Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I've said it before but case numbers need to become less and less of a benchmark the further we get into the vaccination program.

Cases in Scotland seem to have plateaued between 800-1000 despite the restrictions and maybe its just a case of that being the "natural" level. We accept a certain number of flu cases and I think we're approaching the stage where those in power need to decide what's an acceptable amount of Covid cases.

Apologies to sound like a broken record but if we get to May, for example, and are still reporting 1000 cases a day but hospital and ICU numbers are well under control then what difference does 1000 cases a day make?

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
32 minutes ago, Steven W said:
Can see them rowing back on P1-3 return to school.
Is there any explanation as to why the numbers have platuaued (perhaps even potentially rising again) at such  a high level. These numbers would suggest that this lockdown, although bringing them down from a very high level, has on the whole been a failure. And with that mind where do we go next with this? I get the feeling it could this half arsed lockdown through to May or even June.

Eh lockdown has been a failure. Don't you read the Superbigal posts ? What do you think has caused those sustained falls if not the measures in place ?

I don’t think it’s been a failure either but the figures might have been better if the lockdown was more like the earlier one.  How much better we will never know.

37 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Gon someone explain to me why the government are lauding themselves for meeting a target of 'offering' a jag to folk.

Surely there's more to this than just asking someone "do you want a jag?" and therefore that counting as an offer, regardless of response or actual date of jag?

I know, this bunch in Westminster are shocking !!

In fairness though, they're all doing the same as they know the media will twist it for a failure if they don't.

Edited by WATTOO

I've said it before but case numbers need to become less and less of a benchmark the further we get into the vaccination program.

Cases in Scotland seem to have plateaued between 800-1000 despite the restrictions and maybe its just a case of that being the "natural" level. We accept a certain number of flu cases and I think we're approaching the stage where those in power need to decide what's an acceptable amount of Covid cases.

Apologies to sound like a broken record but if we get to May, for example, and are still reporting 1000 cases a day but hospital and ICU numbers are well under control then what difference does 1000 cases a day make?

This is absolutely where I want us to be. We are not getting rid of it, we will have to live with it.

As long as we have suitable treatments (including booster injections for the most vulnerable)and we have control over hospital and ICU numbers then for me we are in a good place and can move forward with returning things back to normal.

This is absolutely where I want us to be. We are not getting rid of it, we will have to live with it.

As long as we have suitable treatments (including booster injections for the most vulnerable)and we have control over hospital and ICU numbers then for me we are in a good place and can move forward with returning things back to normal.
This is absolutely the goal but hospital figs are nowhere near the levels required for this to become the primary measure so until they reduce to those levels we are stuck with case numbers.

43 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Gon someone explain to me why the government are lauding themselves for meeting a target of 'offering' a jag to folk.

Surely there's more to this than just asking someone "do you want a jag?" and therefore that counting as an offer, regardless of response or actual date of jag?

Because they are bunch of charlatans who think mastering the art of putting letters in the post will impress the electorate. It was pleasing to see Baroness Davidson suck it up.

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
41 minutes ago, Steven W said:
Can see them rowing back on P1-3 return to school.
Is there any explanation as to why the numbers have platuaued (perhaps even potentially rising again) at such  a high level. These numbers would suggest that this lockdown, although bringing them down from a very high level, has on the whole been a failure. And with that mind where do we go next with this? I get the feeling it could this half arsed lockdown through to May or even June.

Eh lockdown has been a failure. Don't you read the Superbigal posts ? What do you think has caused those sustained falls if not the measures in place ?

f**k me. Can't you read? "although bringing them down from a very high level".

There's no getting away from it - nationally the numbers have platuaued at a high level (in fact yesterdays is significantly higher than last Saturday). I'm pretty confident that isn't the aim of the lockdown.

Locally some areas have done exceptional, but it would seem that SG are going to be basing decisions nationally

Absolutely right. Case numbers really don’t matter if hospitalisations and ICU numbers are under control.

The only justification I can see for focusing on them is that traditionally, rising case numbers lead to rising hospitalisations 2 or 3 weeks later. However, if vaccinations do their job, this shouldn’t happen in the same way. We just need to demonstrate that.

It’s the reason I am so much less pessimistic that some others on this thread. I’m hopeful that we will start to see relaxations in the coming month, and a wider opening up ( inc hospitality) by the start of May.

This is absolutely the goal but hospital figs are nowhere near the levels required for this to become the primary measure so until they reduce to those levels we are stuck with case numbers.

We probably all have different timescales but I’ve resigned to February and all of March as much more of the same. In my mind I’m still seeing late April/May as the possible shift in narrative from case numbers to it being more about hospital and ICU figures.

f**k me. Can't you read? "although bringing them down from a very high level".
There's no getting away from it - nationally the numbers have platuaued at a high level (in fact yesterdays is significantly higher than last Saturday). I'm pretty confident that isn't the aim of the lockdown.
Locally some areas have done exceptional, but it would seem that SG are going to be basing decisions nationally
So it hasn't been a failure then. In no way can you describe it as a failure in relation to case numbers. What you are saying is it has plateaued which seems fair enough so what next, stricter measures, a further tightening ? Nationally the figs continue to fall so I'm not sure what your trying to say. There probably is a natural level beyond which current measures might not be able to take us.

It's like a diet. Gets you down to a decent weight but to get to your ultimate target usually requires a bit more restriction to get the final pounds off.

ICU numbers were 143 on 1 Feb. Today (14 Feb) they are 104.

I’d say they must be fast approaching the levels required.

We probably all have different timescales but I’ve resigned to February and all of March as much more of the same. In my mind I’m still seeing late April/May as the possible shift in narrative from case numbers to it being more about hospital and ICU figures.
I think if vaccines are working as expected it should be faster than that. If it takes until May it suggests it's not as effective as hoped and so far that's not the indication.

Yes getting there and that can only improve. I said before we will have no change bar schools on Tuesday but come the next review on 2 March, our numbers coupled with the anticipated roadmap from Bozo on 22nd will see us with our own plan revealed.

I think if vaccines are working as expected it should be faster than that. If it takes until May it suggests it's not as effective as hoped and so far that's not the indication.

I agree, it’s more the caution and hesitancy of the government rather than the numbers that has me looking at May.

20 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
24 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Yes getting there and that can only improve. I said before we will have no change bar schools on Tuesday but come the next review on 2 March, our numbers coupled with the anticipated roadmap from Bozo on 22nd will see us with our own plan revealed.

You really think she'll keep the entire lockdown (bar schools) in place until Mid-March on Tuesday?

If she does, coupled with the "valid until 31st March" date on the letters, i'll start to think the entire lockdown period was pre-determined way back on 4th January, and that "the numbers" are irrelevant.

Edited by Todd_is_God

The boomers are going to get to go for a pint while the rest of us are chained to our sofas 

Just fuelling conspiracy theories whenever they come out with shit like that.

On a more real world point would it not be against GDPR to demand such a thing on a regular and ongoing basis, your medical information is legally confidential and you shouldn’t be asked to disclose day to day

3 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Just fuelling conspiracy theories whenever they come out with shit like that.

On a more real world point would it not be against GDPR to demand such a thing on a regular and ongoing basis, your medical information is legally confidential and you shouldn’t be asked to disclose day to day

GDPR is an EU initiative, is it not?

As your local bar, theatre etc is unlikely to trade with the EU, then they wouldn't be compelled to comply with it.

Edited by Todd_is_God