Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, Kima Greggs said:

Yeah, I think 'the left' is doing a lot of work here on this thread, considering a small chunk of the SNP and the PLP, Trade Unions and about 5% of the mainstream press are the only parts of the organised Left with any sort of agency in this country.

The biggest political takeaway from this thread and the last few pages in particular is people simply do not know what they are talking about re political ideology and how their own beliefs and behaviours actually interact with that, and that as much as they'd like to deny it most Scots are just as small c conservative and "My Home's My Castle" Libertarians as any Little Englander. It's also not a surprise that some of the people admitting they have completely changed their views on e.g. independence are self-described former SNP fanboys, just fundamentally unserious people. From a fellow guy who follows the @HibsFan plan

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

14 minutes ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

And did that give Spain noticeably better outcomes during the first lockdown than elsewhere?

not in the slightest

I don't agree with draconian rules, or enforcing kiddy on masks as a way of making people kid themselves on that there is protection

i'm just disagreeing with oaksoft's view that masks are unenforceable because shop assistants are too scared to challenge people, yet they must, by law , challenge those who try to by alcohol who appear to be under 18, or someone who smokes within their premises.

When they came with the mask mandate, they chose to allow for medical exemption, but did not specify which conditions and only which conditions, qualified for exemption they allowed people to more or less self certify for their own exemption, they chose for exempt people not to be required to show proof when challenged and also advised businesses that they may be breaking the law if they refused someone access for not wearing a mask if that person then turned out to be exempt

By making the law as they did, they made it completely unenforceable, if they had wanted to, they could have went down the route that other countries took and not allow any exceptions and have penalties for breakers, they didn't , I doubt they were ever that serious about it. as long as enough people went along with it then masks would serve their real purpose, as a visual reminder to people that there's a pandemic going on

Regarding the enforceability of the rules, if that is a word, then I'm told that civil servants in the Scottish Government expected Police Scotland to enforce the rules about only crossing into other local authorities for specific reasons when we had that last year.  They were told that this wouldn't be possible as they didn't have the manpower needed even for spot checks on council boundaries. 

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

What was this event a week ago that everyone got Omicron at?  Some top newshound must be on it surely?

Probably Cop related but nippy won’t want to say. She probably has a selfie with the original carrier.

3 minutes ago, supermik said:

Probably Cop related but nippy won’t want to say. She probably has a selfie with the original carrier.

COP finished on the 12th of November, the Omicron Orgy took place on the 23rd, at least the tests did.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

All the MPs who voted against facemasks for public transport and shops in England. State of these c***s..

one.thumb.jpg.bfa9b7463d313e4d2b1707682e89781c.jpg

two.thumb.JPG.8047eb40b281e2eaed2280288e1e83bd.JPG

cant handle that its only right wing politicians standing against doomsday hysteria so you have a go at them 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Glennie

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

Interesting to see Elixir and Toad is God red dot this....almost as if they would rather see case numbers go up in Scotland. 

Never mind chaps I am sure the figures in England will also drop accordingly as they put on their masks.....thats what you want isnt it?

Actually, cases in Scotland are now starting another upwards cycle, while England has started trending downwards again. There's nothing controversial about this. Just natural oscillation of an endemic respiratory infection.

45 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

To the surprise of no one...

Of course, Labour continue to disgrace themselves.

'It is very welcome the Government has stopped people from Southern Africa getting into our country'.

Absolutely vile.

I booked my booster jab for next Wednesday. So the system still has the booster as a six month gap. If that’s not updated by next week do you think the folk there will be officious and tell me to bolt, or will they will know the advice is now 3 months and not give a shit and I get boosted?

3 minutes ago, D.V.T. said:

I booked my booster jab for next Wednesday. So the system still has the booster as a six month gap. If that’s not updated by next week do you think the folk there will be officious and tell me to bolt, or will they will know the advice is now 3 months and not give a shit and I get boosted?

I was a couple of days under six months and they were fine.  I am classed as having an underlying condition though.

11 minutes ago, Glennie said:

cant handle that its only right wing politicians standing against doomsday hysteria so you have a go at them 🤦‍♂️

You want to embrace your inner cuntiness instead of making excuses for your soul brothers and sisters.

Edited by welshbairn

57 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

i'm just disagreeing with oaksoft's view that masks are unenforceable because shop assistants are too scared to challenge people, yet they must, by law , challenge those who try to by alcohol who appear to be under 18, or someone who smokes within their premises.

That isn't strictly true. They aren't scared to do so - they can't because it can be viewed as discrimination if they challenge a person who is exempt, and go on to refuse service or ask why.

Because of this, It's up to the police in this instance to enforce the mask rules. It's why Scotrail, for example, repeatedly tell anyone tweeting them pictures of maskless people to take it up with the BTP.

There are no exceptions where alcohol sales or smoking indoors is concerned, which is why the staff can not only deal with this themselves, but are responsible for doing so.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Glennie said:

ranking not wantin to live in a state enforced nationwide asylum as more important than another belief is reasonable

unserious are people unable to change their mind

Maybe try again chum because that's just words. You'll note as well I didn't mention my own thoughts re covid restrictions (which are much closer to yours than you seem to believe based on your, again unreadable, contribution). 

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That isn't strictly true. They aren't scared to do so - they can't because it can be viewed as discrimination if they challenge a person who is exempt, and go on to refuse service or ask why.

Because of this, It's up to the police in this instance to enforce the mask rules. It's why Scotrail, for example, repeatedly tell anyone tweeting them pictures of maskless people to take it up with the BTP.

There are no exceptions where alcohol sales or smoking indoors is concerned, which is why the staff can not only deal with this themselves, but are responsible for doing so.

I would not challenge a person for not wearing a mask because you know that is exactly what they want. Gives them the chance to rant at full volume. Fcuk putting up with that shit at your work.

I am unlikely to vote for the SNP again. Everything from refusing to remove all restrictions in the summer to just the general tone in which they speak to the public has caused irreversible damage as far as I am concerned. The political decisions on Covid have been by far the most important to me in my lifetime and I don’t think I will be able to forget what I have seen.

14 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I would not challenge a person for not wearing a mask because you know that is exactly what they want. Gives them the chance to rant at full volume. Fcuk putting up with that shit at your work.

That too tbf