Coronavirus (COVID-19)

24 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

That's comparing apples and wheelbarrows though. 

I genuinely struggle to understand some of the hysteria around this. Death is obviously a terrible thing for families/friends/acquaintances to experience, but I don't see why as a society we see a given number of covid-19 deaths in a given group of people as being something of far greater concern than other, equally avoidable deaths. 

6 minutes ago, Snafu said:

A dick with issues wrote that.

News from Latin America is medical staff are in mortal danger from the general public.

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Westminster Bridge fury as "idiots" ignore 2m rule during NHS Clap For Carers outside hospital

Solicitor Aamer Anwar wrote on Twitter: "We’ve seen officers wrongly applying #COVID19 laws, shouting in faces ‘you’re killing people’, use drones, no yoga or park benches, yet here @metpoliceuk don’t apply laws on #SocialDistancing at WM Bridge as people clap NHS who say #StayHomeStayLives.

"Public gatherings of only 2, some of us haven’t seen our parents in weeks, our children not at schools, nearly 14,000 dead as @metpoliceuk allow this madness on Westminster Bridge."

Another person added: "I actually can’t get over these videos from Westminster Bridge tonight.

"The fact that the POLICE are the ones doing it.

"So, if I was to invite family round for a BBQ, the police could come and break it up, but if I go to Westminster Bridge on a Thursday at 8pm to clap, all good."

0_Westminster-bridge.jpg

The public who gathered on the bridge have been dubbed "idiots"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/westminster-bridge-fury-idiots-ignore-21881637

If anything sums up the “Great British Public” it is this event and this photo.  I was going to post a diatribe but what’s the fucking point.

The level of emotional repression on this forum is weird. 
Any public displays of empathy, warmth or fear are jumped on with sneering, mocking, contempt and aggressive hostility. 
I know Scottish people have a reputation like many north west Europeans for being stoic or outright emotionally retrograde, but its on another level here given its the 2020s. For example any time a celebrity or famous person dies the forum is chock full of people mocking people expressing public grief, belittling it and going on about Diana syndrome. There is zero tolerance for any expressing of grief  beyond immediate family members. 
Then there is the inevitable mocking and sneering when there is a public tragedy or terrorist outrage. Again any signs of showing solidarity with the victims is attacked, the threads fill up with mocking "I went to empty the bins it could have been me" type posts. Normal humans (i.e. not you lot) will express their anxieties to each other at something as random as a bus crash to fatal terrorist attack; this will include expressing worries that it could have been them or their feelings of empathy with the victims. The emotional cripples here seem to live with the terror someone will expect them to reciprocate and emotionally bond with them. I guess its in part your insecure masculinity. 
Charity events: someone random gets in the news raising money. Its like they are digging up your grandmothers graves! As soon as there is a public outpouring of emotions for someone doing something the bullies are out and trying too belittle anyone support it is, well its a very sad window into your broken souls. (See the old boy whos walk raised money)
And now the clap for carers. Again any display of public emotion and you all explode into belittle, sneering, bullying and hate. 
Which brings me to the only emotions you ever allow yourselves to express, hate, anger, desire for violence, vengeance. Where you do express something resembling sympathy for someone, its usually simply as a pretext for anger and hate. So for example you will say something about the homeless then use that as a jump off point for how much you want to hurt\murder or just hate tories\Scottish Labour\English "gammons" or what ever. 
As a group hurtling towards your 50s at a fair rate of knots, you are for the most part, emotionally still about 13 years old. 
:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, dorlomin said:

Any public displays of empathy, warmth or fear are jumped on with sneering, mocking, contempt and aggressive hostility. 

I know Scottish people have a reputation like many north west Europeans for being stoic or outright emotionally retrograde, but its on another level here given its the 2020s. For example any time a celebrity or famous person dies the forum is chock full of people mocking people expressing public grief, belittling it and going on about Diana syndrome. There is zero tolerance for any expressing of grief  beyond immediate family members. 

Then there is the inevitable mocking and sneering when there is a public tragedy or terrorist outrage. Again any signs of showing solidarity with the victims is attacked, the threads fill up with mocking "I went to empty the bins it could have been me" type posts. Normal humans (i.e. not you lot) will express their anxieties to each other at something as random as a bus crash to fatal terrorist attack; this will include expressing worries that it could have been them or their feelings of empathy with the victims. The emotional cripples here seem to live with the terror someone will expect them to reciprocate and emotionally bond with them. I guess its in part your insecure masculinity. 

Charity events: someone random gets in the news raising money. Its like they are digging up your grandmothers graves! As soon as there is a public outpouring of emotions for someone doing something the bullies are out and trying too belittle anyone support it is, well its a very sad window into your broken souls. (See the old boy whos walk raised money)

And now the clap for carers. Again any display of public emotion and you all explode into belittle, sneering, bullying and hate. 

Which brings me to the only emotions you ever allow yourselves to express, hate, anger, desire for violence, vengeance. Where you do express something resembling sympathy for someone, its usually simply as a pretext for anger and hate. So for example you will say something about the homeless then use that as a jump off point for how much you want to hurt\murder or just hate tories\Scottish Labour\English "gammons" or what ever. 

As a group hurtling towards your 50s at a fair rate of knots, you are for the most part, emotionally still about 13 years old. 

Your point being?

"Hurtling towards my 50s...I fucking wish!

4 minutes ago, bendan said:

I genuinely struggle to understand some of the hysteria around this. Death is obviously a terrible thing for families/friends/acquaintances to experience, but I don't see why as a society we see a given number of covid-19 deaths in a given group of people as being something of far greater concern than other, equally avoidable deaths. 

I'm certainly not hysterical, your posting in a knowledgeable manner whilst showing as little grasp as VT, don't know if you're coming at this from some sort of political angle or not but it feels like it. 

Where would all these lovely graphs from ONS have been if we didn't encourage social distancing and introduce our lockdown, IMO it's better to overestimate than underestimate with this particular virus. 

It struck me as fishy that it ran to the bank holiday. There will be a reason for it. 
The lockdown came in on the Monday, not quite sure they waited to yesterday to announce another three weeks. 
16th April was the date specifically mentioned for a review in the emergency legislation that was passed.

I happened to be up a hill “in” town when it was 8pm, it’s a decent sized hill and I could still hear horns and pots and pans being hit. Wonder if it can be heard in space...
You say that...

https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/india-news-fact-check-nasa-satellite-didnt-show-coronavirus-retreat-in-india-due-to-5-pm-clapping/349276

28 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Holier than thou twats who should mind their own business or someone looking for social media likes.

You can never tell nowadays. 

2 hours ago, dorlomin said:

Westminster Bridge fury as "idiots" ignore 2m rule during NHS Clap For Carers outside hospital
Solicitor Aamer Anwar wrote on Twitter: "We’ve seen officers wrongly applying #COVID19 laws, shouting in faces ‘you’re killing people’, use drones, no yoga or park benches, yet here @metpoliceuk don’t apply laws on #SocialDistancing at WM Bridge as people clap NHS who say #StayHomeStayLives.
"Public gatherings of only 2, some of us haven’t seen our parents in weeks, our children not at schools, nearly 14,000 dead as @metpoliceuk allow this madness on Westminster Bridge."
Another person added: "I actually can’t get over these videos from Westminster Bridge tonight.
"So, if I was to invite family round for a BBQ, the police could come and break it up, but if I go to Westminster Bridge on a Thursday at 8pm to clap, all good."
0_Westminster-bridge.jpg&key=4409c1d0539f3c131f47b5edb66d53a124fded1f41f43cca1b70cce28c1a613b The public who gathered on the bridge have been dubbed "idiots"
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/westminster-bridge-fury-idiots-ignore-21881637

I was shocked to see Aamer Anwar being critical of a small group of police officers and implying that all of them are doing the same thing, absolutely shocked.

Perhaps we're all simply less gullible than many in the UK, and we can see right through the current curtain of deception.

We do grieve loss, personally and collectively, but the average Scot has a sense of the fitness of things and we don't need politicians, celebrities, broadcasters and God forbid, the gilded freakshow of The House of Windsor to assist us in that process, let alone touch-feely television appeals.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

0_Westminster-bridge.jpg

The public who gathered on the bridge have been dubbed "idiots"

Hardly seems fair that they should be recognised before old Tom. Still I suppose Sir Idiot has a certain ring to it. Incidentally, old Tom should be promote to Major Tom.