Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

On the face of it it should be fairly easy to include people who are unable to get a vaccine.  It doesn't do anything for those that are unwilling.

Well the other point is to exclude those who refuse surely? 

19 minutes ago, 101 said:

@Todd_is_God looks like the pair of us could get a gig advising the Government :lol: 24 hours after our discussion it looks to be govt policy.

I think Glastonbury have really made their call far too early, unless they need a capacity crowd to make it viable.

The one or the other approach is most likely how we start to move forward. Is it ideal? No. Having to do a test before attending something until you have been vaccinated is a pain in the arse, however there will be relatively few people reliant on LFT testing alone by the end of the year meaning it can be dropped early 2022.

It's an infinitely far better scenario than continuing to ban gatherings whilst turning pubs etc into socially distanced licensed cafés filled with the ayrmad's of this world, though.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Is today an official review date? Or is it only a decision on schools. Completely lost track in terms of reviews. 
It is an official review date, but only thing expected will be the early years in schools.

Can't see any changes other than that till this time next month, and even at that I'd suspect it'll just be the rest of the years going back.

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Glastonbury wouldnt be able to pull together any sort of crowd of people who meet the conditions by summer. Too many tests to carry out, and nowhere near enough of their demographic vaccinated.

This shit just leaves me hoping my work can chisel some vaccines early on some BS keyworker narrative

You think even if a negative rapid flow test was enough? I can't see there being that much virus about in the middle of summer with a fair chunk of people vaccinated.

200,000 was the last capacity, I didn't realise it was as big as that, maybe more realistic to expect crowds at the Euros following a rapid flow test.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Neither of which stops children from declaring themselves bored with the task that they're doing and kicking off. Indeed the presence of their peers makes it more likely that someone is distracting everyone by kicking off themselves.  

Erm there absolutely are still places to go - if you're a child and not a braying old Borders' bumpkin. 

Seriously, it's a wee bit embarrassing the way you're going on just now.

You haven't a clue how this plays out in reality.  Your comment about the presence of peers in a school environment, making constructive work less likely than can be managed under current remote learning arrangements, betrays a towering ignorance.

Dispense with the silly, prejudice ridden name calling and recognise that some people know a great deal more about some things than you do.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The one or the other approach is most likely how we start to move forward. Is it ideal? No. Having to do a test before attending something until you have been vaccinated is a pain in the arse, however there will be relatively few people reliant on LFT testing alone by the end of the year meaning it can be dropped early 2022.

It's an infinitely far better scenario than continuing to ban gatherings whilst turning pubs etc into socially distanced licensed cafés filled with the ayrmad's of this world, though.

Yeh it has to be both rather than just straight vaccinations and your right it's just for this year once the over 18s have been done provided the over all vaccination level is above what is needed just get restrictions chucked. It can also be the carrot the encourage people to get the vaccine because if we don't have herd immunity you have to have your brain poked with a cotton bud before you can get a pint.

21 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I don't doubt the Tories would seek to gain some grubby personal gain from it. But I just need to see some credible, plausible steps to accept thin edge of the wedge type arguments and I don't see it here.

I think for the the biggest flag would be that last year, when I took the Covid home test, you needed to put on far more data than (IMO) was really necessary for ID purposes. They asked my about my employment details and they ran me against a credit check agency. 

I took the test again on Sat due to having symptoms and I noticed that was hone, either because I had done it already or because they have realised they don’t need to be collecting all of that.

I also know that the DVLA sell data lists to interested parties I.e car insurance etc so they create the cold-calling lists etc I believe the government sold NHS data to the USA “for research” purposes but without consent. Its not a stretch to imagine this data being sold for profit somewhere.

ETA - here we are: 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/07/nhs-medical-data-sales-american-pharma-lack-transparency

Edited by Jambomo

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

You think even if a negative rapid flow test was enough? I can't see there being that much virus about in the middle of summer with a fair chunk of people vaccinated.

200,000 was the last capacity, I didn't realise it was as big as that, maybe more realistic to expect crowds at the Euros following a rapid flow test.

I think the likes of Glastonbury & TRNSMT are bordering on just being too big too soon to have the required infrastructure in place, along with confidence that gatherings can be safely staged without jumping through hoops like designated seating, distancing measures and one way systems etc.

Rightly or wrongly, it will take time for people to be confident that measures such as the vaccines / LFT are enough to keep them safe without the need for additional measures, largely because the UK and ScotGov have spent months constantly telling them they aren't.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think the likes of Glastonbury & TRNSMT are bordering on just being too big too soon to have the required infrastructure in place, along with confidence that gatherings can be safely staged without jumping through hoops like designated seating, distancing measures and one way systems etc.

Yeh probably like you say neither events would be practical to have seating or social distancing, tbh I think Scotland fans at Trafalgar Square will be an interesting event to see if transmission takes place lots of folk from all over with not social distancing etc.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Meanwhile... what? We close pubs forever? If one case of Covid is transmitted in a hospitality venue in future which might lead to some sniffles, what happens? What if influenza or norovirus is passed on?

Love the fighting comments from the Scottish Hospitality Group in the article towards these bullied-at-school clowns.

Let's have no live music events ever while we're at. Give the heads of these gimps a good flushing down the toilet pan.

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think for the the biggest flag would be that last year, when I took the Covid home test, you needed to put on far more data than (IMO) was really necessary for ID purposes. They asked my about my employment details and they ran me against a credit check agency. 

I took the test again on Sat due to having symptoms and I noticed that was hone, either because I had done it already or because they have realised they don’t need to be collecting all of that.

I also know that the DVLA sell data lists to interested parties I.e car insurance etc so they create the cold-calling lists etc I believe they also sold NHS data to the USA “for research” purposes but without consent. Its not a stretch to imagine this data being sold for profit somewhere.

I know I'm being ludicrously pedantic here but of these things are already being done on a massive scale, it's not the thin edge of the wedge. To me it sounded like the argument was vaccine passports would be a doorway to some sort of 24/7 monitoring of individuals. I don't see what a vaccine passport of your phone would achieve that just having candy crush on your phone wouldn't.

11 minutes ago, 101 said:

so would you get a refund on your 200 odd quid ticket , assuming you'd need to go home and isolate? would you buy a ticket knowing it was out of your hands if you could get in?

Keep in mind up until last year , if you were sick, but physically well enough to get out and about, no one stopped you

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

I know I'm being ludicrously pedantic here but of these things are already being done on a massive scale, it's not the thin edge of the wedge. To me it sounded like the argument was vaccine passports would be a doorway to some sort of 24/7 monitoring of individuals. I don't see what a vaccine passport of your phone would achieve that just having candy crush on your phone wouldn't.

Yep there's a fair chance that someone somewhere already knows when we fart on a daily basis. 

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

Its quite absurd but I don't see how it could be any inconvenience to anybody. If I had to carry a wee card or have a QR code or whatever to ensure I could get back to doing things I haven't done in 12 months then I'm more than happy to do it. 

You shouldn't have to do anything of the sort though. This is the same as the 'och well I'll take a week in Saltcoats only this year, if things are back to normal' argument, only with the goalposts once again shifted towards interminable restrictions. 

It is not an either/or choice. Get every single part of it in the bin.

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

so would you get a refund on your 200 odd quid ticket , assuming you'd need to go home and isolate? would you buy a ticket knowing it was out of your hands if you could get in?

Keep in mind up until last year , if you were sick, but physically well enough to get out and about, no one stopped you

They would have to refund you I think or tell you to piss off an claim against travel insurance? The second option is shit PR and I'm not sure it has any legal basis.

25 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

There will be insurance available. Insurance companies love people being scared enough of something unlikely happening that they pay money to buy peace of mind. It's literally how they make money.

50,000 x £20 insurance policies = £1m

500 payouts of £200 = £100k

£900k profit from one event.

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

Yeh probably like you say neither events would be practical to have seating or social distancing, tbh I think Scotland fans at Trafalgar Square will be an interesting event to see if transmission takes place lots of folk from all over with not social distancing etc.

When do we reckon are they likely to make a call on fans travelling to London for the Euros for example? There will be thousands who have booked to go. I've hotel and flights booked, and can cancel the hotel a month in advance for a full refund. I've been tempted to just cancel now as I just can't see it happening, but there's a tiny part of me hanging on here just in case :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

There will be insurance available. Insurance companies love people being scared enough of something unlikely happening that they pay money to buy peace of mind. It's literally how they make money.

50,000 x £20 insurance policies = £1m

500 payouts of £20 = £100k

£900k profit from one event.

That's not how insurance works mate.

20 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Seriously, it's a wee bit embarrassing the way you're going on just now.

You haven't a clue how this plays out in reality.  Your comment about the presence of peers in a school environment, making constructive work less likely than can be managed under current remote learning arrangements, betrays a towering ignorance.

Dispense with the silly, prejudice ridden name calling and recognise that some people know a great deal more about some things than you do.

When and where did I say that it was 'less likely' that constructive work could be completed in a school setting?

Be extremely specific.

Edited by vikingTON