Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Any big event like this needs to be well prepared in advance, which means thaey plan now for something that will definitely go ahead even if the restrictions don't loosen as much as they'd hope. Worst case scenario and all that. I don't think it necessarily means that all of this will be required in August.

Large music festivals are planning to go ahead in late summer at full capacity ,  albeit you'd be more worried about cancelation than you would be in previous years when they were almost unheard of.  maybe there's the Edinburgh international festival is attended by 98% lovejoys and this is the only way they will sell any tickets

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

I've to come back home to Scotland for a wedding in late June. It's looking like I'm not going to be vaccinated in time. What do we reckon my chances of getting over for it actually are?

Depends where you are coming from I guess

11 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

We hold a revolution if they don’t announce football grounds opening, that’s what I say.

Oh and announce the gyms are closed permanently, just for the patter.

gyms can open but to ensure social distancing no phones will be permitted, that way only c***s who go to actually get some exercise will bother and all the posers will stay at home

I have no idea whether to take tweets like this seriously anymore. It's hard to tell who's taking the piss and who's genuine.

I’ve generally supported the govt in their decisions. However if anyone is screaming we delay reopening they can lock themselves in a shelter and let the rest of us get on with our lives.

Vaccinations are working. Schools are reopening and life is slowly going back to normal.

I fully predict an almost normal summer.
I can see why the Edinburgh festival etc are perhaps playing it a bit safer with capacity etc, but it’s easier to announce low and increase if possible rather than announce large and decrease.

[emoji38]

One of the last nights out I had before Covid (it may even have been the last night out) involved a jakey trying to force his way into the pub I was in but being leathered by 2 bouncers.

Brings a tear to my eye when I think about it. Fond memories.

It does now look like there is a complete lack of nuance in the discussion about restrictions being lifted, with everyone completely polarised as either extreme libertarians seething at the thought of just wearing a mask on public transport or handwringing Lovejoys wailing about people having the temerity to leave the house.

I would have been happy with the timescales if the Scottish Government's roadmap had ended with a commitment to being back to pre-COVID normality but in the absence of that, I suppose I'll have to join the seething libertarians if sides are to be picked.

8 minutes ago, Steven W said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-lockdown-is-main-reason-for-drop-in-coronavirus-cases-and-deaths-not-vaccinations-says-boris-johnson-12274266

Long suspected this myself.

Ireland's numbers yesterday suggested so.

Should pick up a few reddies for some uncomfortable truths. 

Not good news

He's trying to save his own skin by talking up the power of a lockdown, because lockdowns will be looked back on as this decade's Iraq War.

You can take that to the bank.

7 minutes ago, Steven W said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-lockdown-is-main-reason-for-drop-in-coronavirus-cases-and-deaths-not-vaccinations-says-boris-johnson-12274266

Long suspected this myself.

Ireland's numbers yesterday suggested so.

Should pick up a few reddies for some uncomfortable truths. 

Not good news

Again, a complete lack of nuance.  If you look at the rate of decrease of hospitalisations over 1 April 2020 to 1 July 2020 and compare it to the 1 January 2021 to 1 April 2021, they are both very similar at over 90%.  We have had far more sections of the economy open in the second period however, and the real benefit of the vaccines should be seen when looking at the hospitalisation rates as restrictions are lifted and comparing them to autumn into winter last year.