Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

80.7% Black

8.8% Coloured

7.9% White

2.6% Asian

(According to Wiki that is...!)

I also dont think this is just a UK thing to be honest. I'm in the Netherlands and they seem to have totally overreacted as well.

A large percentage of Prawn too now, don't forget. 

d62255494ea9a029617770745b395e3f.gif.c3a1884f60fd1c65c58d99e215895a64.gif

You get the impression NS is absolutely scrambling to defend herself. She knows she's fucked it but will never admit it. It's constant "look, look, see!" stuff. 

With the London hospitalisations, is there any data on the with/for split, and how many of the "new admissions" caught it in hospital?

37 minutes ago, Empty It said:
43 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

Most of South Africa (or atleast a large proportion) are white...

Britain is just so arrogant and ignorant about anything foreign, white or otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Sorry I'm not up to date with my South African ethnicities

At least you're proving your point. 😆

Edited by Hedgecutter

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You get the impression NS is absolutely scrambling to defend herself. She knows she's fucked it but will never admit it. It's constant "look, look, see!" stuff. 

With the London hospitalisations, is there any data on the with/for split, and how many of the "new admissions" caught it in hospital?

Overreacted and spent masses of her available monies which should have been allocated for other purposes (which coincidentally isn’t enough to cover loses of the affected businesses) and now can’t work out how to backtrack and not look foolish.

Her credibility is in tatters.

I've seen a few posts like this, and it gets me wondering what people think we are trying to do here. "It's not even a cold" is probably an exaggeration and not that helpful, but the reply is wild.

Yes, that sounds deeply unpleasant, but it's not a reason to slap restrictions on the population. That's not something we need to be kept safe from.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've seen a few posts like this, and it gets me wondering what people think we are trying to do here. "It's not even a cold" is probably an exaggeration and not that helpful, but the reply is wild.

Yes, that sounds deeply unpleasant, but it's not a reason to slap restrictions on the population. That's not something we need to be kept safe from.

That reply does also seem to be describing what many up until now would have called “a bad cold”. 

9 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I've been thinking about this since the Beeb announced it the other day. That's great if you run a wee cafe with cheap food that isn't particularly busy, but anyone running a half decent busy restaurant will get a fucking week at best covered by that. Absolute nonsense. 

There was someone on the news from the hospitality sector who runs an establishment in Edinburgh saying that the £6k wouldn’t cover half of his typical Saturday take for this time of year.

22 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's almost certainly down to them all completely fucking up before.

The problem is they are also listening to the same scientists who've fucked up as well.

In which case (for all of these governments), they should resign en masse immediately and leave running the country up to people who are still capable of rational thought and willing to look at current data when making decisions. 

21 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Everything else aside I’m getting kind of fucked off a bit with the with/for argument that has appeared on here. 

Paraphrasing slightly from a collegue down south here:

Focussing *just* on COVID hospitalisation and ITU is foolish. The impact that one patient who tests positive (even if they are admitted for another reason) is immense. It requires them to be isolated, managed in a separate area, with their own staff. They can’t go to “any bed”.

So say you feel great, have a +ve lateral flow and PCR, but then slip on the ice and break your leg - you’ll need to be on the COVID ward and access a whole different pathway. Just seeing it an “non serious infection” underestimates the impact on the wider system.

That means a ward needs to be “flipped” to cohort the positive patients together… so medical patients and surgical patients are bedded next to one another (with added risk of more hospital acquired infection and non-expert nursing).

That’s hugely uneconomic as even IF there are 5 positive patients, for a 20-bedded ward, that’s 15 beds that are not being used for work that needs to be done. That’s why case numbers in the community are a concern for the NHS, even if it’s not people breathing their last.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

There was someone on the news from the hospitality sector who runs an establishment in Edinburgh saying that the £6k wouldn’t cover half of his typical Saturday take for this time of year.

Aye, no doubt it's even more useless for busy city restaurants. My example was the local Turkish place in Forfar. If they're going to struggle, what hope is there for anyone else? 

1 minute ago, SoapMactavish said:

Everything else aside I’m getting kind of fucked off a bit with the with/for argument that has appeared on here. 

I think the argument is more that we should be acknowledging that covid is a bit shit now, and not taking the extreme measures your colleague mentions there.

It is the reaction to Covid, rather than covid itself, which is crippling the health service now.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think the argument is more that we should be acknowledging that covid is a bit shit now, and not taking the extreme measures your colleague mentions there.

It is the reaction to Covid, rather than covid itself, which is crippling the health service now.

Oh yeah its fairly shit now in the community as a whole, but it is still a more infectious and more deadly virus than the flu. We didn’t just keep flu patients in regular wards beside wee Jeanie with Lymphoma before this. 

Most folk in hospital for most reasons are especially vulnerable to it, vaccinated or not. 

Particularly on the Intensivist side of things, for example our ITU has 9 beds, Currently 5 of which are taken up with Covid patients. We can put a maximum of 3 in negative pressure side rooms before we run out. Once we get above 3 patients it effectively becomes ‘Covid ITU’. 

This stops for example complex surgery taking place for things like ruptured aneurysms as these folk need ITU beds for days afterwards. 

The secondary issue is that staff are having to isolate due to actually being positive. That can’t change. The virus is still infectious and capable of causing severe harm to the kind of people who are likely to be in hospital, i.e. the immunocompromised, cancer patients, people recovering from surgery etc. 

2 minutes ago, SoapMactavish said:

The secondary issue is that staff are having to isolate due to actually being positive. That can’t change. The virus is still infectious and capable of causing severe harm to the kind of people who are likely to be in hospital, i.e. the immunocompromised, cancer patients, people recovering from surgery etc. 

What, ever? That clearly isn't going to be sustainable as Covid isn't going anywhere.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Genuine question, before this, did you test asymptomatic patients for flu?

We did test most folk coming in with respiratory type symptoms during flu season. There was a wee machine they basically spat into a wee sample tube and it told you whether they had Flu A, Flu B or something else like RSV. 

We didn’t routinely test for asymptomatic flu patients, I don’t think, (I know some places do as its a fairly quick, simple and accurate test) however:

A. Being asymptomatic with flu is rarer than being asymptomatic with Covid, probably due to lower uptake on flu vaccines. 

B. Asymptomatic folk with Covid are almost as infectious if not as infectious as symptomatic punters. Asymptomatic folk with Flu are significantly less infectious.