Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Changing your tune here again as you usually do when you get called out.  You never mentioned restrictions.  you said "nothing has changed domestically". 

Even the work at home stuff has changed.  We were in a period (supported by SG) of returning to the office.  Telling everyone to again WFH now is a change no matter which way you try and spin it.

Lets move on to testing.

This was said in an early part of the speech "from now on, testing yourself before mixing socially with people from other households".  You might loosely construe this as being the same as the current advice but the use of the phrase "from now on" means she knows it's different.

She then went on to say this "So on any occasion that you are intending to socialize, or mix with people from other households - whether that is in a pub, a restaurant, a house or even a shopping centre"

Test yourself before going to the shops now as well?  You don't think that's different?

A tour de force. The poster welshbairn has a fast and loose relationship with fact and reality.

6 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

I think even some of her biggest fans are seeing through much of this and are getting tired of the same narrative while seeing no progress on holding a referendum.

Listening to Ian Blackford on the radio yesterday morning I got the impression she’s falling out of favour within the party too.

I desperately hope she is finally falling out of favour within the party. Though I reckon the MPs down there have long been disgruntled with her.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

If it turns out to be less severe than Delta we should be offering Joburgers discounted holidays in Scotland. In the meantime I don't see the problem with mild precautions in case it isn't, to give more time to adjust the vaccines.

What does this actually mean in concrete terms?

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Changing your tune here again as you usually do when you get called out.  You never mentioned restrictions.  you said "nothing has changed domestically". 

Even the work at home stuff has changed.  We were in a period (supported by SG) of returning to the office.  Telling everyone to again WFH now is a change no matter which way you try and spin it.

Lets move on to testing.

This was said in an early part of the speech "from now on, testing yourself before mixing socially with people from other households".  You might loosely construe this as being the same as the current advice but the use of the phrase "from now on" means she knows it's different.

She then went on to say this "So on any occasion that you are intending to socialize, or mix with people from other households - whether that is in a pub, a restaurant, a house or even a shopping centre"

Test yourself before going to the shops now as well?  You don't think that's different?

The advice to to test before going to social gatherings or busy places was given before Omicron was discovered, and I haven't heard anything about the SG encouraging a return to workplaces. I thought the messaging had been consistent, continue to wfh if possible. The "from now on" phrase I took as meaning "be extra careful to follow the existing advice". 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

What does this actually mean in concrete terms?

At the moment just the change back to PCR Day 2 tests and a swathe of Southern African countries back on the red list. No great hit domestically.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

At the moment just the change back to PCR Day 2 tests and a swathe of Southern African countries back on the red list. No great hit domestically.

What is this a precaution against, given that cases have been detected in over a dozen countries outside of southern Africa, with multiple in Scotland already? 

Before I start, for me a new variant that becomes dominant but is less deadly is a good thing. Herd immunity achieved quicker with less deaths. So if this one wipes out Delta so be it. Fire in the boosters and all is good.  No bed wetting required.

Weekly Cases Update is really interesting down a substantial 12.86% and infectivity dropping.

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 20th to 26th November  were 20,631 to 17,978 Down 12.86%, Positivity was 9.6% now 8.9%.  Cases per 100K were 377.4 now 328.9

Numerous councils down over 20% on the week.  Only Falkirk now standing out.  Dundee & Glasgow still at the right end.

Home Nations Weekly Cases  per 100K update  :  UK Average  418.3 to 439.5 Up 5.07%, England 409.5 to 437.8 Up 6.91%, Wales 536.5 to 495.1 down 7.72%, Northern Ireland 581.2 to 633.6 up 9.02%

Cases in Europe in terms of of numbers per 100K  Czech 1188, Slovakia 1059, Austria 955, Netherlands 916, Belgium 908, Croatia 810, Slovenia 803, Hungary 732, Ireland 620,  all over 600.    No new entries in this category.

Council progress in last week as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Falkirk   536.2 to 564.9  Not in sync with Scottish declining cases and miles out in front. 

Angus  491.3 to 432.6  Down 12% yet jumps to 2nd

Moray   534.9 to 422.1  Down well over 20%

East Renfrewshire  386.2 to 414.3  Another riser up 11 places

East Dunbartonshire  438.6 to 411.0  

Dumfries & Galloway   532.1 to 403.9  Also well over 20% down

East Lothian  471.7 to 381.8  Down 20%

Aberdeen City  492.4 to 380.7  Down well over 20%

Fife   455.5 to 379.5  

Clackmannanshire  475.7 to 378.2  Down 40% in a fortnight.

East Ayrshire 400.5 to 375.0 

Stirling  521.9 to 371.0 Down a huge 28.91%

North Lanarkshire  389.0 to 339.2

BELOW AVERAGE 

Aberdeenshire   343.6 to 325.2 

West Dunbartonshire  395.1 to 324.9  Down 20%

Inverclyde    350.4 to 323.1

City Of Edinburgh  317.1 to 312.2 

West Lothian  350.9 to 311.7  

Scottish  Borders  347.1 to 305.4

South Lanarkshire 341.6 to 300.8  

Renfrewshire 288.8 to 298.2  Another rare riser

Perth & Kinross  352.2 to 281.7  Down 40% in 2 weeks.

Argyll & Bute  386.1 to 278.6  Down over 25%

North Ayrshire   292.7 to 277.1 

Midlothian  306.0 to 269.5

South Ayrshire 377.2 to 266.6 Down over 25%

Highlands  382.7 to 261.6   Down over 45% in 2 weeks

Dundee City  342.0 to 260.7  Down nearly 25%

Glasgow City 264.9 to 243.5

Shetland Islands  489.7 to 240.5  

Western Isles   143.4 to 147.2  

Orkney Islands   223.2 to 133.9  

Edited by superbigal

1 minute ago, virginton said:

What is this a precaution against, given that cases have been detected in over a dozen countries outside of southern Africa, with multiple in Scotland already? 

A precaution about being accused of doing nothing, and a precaution against the aviation industry actually bouncing back.

Right here's the plan, let's do PCR's to keep it out the country.

But it's already here and in those who haven't even travelled.

Let's do PCR's anyway.  Next...

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The advice to to test before going to social gatherings or busy places was given before Omicron was discovered, and I haven't heard anything about the SG encouraging a return to workplaces. I thought the messaging had been consistent, continue to wfh if possible. The "from now on" phrase I took as meaning "be extra careful to follow the existing advice". 

I never said encouraged.  I said supported.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-returning-to-offices/

I can see you're still in denial and I know you're never going to accept that you were wrong and there have been changes today so I'll leave it there.

Just now, virginton said:

The biggest concentration found so far is in Southern Africa, quite possibly because they've been diligently looking for it. I don't necessarily agree with red listing them, but after they publicly fucked up with Delta, leaving India the great incubator on amber for a month because they were negotiating a trade deal, while bunging Pakistan and Bangladesh, much less affected by it, on red at the first signs, I'm not surprised they moved fast. Hopefully it will only be there for a couple more weeks until we find out Omicron isn't particularly nasty.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The biggest concentration found so far is in Southern Africa, quite possibly because they've been diligently looking for it. I don't necessarily agree with red listing them, but after they publicly fucked up with Delta, leaving India the great incubator on amber for a month because they were negotiating a trade deal, while bunging Pakistan and Bangladesh, much less affected by it, on red at the first signs, I'm not surprised they moved fast. Hopefully it will only be there for a couple more weeks until we find out Omicron isn't particularly nasty.

That didn't actually answer my question: what is it a precaution against? It is already in Scotland and almost certainly transmitting locally. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

That didn't actually answer my question: what is it a precaution against? It is already in Scotland and almost certainly transmitting locally. 

Presumably to slow transmission to give more time to develop a modified booster if it turns out to be really nasty, which doesn't look likely. It could be that the numbers in Scotland at present are low enough to delay it.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Enjoy yourself! Freddy’s at the I drive south outlets does some fantastic burgers. Meant to be going in January but dont think theres much chance now.

If you make it over there, I want your ticket for the 4th round...

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Haha that would genuinely be the only silver lining to it being cancelled. That said i can see them allowing church services and the like but banning those nasty outdoor football fans. 

I'm hoping I will get back over, already had a couple of arguments with the missus over it. Sadly, I struggle to see the powers that be making it an easy enough job for me. The 8 days isolation would kill it stone dead.