Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I’ll be very surprised if passports are not extended ‘as the only alternative to lockdown to keep people safe’.

I'd settle for closing Ibrox/Celtic Park until every last amazonian tribesperson is jabbed.

That would make entire pandemic  worth it.

10 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I’ll be very surprised if passports are not extended ‘as the only alternative to lockdown to keep people safe’.

Some nonsense about the extended booster scheme and the time it will take so we need to take extra protections to buy time till everyone is done.

There is a chance the UK Government will really regret cancelling the order of 100 million Valneva vaccine doses made in Livingston. The Moderna/Pfizer/AZ vaccines target the spike protein, which Valneva’s does not, and it’s the mutation of the spike protein of Omicron which is causing the most concern right now in terms of vaccine efficacy.

Moderna’s CEO this morning has, admittedly with a vested interest, suggested he expects a drop-off in efficacy - https://www.ft.com/content/27def1b9-b9c8-47a5-8e06-72e432e0838f

Both Kate Bingham and Clive Dix who led the vaccine taskforce have said Valneva was a key element of future planning against variants, with Dix in particular openly criticising the government in recent days saying his advice has been ignored.

Squeaky bum time I think.

3 minutes ago, Paco said:

There is a chance the UK Government will really regret cancelling the order of 100 million Valneva vaccine doses made in Livingston. The Moderna/Pfizer/AZ vaccines target the spike protein, which Valneva’s does not, and it’s the mutation of the spike protein of Omicron which is causing the most concern right now in terms of vaccine efficacy.

Moderna’s CEO this morning has, admittedly with a vested interest, suggested he expects a drop-off in efficacy - https://www.ft.com/content/27def1b9-b9c8-47a5-8e06-72e432e0838f

Both Kate Bingham and Clive Dix who led the vaccine taskforce have said Valneva was a key element of future planning against variants, with Dix in particular openly criticising the government in recent days saying his advice has been ignored.

I was wondering about this and if that's what was meant by the advantages of a "whole virus vaccine." 

3 minutes ago, Paco said:

Can't read the FT article as it's behind a paywall but I did read about an interview with him this morning which I assume will be largely the same story.

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/moderna-ceo-raises-vaccine-efficacy-doubts-against-omicron-1.10426775

If the vaccines do need changed it won't be as quick a process as some believe.

"He had earlier said on CNBC that it could take months to begin shipping a vaccine that does work against Omicron"

10 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Has the site closed?

Last I heard the factory there was talk from the SG to keep it running and the vaccines would be used in Scotland and or sold to other countries. Not heard anything since. I would be shame if all that research and work and the jobs all went down the pan.

btw I doubt the UKG are capable of any regret over anything unless it directly affects the Eton lads and their cronies personally, like when they get caught doing something embarrassing or illegal.

I think the UK was their only signed deal.  There was some talk about a deal with the EU but that's all gone quiet as well.

I think it's still going through the MHRA approval process even without a deal.

ETA the EU have signed a deal for 60 million doses

Edited by Left Back

just over heard a conversation at work amongst a group. 

“apparently this new variant makes you Ill much quicker and more severe than the others, terrifying isn’t it?”

I can’t think of a single person who has said this in the last few days. Really boils my piss that she’s either completely made this up or is spreading some shite she’s read on WhatsApp or something. 

Valneva recently signed a deal with the EU for 2022 and 2023. Naturally no-one has approved the vaccine yet, so supplies will be subject to that. They still want MHRA approval, by the looks of it. 

The deal was cancelled due to a "breach of contract". Valneva naturally deny this happened and the Government has said nothing as to why it thinks the contract was breached. There's an inference that the infamous "supply" is the reason for this (i.e. timescales slipped). 

Speaking of reinstating the deal (no idea how easy that is) - https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2021/11/valneva-order-may-be-reinstated-to-fight-omicron/

From the Moderna comments it is again clear that we have been lied to regarding how easily the RNA vaccines can be updated. We were led to believe it's an easy process, but 'months' does not equate to 'easy'. 

Edited by Michael W

15 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Has the site closed?

Last I heard the factory there was talk from the SG to keep it running and the vaccines would be used in Scotland and or sold to other countries. Not heard anything since. I would be shame if all that research and work and the jobs all went down the pan.

btw I doubt the UKG are capable of any regret over anything unless it directly affects the Eton lads and their cronies personally, like when they get caught doing something embarrassing or illegal.

Looks like the Livi plant will continue, it's not like they'll be short of demand, especially if their vaccine is better for Omicron.

Valneva officials say they have continued to review the company’s manufacturing strategy following discussions with the UK Government in the summer and again after the termination of the UK contract in September 2021. Valneva plans to operate a combination of external and internal production of VLA2001 and will further review its manufacturing plans based on demand.

The company’s sites in Scotland and Solna, Sweden will continue to form part of its core manufacturing strategy.

https://www.genengnews.com/topics/bioprocessing/valneva-inks-covid-vaccine-production-deal-with-idt-biologika/

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

From the Moderna comments it is again clear that we have been lied to regarding how easily the RNA vaccines can be updated. We were led to believe it's an easy process, but 'months' does not equate to 'easy'. 

Pfizer said 100 days before Omicron appeared. 3 months is way faster than anything that's gone before, if it stays true for an Omicron update.

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Valneva recently signed a deal with the EU for 2022 and 2023. Naturally no-one has approved the vaccine yet, so supplies will be subject to that. They still want MHRA approval, by the looks of it. 

The deal was cancelled due to a "breach of contract". Valneva naturally deny this happened and the Government has said nothing as to why it thinks the contract was breached. There's an inference that the infamous "supply" is the reason for this (i.e. timescales slipped). 

Speaking of reinstating the deal (no idea how easy that is) - https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2021/11/valneva-order-may-be-reinstated-to-fight-omicron/

I wouldn't say lied to.  More duped.  Updating the vaccines may indeed be a quick and easy process but it's the other stuff that goes with it like manufacturing at any scale and distribution that was always going to take time.  Pharma companies haven't really been open about this.

38 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Can't read the FT article as it's behind a paywall but I did read about an interview with him this morning which I assume will be largely the same story.

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/moderna-ceo-raises-vaccine-efficacy-doubts-against-omicron-1.10426775

If the vaccines do need changed it won't be as quick a process as some believe.

"He had earlier said on CNBC that it could take months to begin shipping a vaccine that does work against 

12ft.io

18 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think everyone has a fair idea how it works. Unfortunately pre-Covid I had bought into Sturgeon being different from the rest of the odious group of people that call themselves politicians. I genuinely believed she was not only competent, but actually a decent person who was open, honest and had similar views on what is best for the country to myself. 

What this type of pathetic posture shows though (and she has shown over the entire Covid period) is that she is exactly the same as the rest of them. Putting herself, and ensuring that she covers her arse and looks better than the UK Government, ahead of the mental health of the population with shite like today. She’s not who I thought she was, and that’s really disappointing for me as I’d firmly hung my hat on her and independence before this. Now I’d be terrified of her/the SNP having full control. She’s forced me into actively hoping for Boris and the Tories to save us from them which if you told me I would be 18 months ago I’d have laughed in your face. Depressing times.

Can I ask why the SNP not being your government of choice has affected your view on Independence? 

My drive for independence has been nothing but hardened through this so I'm keen to hear what others feel.