Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Nah, only meat was a tin of corned beef. Apples, pears and a box of Shreddies though!

I'd be happy with that, tbh.

We got a number to ring to get put on a list for food parcels, but I've a feeling we won't be getting anything in a hurry, after the telephone interviews.

Anyway, we're coping o.k., getting messages delivered every week and our prescriptions, too. 

Granddaughter nr 4 gives us a shout whenever she's going for stuff for her father, although I suppose she should leave it at the front door, rather than bring it into the house.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

Piers Morgan is rapidly becoming the most popular and universally respected famous person in the U.K among all this. Crazy times.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Only by people who don’t watch the 5pm addresses.

I have not watched a 5 o clock briefing but still think Piers Morgan is an utter c**t without any redeeming qualities. 

26 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Or you create an industry who can make and ramp up production when required.

Lets start with the fact that we were in the EU till a few months ago so we would have had to compete with 27other countries industries on one very niche and usually not very profitable product. 

Then ok we now have a factory that knocks out 100% of the UKs protective equipment production. The factory will not be able to achieve the economies of scale of a more specialized producer who sells to multiple countries thus has a more volume to amortize things like capital costs into. This will means the more niche bits of equipment could be much more expensive. This is why globalisation has lowered costs for most things, one factory produces niche products for a large number of consumers. We produce high end medical equipment here but we buy in the cheaper products. This is how our high skill high cost economy works. 

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/02/countries-manufacturing-trade-exports-economics/

We are the 9th largest manufacturing economy in the world by dollar value. What we do make is things like cars, aircraft engines, aircraft wings etc that are towards the very top end of the supply chain. .

Ok back to PPE Autarky: we have local factories for local facemasks but take a hit on the our health spending due to the increased  spending on the cost of our PPE.

Now we have Covid19 turns up and its not 100% of our production but we need 3-400% of our production over 3 months so either we build our factories to have enormous excess capacity that has to be paid for by every bit of kit that is bought in a normal year, you have 5-10 times as many machines to pay for. Or we run out of it anyway. 

Thats plan D.A.F.C.

Now the other idea that will pop up here is why does the UK not produce the worlds "PPE", well we would have to have illegal subsidies to make up for the high pound and high labour costs in the UK and the other countries would also have to not follow the UK pandemic plan of massive subsidized factories to produce the kit else everyone will have massive factories and few customers. 

Which is why the plan we actually had was to have warehouses full of cheap kit, the downside is we did not plan for as aggressive a virus. 

Health is a devolved issue so not only did previous Labour governments not build up enough stock neither did any of the devolved health services. 

Edited by dorlomin

35 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Is this care home in Greenock by any chance? I know of a care home their refusing to use the ppe and trying to pressure doctors to not write covid on death certs because they want to get more people in.

No - but it fits the pattern. He's shown me WhatsApp messages from care workers all around the West of Scotland with similar stories. One Care Home was still letting in regular visits up to Tuesday 8th April until the Police visited after one of the carers reported it (having been ignored by management)

Edited by NewBornBairn

12 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I have not watched a 5 o clock briefing but still think Piers Morgan is an utter c**t without any redeeming qualities. 

Let’s put this into context.

1.  Your description of Piers Moron is apt.

2.  He has put a government minister under greater scrutiny than almost any other interviewer has.

That is an indication of where the MSM are during the biggest crisis in 70 years.

Is this care home in Greenock by any chance? I know of a care home their refusing to use the ppe and trying to pressure doctors to not write covid on death certs because they want to get more people in.

Any doctor bowing to such pressure would be breaking the law. Covid-19 is a notifiable disease and as such doctors are legally obliged to report it.

12 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'd be happy with that, tbh.

We got a number to ring to get put on a list for food parcels, but I've a feeling we won't be getting anything in a hurry, after the telephone interviews.

Anyway, we're coping o.k., getting messages delivered every week and our prescriptions, too. 

Granddaughter nr 4 gives us a shout whenever she's going for stuff for her father, although I suppose she should leave it at the front door, rather than bring it into the house.

We've started getting normal deliveries from the supermarkets again so don't really need it either. We qualify for 2 boxes so I gave one to our neighbours who are in their late eighties and fully locked in. If we hear there are too many people getting the boxes for them to cope we'll cancel it, if not I might just give it to people who need it more.

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Nah, only meat was a tin of corned beef. Apples, pears and a box of Shreddies though!

P.S. And one bog roll. And loads of other stuff, it weighed a ton.

Don't eat the apples, pears and shreddies all at once, one bog roll will not cover that. 

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Let’s put this into context.

1.  Your description of Piers Moron is apt.

2.  He has put a government minister under greater scrutiny than almost any other interviewer has.

That is an indication of where the MSM are during the biggest crisis in 70 years.

Completely agree. 

The fact that the competition is Charlie stayt (there is no word strong enough) and Naga munchetty shouldn't cause anyone to respect piers morgan. 

The fact that a morning itv sofa warmer is asking better questions than supposed serious journalists reflects badly on the msm as a whole and not well on the sofa jockey. 

The bbc is doing some things well. If you want to know what twitter thinks or how tik tok is affected then the beeb is the place to go. 

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Completely agree. 

The fact that the competition is Charlie stayt (there is no word strong enough) and Naga munchetty shouldn't cause anyone to respect piers morgan. 

The fact that a morning itv sofa warmer is asking better questions than supposed serious journalists reflects badly on the msm as a whole and not well on the sofa jockey. 

The bbc is doing some things well. If you want to know what twitter thinks or how tik tok is affected then the beeb is the place to go. 

They can hardly hold their paymasters and uppers n betters to account, that ain't going to happen, we've been told we might be plateuing, nearing the peak and other such pish for at least a fortnight now on BBC News. 

Edited by ayrmad

24 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Lets start with the fact that we were in the EU till a few months ago so we would have had to compete with 27other countries industries on one very niche and usually not very profitable product. 

Then ok we now have a factory that knocks out 100% of the UKs protective equipment production. The factory will not be able to achieve the economies of scale of a more specialized producer who sells to multiple countries thus has a more volume to amortize things like capital costs into. This will means the more niche bits of equipment could be much more expensive. This is why globalisation has lowered costs for most things, one factory produces niche products for a large number of consumers. We produce high end medical equipment here but we buy in the cheaper products. This is how our high skill high cost economy works. 

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/02/countries-manufacturing-trade-exports-economics/

We are the 9th largest manufacturing economy in the world by dollar value. What we do make is things like cars, aircraft engines, aircraft wings etc that are towards the very top end of the supply chain. .

Ok back to PPE Autarky: we have local factories for local facemasks but take a hit on the our health spending due to the increased  spending on the cost of our PPE.

Now we have Covid19 turns up and its not 100% of our production but we need 3-400% of our production over 3 months so either we build our factories to have enormous excess capacity that has to be paid for by every bit of kit that is bought in a normal year, you have 5-10 times as many machines to pay for. Or we run out of it anyway. 

Thats plan D.A.F.C.

Now the other idea that will pop up here is why does the UK not produce the worlds "PPE", well we would have to have illegal subsidies to make up for the high pound and high labour costs in the UK and the other countries would also have to not follow the UK pandemic plan of massive subsidized factories to produce the kit else everyone will have massive factories and few customers. 

Which is why the plan we actually had was to have warehouses full of cheap kit, the downside is we did not plan for as aggressive a virus. 

Health is a devolved issue so not only did previous Labour governments not build up enough stock neither did any of the devolved health services. 

I’m very aware of the high skill top end manufacturing as I work in it every day. What I have found is that as the parts get outsourced to cheaper and less skilled places you get less reliable and useless parts. When we made parts in our facility we had less turnover of parts and more control over small changes. Also the chain breaks down easily due to circumstances outside of your control plus all the communication problems.

Despite all the brilliant minds and clever people running it they never had the foresight to realise going around the world exploiting other countries and making people work in sweat shops isn’t a long term strategy and is very volatile. 

We should never have completely shut down resources like mining, steel production, basic material manufacture just because it was slightly cheaper to do it elsewhere. The high end fancy production has now completely fallen on its arse because we can’t make the basic parts. Now they are making parts for ventilators, I’m guessing they will struggle for parts until China reopens.

The uk put manufacturing in the bucket in favour of the service industry and banking and is now paying the price.

No - but it fits the pattern. He's shown me WhatsApp messages from care workers all around the West of Scotland with similar stories. One Care Home was still letting in regular visits up to Tuesday 8th April until the Police visited after one of the carers reported it (having been ignored by management)

That’s really awful. My dad is in a care home In Dumfries and Galloway. I’m fortunate to know one of the staff as a friend and in that setting the management have been absolutely top class. Hugely supportive of staff, had procedures and equipment in good time as this situation was in it’s early stages and have been absolutely resolute in application of no visitors other than for genuinely urgent medical or nursing need. They’ve set up opportunity to chat to family by FaceTime or other means. Only one setting but I’ve been hugely impressed. I imagine loads of places are doing their absolute best for staff and residents. Less newsworthy of course.

Just to add this is not a dig at anyone bringing up concerns in this sector and to acknowledge that there have been widespread huge problems in care homes. Care home workers and residents have been let down greatly.

58 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

In late February, Hokkaido became the first place in Japan to declare a state of emergency due to Covid-19. But now, just 26 days after the state of emergency was lifted, a new one has had to be imposed.

Wonder how Spain will be a month from now. 

People keep asking for an exit strategy 🤷‍♂️

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52305055

Japan is an interesting contrast to Spain / Italy.

It locked down very early and had very low cases / deaths per day for a prolongued period as a result. It could be that by limiting initial exposure, and then not completely eradicating the virus, their strategy merely delayed the inevitable rather than prevented it, as would be asymptomatic carriers were not exposed to the virus until much later.

Spain, on the other hand, clearly did not limit exposure early on, and therefore should, in theory, have a much higher percentage of the population already exposed and immune to the virus, which will limit its future ability to spread.

That, of course, assumes that people are indeed immune to the virus after initial infection, at least for some period.