the UK.  Religion is a protected characteristic in anti-discrimination law and I can’t imagine many Jehovas Witnesses are being vaccinated.  Would be a real canof worms.

Religious freedom is completely secondary to public health.  You can’t claim religious freedom when it badly effects others. 

Requiring proof of vaccine, whilst comes from a good place, is logistically complicated.  I much prefer shotgun to the face for anybody who refuses to be vaccinated. We wouldn’t lose any worthwhile members of society.