Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The Variant previously known as "The Indian" found its way into the Stobbie, Baxter Park, Hilltoon, Law area in Dundee.  Not really a major shock as probably Dundee's most ethnically diverse areas.  Assume the public health teams will be swooping in as we speak. Interesting to see if it is contained.   I hope all those no shows for Vaccine at the Caird Hall that #Aiden was talking about have been reversed.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Why are we picking apart what England might do in 4 weeks time when the Scottish Government is miles behind them in terms of even small crowds, with zero plan or indication to introduce these?

The SG will follow UKG a week or so afterwards, the same way they have done throughout, so worthwhile looking at what they’ll do. There is no chance England remove all restrictions and the SG continue them for any longer than a week or two.

14 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The SG will follow UKG a week or so afterwards, the same way they have done throughout, so worthwhile looking at what they’ll do. There is no chance England remove all restrictions and the SG continue them for any longer than a week or two.

They've shown no indication of doing this with crowds at sporting events so far.

There were 21,000 at the FA Cup final. We were getting 600 at the Scottish Cup final the following week before they pat their shants and reduced that to 0. Leitch was mouthing off about needing to see plans for one way systems in car parks just to get the 600 in.

Edited by Marshmallo

16 minutes ago, superbigal said:

The Variant previously known as "The Indian" found its way into the Stobbie, Baxter Park, Hilltoon, Law area in Dundee.  Not really a major shock as probably Dundee's most ethnically diverse areas.  Assume the public health teams will be swooping in as we speak. Interesting to see if it is contained.   I hope all those no shows for Vaccine at the Caird Hall that #Aiden was talking about have been reversed.

Apparently (and I have no idea if this is true or not, although it does tally with where the cases are) it's an outbreak at a primary school.

They've shown no indication of doing this with crowds at sporting events so far.
There were 21,000 at the FA Cup final. We were getting 600 at the Scottish Cup final the following week before they pat their shants and reduced that to 0. Leitch was mouthing off about needing to see plans for one way systems in car parks just to get the 600 in.
We had the same discussion when UKG announced the traffic lights system. Scotland has no intention of permitting foreign travel etc etc. Lo and behold days after it came into effect in England, we got on board. Crowds and everything else will come into line pretty sharply if 21 June goes ahead.

I mean I hate Tories as much as the next person. but at least they seem to be thinking about the economy a bit, whereas the SG are thinking solely about making sure Shug (82) and Senga (80) are safe and that their daughter Mary (56) can go and see them once every couple of days for a cuppa.

I mean I hate Tories as much as the next person. but at least they seem to be thinking about the economy a bit, whereas the SG are thinking solely about making sure Shug (82) and Senga (80) are safe and that their daughter Mary (56) can go and see them once every couple of days for a cuppa.
Shug and Senga clearly not from Dundee I see !

SG are only interested in Barnett Consequentials, Westminster Bad, tories and levers. They don't care about anyone unless there is political capital to be made. Boris actually seems to care about giving people their freedom back.

SG are only interested in Barnett Consequentials, Westminster Bad, tories and levers. They don't care about anyone unless there is political capital to be made. Boris actually seems to care about giving people their freedom back.
Boris Johnson only cares about Boris Johnson.

f**k him and f**k the Tories.

10 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
20 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Boris doesn't give a flying f**k about giving people their freedoms back.  Boris cares about being pressured from the Covid recovery group and Tory donors about how much money businesses are losing.  The only way to relieve that pressure is by getting everything open as soon as possible.  A consequence of that is people get their freedoms back.  If they were making more money keeping the country locked down you could be sure they wouldn't be opening up any time soon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased he's under this pressure but I'm under no illusion he's acting the way he is because he's thinking about the plebs like us.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Boris doesn't give a flying f**k about giving people their freedoms back.  Boris cares about being pressured from the Covid recovery group and Tory donors about how much money businesses are losing.  The only way to relieve that pressure is by getting everything open as soon as possible.  A consequence of that is people get their freedoms back.  If they were making more money keeping the country locked down you could be sure they wouldn't be opening up any time soon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased he's under this pressure but I'm under no illusion he's acting the way he is because he's thinking about the plebs like us.

Well yes, we know people's freedom is a by-product of opening everything up.  The SG don't seem bothered about either.

15 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
25 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Boris doesnt give a f**k about us mate, he wants people back at offices because tory donor landlords etc need their rent coming in.

I never again want to hear a journalist talk of Johnson's 'libertarian instincts' after all of this. He might bluster a good game on this, but they generally are not followed up with actions. He wants the economy up and running again and that's good, but that's ultimately his driver. Right outcome, if not the right intentions. 

The SG are happy making generally slightly more cautious decisions than Johnson does and seem less urgent to get things up and running. 

If anything I hope the SG learn from the current case rates in Scotland compared to England that harsher restrictions does not automatically = less cases. This has also been the case in the US.

England by and large opened its economy 2 weeks ahead of us. There’s also fewer restrictions there atm- large events beginning to start up, no early closing time for hospitality, no restrictions on number of households meeting indoors and gatherings of up to 30 permitted outdoors.

And yet England also currently has a case rate half of Scotland’s.

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

If anything I hope the SG learn from the current case rates in Scotland compared to England that harsher restrictions does not automatically = less cases. This has also been the case in the US.

England by and large opened its economy 2 weeks ahead of us. There’s also fewer restrictions there atm- large events beginning to start up, no early closing time for hospitality, no restrictions on number of households meeting indoors and gatherings of up to 30 permitted outdoors.

And yet England also currently has a case rate half of Scotland’s.

I put this down in large part to England having a roadmap out. People will put up with, and comply with, restrictions knowing there is an end date coming soon. In Scotland we've been in perpetual restriction territory and every slight and small easing has come with heavy warnings that at the click if NS's fingers we could be right back again. So many people - including me - have started ignoring some or all of these restrictions.