Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Dundee crashing through a barrier that would have seen us enjoying indoor pints and kissing a couple of months ago before vaccines were even invented.

I think what the "It's only a pint" brigade don't get is that the ability to have a pint, go to the gym, get a haircut etc are as much about symbols of progress as the act themselves.

What's getting me down isn't necessarily not getting a pint but having no idea what's required to progress.

I thought the August framework was quite clear but the infections levels equating to lockdown levels seems to have been binned now. 

Leitch seems to be prepping the ground for national measures replacing the LA numbers with talk of having to go below 50 nationally

The information vacuum is the thing that's now pissing me off.

You say that but its not like we were promised a ‘grown up conversation’. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I wonder if Sky were shy in reporting the risks of deviating from Pfizer/AZ recommended dosage strategy at the time it came out?

Just for some context on their shrieking about efficacy after receiving a mere 50% of the actual dosage program....

Honestly man the media in this country. What a minter.

At the start of this crisis I watched news and read websites non-stop. Then things got better and I stopped for a while. It's enough to make you believe bad news is better for them than good.

18 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Dundee crashing through a barrier that would have seen us enjoying indoor pints and kissing a couple of months ago before vaccines were even invented.

I think what the "It's only a pint" brigade don't get is that the ability to have a pint, go to the gym, get a haircut etc are as much about symbols of progress as the act themselves.

What's getting me down isn't necessarily not getting a pint but having no idea what's required to progress.

I thought the August framework was quite clear but the infections levels equating to lockdown levels seems to have been binned now. 

Leitch seems to be prepping the ground for national measures replacing the LA numbers with talk of having to go below 50 nationally

If they enforce properly the banned movement of people from Level 4 areas into level 2 areas etc, then of course levels should return.

Politically however I am not sure this time around banning Glasgow folk from a beer and a pie while those in Aberdeen enjoy will pan out.

Case loads do seem to have plateaued in the last week. Hospital numbers should keep dropping for the next couple of weeks and by then we should be seeing the impact of vaccinations on reducing hospitalizations and deaths that will break the direct link between case numbers and pressure on the NHS.

Still though, in the short term, a flat case load of between 900 and 800 a day will be enough for Scot Gov to chuck any loosening of restrictions into the long grass. Maybe it will start to reduce again over the next week to ten days. 

11 minutes ago, renton said:

Case loads do seem to have plateaued in the last week. Hospital numbers should keep dropping for the next couple of weeks and by then we should be seeing the impact of vaccinations on reducing hospitalizations and deaths that will break the direct link between case numbers and pressure on the NHS.

Still though, in the short term, a flat case load of between 900 and 800 a day will be enough for Scot Gov to chuck any loosening of restrictions into the long grass. Maybe it will start to reduce again over the next week to ten days. 

The direction of the UK Gov will also have a huge bearing on what happens here for obvious political reasons.

One thing I would point out is that some of the current English and Welsh lockdown restrictions are in fact much more draconian than Scotland's, due to Golf courses and Tennis clubs still being ordered to remain closed however they have remained open throughout in Scotland, a fact which is often missed by many.

12 minutes ago, renton said:

Can see them rowing back on P1-3 return to school.

Is there any explanation as to why the numbers have platuaued (perhaps even potentially rising again) at such  a high level. These numbers would suggest that this lockdown, although bringing them down from a very high level, has on the whole been a failure. And with that mind where do we go next with this? I get the feeling it could this half arsed lockdown through to May or even June.

Gon someone explain to me why the government are lauding themselves for meeting a target of 'offering' a jag to folk.

Surely there's more to this than just asking someone "do you want a jag?" and therefore that counting as an offer, regardless of response or actual date of jag?

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Gon someone explain to me why the government are lauding themselves for meeting a target of 'offering' a jag to folk.

Surely there's more to this than just asking someone "do you want a jag?" and therefore that counting as an offer, regardless of response or actual date of jag?

Because it is a vague term which allows them to claim achievements they haven't yet accomplished - like a couple of weeks ago when they claimed they'd "offered" a vaccine to every "eligible" care home resident. That actually turned out to mean they'd injected about 81% of the care home population because about 10% were ineligible at that point due to ongoing COVID outbreaks and of those who had been offered only 90% had actually been injected.

Desperately hoping that in early course this week we get some clarity on what the next steps are with lockdown and hopefully hear more about exactly where the vaccine supply sits. If younger schoolkids don't go back a week on Monday I'll basically completely lose my shit as the father of two kids who would be due to go back that day. Canning that would seem utterly pointless IMO.

18 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Is there any explanation as to why the numbers have platuaued (perhaps even potentially rising again) at such  a high level. These numbers would suggest that this lockdown, although bringing them down from a very high level, has on the whole been a failure. And with that mind where do we go next with this? I get the feeling it could this half arsed lockdown through to May or even June.

I think you will find the citizens of Aberdeen, Dundee & Edinburgh etc would not agree, They are well below levels of late last summer. 

Edited by superbigal

9 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Because it is a vague term which allows them to claim achievements they haven't yet accomplished - like a couple of weeks ago when they claimed they'd "offered" a vaccine to every "eligible" care home resident. That actually turned out to mean they'd injected about 81% of the care home population because about 10% were ineligible at that point due to ongoing COVID outbreaks and of those who had been offered only 90% had actually been injected.

Desperately hoping that in early course this week we get some clarity on what the next steps are with lockdown and hopefully hear more about exactly where the vaccine supply sits. If younger schoolkids don't go back a week on Monday I'll basically completely lose my shit as the father of two kids who would be due to go back that day. Canning that would seem utterly pointless IMO.

Those were my cynical thoughts, I just wondered if it was something more nuanced than that.

4 minutes ago, superbigal said:

I think you will find the citizens of Aberdeen, Dundee & Edinburgh etc would not agree, They are well below levels of late last summer. 

As indeed your daily posts show (great effort btw).

But this just makes it even more frustrating as the mood music seems to be that they're edging towards looking at numbers nationally again.  Feels like we're just going to be stuck in lockdown limbo for months.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Not going for a pint with you.

Aberdeen 11th Feb 2021, 39.4 per 100K,   27th Sep 2020, 48.5 per 100k

Dundee  11th Feb 2021,  46.2  per 100k    27th Sep 2020,  99.2 per 100k

Edinburgh 11th Feb 2021,  62.5 per 100k       27th Sep 2020, 85.5 per 100k

Even Glasgow   11th Feb 2021,  144.5 per 100k     27th Sep 2020,  192.4 per 100k

Strangely Scotland overall was at 66.1 back then so the cities have done rather well this time around.

Enough said

Edited by superbigal

Eh lockdown has been a failure. Don't you read the Superbigal posts ? What do you think has caused those sustained falls if not the measures in place ?