Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think it can be hard to write about this as you can come across as being a bit "wake up sheeple" and sneering at people who are more cautious (not to say that either of you are being like this of course).  There are a lot of people who, as you say, have been absolutely scunnered by this whole thing.  People who are in relatively poor health or have underlying conditions have had a year of their lives being completely defined by this and will struggle to reintegrate into normal life.  I appreciate that sounds a bit over the top but there are people I know who haven't left their house or garden, without being in the shielding category.

I think as well some of the hangover of all this could be damaging to people - stuff like compulsive hand washing, wiping everything down, carrying sanitiser about everywhere could become an unhealthy obsession.  From all available data anxiety is the fastest growing mental health condition and being told that dousing things in sanitiser will stop you getting ill and dying, for example, isn't going to help with that.

I think there are going to be plenty of people who are perfectly healthy who will take a long time to get back to normal after this. Purely anecdotal, but there are a few of my fiancé’s mates (all mid 20s, no health conditions) who have been saying even once things open back up they’ll be taking “a few months” of staying at home before they venture out to a restaurant for example. They’ve said they’ll never go to a nightclub again - in their mid 20s!

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think there are going to be plenty of people who are perfectly healthy who will take a long time to get back to normal after this. Purely anecdotal, but there are a few of my fiancé’s mates (all mid 20s, no health conditions) who have been saying even once things open back up they’ll be taking “a few months” of staying at home before they venture out to a restaurant for example. They’ve said they’ll never go to a nightclub again - in their mid 20s!

I'll certainly never to go a nightclub again after this is all over.  But that's because I'm 40 and have no business going to nightclubs.

33 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Slightly disheartening news on infection rates.  England now has a lower rate per 100K than Scotland.

Also on a "Council" breakdown  Clackmannanshire is now the worst in the UK

My insider (From Dollar) tells me there was a huge "Rangers" party in Alva at the weekend so watch their figures quite closely. he also tells me that Alva has more than 1 "Church" giving out underwhelming message to it's followers.  Again with Churches opening up will be interesting to focus on this area.  Any Alva Church Going Rangers supporting insiders on P&B ?

In the UK charts Falkirk is at 10, Stirling at 12, West Lothian at 15 & Glasgow City at 16.

There are only 23 LAs now with rates above 100 in the UK.

How was it @alang1993 ?

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

My wife is the same. She's always been 'sanitising' the shopping when we get the home delivery and is completely paranoid about going anywhere. Even trying to talk to here about getting away for a break later in the year she's completely against hotels etc. as it might not still be 'safe'...even after numerous conversations where i've explained that even the vaccines she's had to date are less effective it's just not going in. It's going to take a while i think...

While good hygeine and cleanliness are vital in reducing the spread of Covid, and many other infectious diseases, are we at risk of overdoing it in some cases? If we are killing off every bug then surely we will not build up natural resistance/immunity, and so will suffer more severely when something does get through. I would think (from my own completely unqualified perspective) that we would also be at risk of a rise in resistant strains, along the lines of MRSA. I've no real scientific knowledge to back this up, but it just feels like being over-obsessive on  sanitising everything could be counter-productive in the long run?

I'll just settle for the majority of the 80% of males who don't wash their hands after using the toilet changing their ways. 

Hopefully those in positions of power start dishing out very positive messaging once this is down to the level of flu. 

10 minutes ago, Shipa said:

While good hygeine and cleanliness are vital in reducing the spread of Covid, and many other infectious diseases, are we at risk of overdoing it in some cases? If we are killing off every bug then surely we will not build up natural resistance/immunity, and so will suffer more severely when something does get through. I would think (from my own completely unqualified perspective) that we would also be at risk of a rise in resistant strains, along the lines of MRSA. I've no real scientific knowledge to back this up, but it just feels like being over-obsessive on  sanitising everything could be counter-productive in the long run?

I thought this to, unqualified obviously but I thought that within reason the mankier you were the better your immune system, especially when your wee.

10 minutes ago, Shipa said:

I've seen an argument a few times on the study of kids being sick more often and worse due to the fact that the world is so sanitised now, their immune systems don't get to build up defences against minor bugs and infections.  Will try and find it.

1 minute ago, Shipa said:

From what I can see, Covid is primarily sprad through airborne particles rather than droplets.  Droplets are larger and come out when you sneeze and land on other objects, which you can then transfer by touching them and then touching your face, so called fomite transmission.  Cleaning everything, sanitising surfaces and washing your hands and sanitising them prevents fomite transmission.  The two metre social distancing guideline also comes from the droplet transmission as that's about how far droplets travel when you sneeze or cough.

Fomite tranmission of Covid is possible and probably has happened but the majority of studied cases have found that infections, especially super spreader events where multiple infections occur, are from airborne transmission.  You can counteract airborne transmission by wearing masks, which reduces the number of particles you breathe out and by fully ventiliating enclosed spaces by opening windows and doors or using an air purifier.  Best of all, is to meet outside if you can, fresh air, wind and sunlight all massively reduce the chances of infections.  I'm sure I posted the Zeynep Tufecki article from the summer of last year about the pointlessness of 'beach shaming' where people on social media would post pictures of people on beaches condemning those there for potentially spreading Covid, even though beaches are very safe environments.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I've seen an argument a few times on the study of kids being sick more often and worse due to the fact that the world is so sanitised now, their immune systems don't get to build up defences against minor bugs and infections.  Will try and find it.

I had seen some stuff about that too. Things like antibac wipes being used to clean the house instead of traditional cleaning products.

No idea if it has any basis in fact, but it's an interesting theory

20 minutes ago, Shipa said:

Is this not what is being suggested will happen with flu going forward as a result of there not really being any flu this winter?  

For what it's worth, I think there are a lot of people who have been "traumatised" by all of this and who will find it hard to get back to normal as restrictions come to an end.  That is probably a mix of government messaging, media reporting and some of the doom/gloom from experts. That's part of the problem, in hindsight, of being completely fixated on covid and will be a legacy of the constant bombardment of negativity.  Even look at the vaccine roll out - perhaps the most significant scientific achievement for decades and yet we still have many prominent ministers and experts constantly underplaying the success of it.  Managing expectations alongside de-risking COVID is an unenviable task but it needs to be done.  

There have been a few articles about folk in their 20s and 30s who don't want things to open back up due to their concerns/anxiety about it all.  There needs to be a real effort to de-risk covid (Chris Witty's words) as we learn to live with it, and to offer help to young people who feel that, despite it posing a low risk, they don't want to come back out.  Ultimately you need these people being mobile and productive within the economy.  Mental health support will require significant and meaningful investment and training as we come out of this.  I know it's not as easy as just saying it, but it's going to be a massive issue for some time to come I suspect. 

The other, perhaps more callous, side is that if these people would rather lock themselves away then they should be free to do so and everyone else who is happy to accept the risk (and there is risk in everyday life, every time you leave your house) should be free to go about their business as they please.  Some would argue that's not fair, but then equally enforcing restrictions on others because people aren't confident yet isn't fair either.  

But hand-washing is just basic hygiene, and truly breath-taking that some folk consider it a restriction. 

Edited by super_carson

49 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

My wife is the same. She's always been 'sanitising' the shopping when we get the home delivery and is completely paranoid about going anywhere. Even trying to talk to here about getting away for a break later in the year she's completely against hotels etc. as it might not still be 'safe'...even after numerous conversations where i've explained that even the vaccines she's had to date are less effective it's just not going in. It's going to take a while i think...

That's my Kenneth Williams cherry burst. Feel dirty

tenor (10).gif

People who won't leave their house for months when the death rate is zero are just below 'people who are a bit tired demanding more focus on their Long Covid plight!!!!1111!!! ' on my priority list*.

Spoiler

Stored in the bin where it belongs, while the rest of society gets back to normal regardless. 

Is this not what is being suggested will happen with flu going forward as a result of there not really being any flu this winter?  
For what it's worth, I think there are a lot of people who have been "traumatised" by all of this and who will find it hard to get back to normal as restrictions come to an end.  That is probably a mix of government messaging, media reporting and some of the doom/gloom from experts. That's part of the problem, in hindsight, of being completely fixated on covid and will be a legacy of the constant bombardment of negativity.  Even look at the vaccine roll out - perhaps the most significant scientific achievement for decades and yet we still have many prominent ministers and experts constantly underplaying the success of it.  Managing expectations alongside de-risking COVID is an unenviable task but it needs to be done.  
There have been a few articles about folk in their 20s and 30s who don't want things to open back up due to their concerns/anxiety about it all.  There needs to be a real effort to de-risk covid (Chris Witty's words) as we learn to live with it, and to offer help to young people who feel that, despite it posing a low risk, they don't want to come back out.  Ultimately you need these people being mobile and productive within the economy.  Mental health support will require significant and meaningful investment and training as we come out of this.  I know it's not as easy as just saying it, but it's going to be a massive issue for some time to come I suspect. 
The other, perhaps more callous, side is that if these people would rather lock themselves away then they should be free to do so and everyone else who is happy to accept the risk (and there is risk in everyday life, every time you leave your house) should be free to go about their business as they please.  Some would argue that's not fair, but then equally enforcing restrictions on others because people aren't confident yet isn't fair either.  
But hand-washing is just basic hygiene, and truly breath-taking that some folk consider it a restriction. 

It is a restriction. Back in the day after I’d had about 6 pints and broke the seal, i used to make a sharp exit from the pub toilets to avoid being harassed by the aftershave man. I would pish so often whilst on the beer that if I’d went to the sink every time I’d have no money left 🤷🏼‍♂️

13 hours ago, madwullie said:

I hadn't thought of that tbh. 

In saying that, none of the funerals I've ever been to have actually been in a church though - even my gran who practically lived there was just at the crematorium. Do many people have them at the actual place of worship? I genuinely don't know

You must be living a staunch lifestyle to be from Lanarkshire and never having had the pleasure of attending a funeral mass. 

The priests really like to drag it out you are talking 60-90 minutes in the church.