Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Science doing science things again. Shocked.

Some very odd replies to that tweet / in the thread. Almost begging him to retract and push lockdowns as the biggest reason.

Why are some people absolutely desperate to cling on to lockdowns? Very strange.

The criminal scaremongering from governments and media has made people absolutely terrified of leaving their house.  

13 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

20210414_212633.thumb.jpg.ae1976b3f74a8d056052a8c49eb3218b.jpg

First post in the thread but have been enjoying firing out the green dots to @Inanimate Carbon Rod, @Marshmallo and all of the other guys who "just do know".

Solidarity with all the lads north of the border desperate for a pint in a pub. Hope it comes for you sooner than currently planned.

Cigars very much out tonight.

Screenshot_20210414-213221_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.11c8483763800c6707e00b25b092464a.jpg

You truly love to see it. Better days are coming.

The criminal scaremongering from governments and media has made people absolutely terrified of leaving their house.  
Good. Whether these people like it or not, normality will return at some point. I look forward to being able to venture out without having to encounter any of these crackpots.

32 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

You truly love to see it. Better days are coming.

26 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
37 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Good. Whether these people like it or not, normality will return at some point. I look forward to being able to venture out without having to encounter any of these crackpots.

Exactly! Better days lie ahead and oh the return to football will be a glorious glorious celebration (not 20% capacity football that can f**k off). 

I see Virgin Atlantic CEO is predicting 20% decrease in business travel and he isn't confident that business class travel will ever recover to pre pandemic levels. Good news for climate bad news for the industry.

There are three main things slowing/preventing an exit from lockdown.

First, as I have said before, the public health people who are now enjoying their moment in the sun. People worldwide are hanging on every utterance and tweet. On one level they don't want this to stop any time soon.

Second, politicians are terrified. Think back to October/November. Boris Johnson's poll ratings were in the toilet because Labour were effective in their arguments that the UK government had been too slow into lockdown, too fast out of it and had "ignored the science". The vaccination programme has pulled Johnson back up big time, but he and other politicians saw how that argument was corrosive to poll numbers. So in future, we'll see politicians agreeing with the public health folk at the expense of all others, for fear of losing support. 

Third, sensitivity. In a normal year with a full vaccination programme we lose between 7000 and 20000 people in the UK to seasonal flu. Covid is more infectious and has a slightly higher mortality; so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that come the winter of 2021/22 we might see, say, 30-40,000 deaths. Normally we'd live with it, except we've become so accustomed now to having leaders stand on podiums announcing the "sad deaths" or a handful of people (sometimes one or two, in the summer months) that a number like 30,000 deaths will have many folk clutching at their pearls and demanding lockdowns. Also, remember that those likely to die from flu are essentially the same cohort as those likely to die of covid. And so the total covid+flu deaths won't be as high as one might imagine. 

This last point is where we need brave politicians to decide what is acceptable and what is not. I fear we'll be in this for the winter again. If we have a Christmas night out, I'll be amazed.

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

I see Virgin Atlantic CEO is predicting 20% decrease in business travel and he isn't confident that business class travel will ever recover to pre pandemic levels. Good news for climate bad news for the industry.

And customers. Business / First Class fares heavily subsidise economy fares.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Theres a great youtube channel called wendover which created a video on airline seat economics, its worth a watch. You’ll see a pivot on carriers like virgin to go to a mostly tourism market imo, see virgin holidays making most of new routes and tbh with long haul destinations you get more people willing to pay business class rates for tourism flights which might soften the impact.

There are three main things slowing/preventing an exit from lockdown.
First, as I have said before, the public health people who are now enjoying their moment in the sun. People worldwide are hanging on every utterance and tweet. On one level they don't want this to stop any time soon.
Second, politicians are terrified. Think back to October/November. Boris Johnson's poll ratings were in the toilet because Labour were effective in their arguments that the UK government had been too slow into lockdown, too fast out of it and had "ignored the science". The vaccination programme has pulled Johnson back up big time, but he and other politicians saw how that argument was corrosive to poll numbers. So in future, we'll see politicians agreeing with the public health folk at the expense of all others, for fear of losing support. 
Third, sensitivity. In a normal year with a full vaccination programme we lose between 7000 and 20000 people in the UK to seasonal flu. Covid is more infectious and has a slightly higher mortality; so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that come the winter of 2021/22 we might see, say, 30-40,000 deaths. Normally we'd live with it, except we've become so accustomed now to having leaders stand on podiums announcing the "sad deaths" or a handful of people (sometimes one or two, in the summer months) that a number like 30,000 deaths will have many folk clutching at their pearls and demanding lockdowns. Also, remember that those likely to die from flu are essentially the same cohort as those likely to die of covid. And so the total covid+flu deaths won't be as high as one might imagine. 
This last point is where we need brave politicians to decide what is acceptable and what is not. I fear we'll be in this for the winter again. If we have a Christmas night out, I'll be amazed.
Can't really disagree with any of this.

As you say, my biggest worry at the moment is we get to winter and the government shites themselves given the inevitable rise in cases / deaths which will come with seasonality. I'm due to get married in December (having already moved it from January) and will be (pleasantly) surprised if that goes ahead at anything resembling normality.

7 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Theres a great youtube channel called wendover which created a video on airline seat economics, its worth a watch. You’ll see a pivot on carriers like virgin to go to a mostly tourism market imo, see virgin holidays making most of new routes and tbh with long haul destinations you get more people willing to pay business class rates for tourism flights which might soften the impact.

True. Anytime I go to Mexico, Premium with TUI is a must. For the comfort more than anything.

33 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Exactly! Better days lie ahead and oh the return to football will be a glorious glorious celebration (not 20% capacity football that can f**k off). 

Quite right. I've got to find a new team to support down in the Glasgow of the North of England and can't do that from an armchair.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I would imagine we might see some Norwegian air style transatlantic flights with absolutely no frills 

21 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

True. Anytime I go to Mexico, Premium with TUI is a must. For the comfort more than anything.

Premium Economy is only about 65% of Business Class though, isn't it?  It won't compensate that much for the loss of business class and 1st class.

45 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Glorious celebration for 5 minutes before everyone gets raging at their team's ineptitude. 

The local car boot sale posted on Facebook this morning and was immediately inundated with replies from a OFTW who had taken pictures and video of how busy it was. Not quite grasping the irony that he'd went along as well. Complaining about how it was virus central.

As I've said on this thread before, you can understand this fear and terror taking place a year ago. Not now.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The local car boot sale posted on Facebook this morning and was immediately inundated with replies from a OFTW who had taken pictures and video of how busy it was. Not quite grasping the irony that he'd went along as well. Complaining about how it was virus central.

As I've said on this thread before, you can understand this fear and terror taking place a year ago. Not now.

Are you not something like 40 times less likely to be infected outdoors than indoors? Hence why there should be fans in stadiums etc.