Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Then he should leave the discussion to those of us who are...

He’s the only one I regularly see making lots of pronouncements about what will and will not limit the spread of the virus, whether lockdown is wise, when lockdown should end, etc which differ widely from those you read or hear from more qualified people.

I recall when Cheltenham was going on, Rangers were playing Leverkusen and event after event was taking place at the Hydro people questioning the wisdom given we were following Italy so closely, but Todd has today decreed it would not have made any difference and no-one was bothered at the time. I’ve pointed out his obsession with downplaying before but it was odd this morning to see the downplaying being applied retrospectively even after the predicted growth occurred.

On 03/05/2020 at 09:23, Snafu said:

Costa and Starbucks open for drive thru only. We really have low standards when it comes to quality coffee.

Which is cheaper a cup of Costa coffee or a cup of fuel?

1_JS211364916.jpg

Hillington, Glasgow.

Hold the phone; there's a Denny's in Scotland?  :o

I haven't been this excited since they opened a Taco Bell in Glasgow!

12 hours ago, Turkmenbashi said:

There is only going to be an end to the lockdown once a plan is actually in place to stop a second peek. It's all very well getting deaths down towards zero, but we have reliable test + trace, Poe and face masks for the public that is when something resembling normality canterirb

Was the first look at this virus not enough?

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

My elder son has done online food shopping for ages, I’m put off by things like choosing cuts of meat, getting decent vegetables/fruit and some sell by/use by date issues.  I also like browsing wines to see if anything catches my eye.

Don't enjoy food shopping but see it as a necessary evil, I’m put off by folk in supermarkets who like they’re there for a day out.

Use your local butcher and trust him to know what he's selling you.

I can see why locking down ahead of the rest of the UK may have been politically difficult, but that’s then ultimately a political decision not to. And it’s on that which the Scottish Government should be judged. 
When it comes to testing rates and availability of PPE (particularly in care home settings), the criticisms apply to both governments. That’s not to mention additional factors in Scotland like the cancellation of social care packages for a lot of disabled and older people in Scotland (as a result of the underpreparedness for this), which is a direct result of years of chronic underfunding of local authorities on the part of the Scottish Government (underfunding that, yes, was partially due to austerity implemented by the UK Government but largely a political decision of the Scottish Government). 
The inability of some independence supporters to see past ‘Scottish Government good, UK Government bad’ is exactly why winning 50.01% of an independence vote will be nigh on impossible. 
Your last paragraph is true for a number of people, but it will be less than you imagine. As for Scottish independence, you will be aware that one of the Brexit sub-plots and one which is currently being played out via the 'all in this together' mantra of the current pandemic is the process of drawing back absolute power to Westminster. I suggest you follow the words of Michael Gove very closely over the coming months - never mind independence, the maintaining of the devolved Governments could be a huge challenge.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

My elder son has done online food shopping for ages, I’m put off by things like choosing cuts of meat, getting decent vegetables/fruit and some sell by/use by date issues.  I also like browsing wines to see if anything catches my eye.

Don't enjoy food shopping but see it as a necessary evil, I’m put off by folk in supermarkets who like they’re there for a day out.

You've met my wife, then?

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I think that was the most predictable thing here. 2m is just unworkable, in so many regards.

People are naturallly going to keep now distance from others for a long, long time - but trying to keep a strict 2m coming out of this creates too many big issues (especially in schools).

It's a bit like hand-washing, in the sense that I'm hoping (surely to f**k) that people now wash their hands more regularly, and more effectively.

I've been a smug b*****d all along as i had to pass a hand washing test (yes this is a thing) when i was trained to use my iv feed every night (tpn feeding it's called, and it comes with high infection risks).

I reckon I've had the cleanest hands in dundee for 2 years (insert easy joke here).
Interesting.

In what way have they fucked it up? I think sturgeon has been outstanding, and generally I've not read many attacks (other than the shite one about getting the message out earlier to show up wm).

I spoke to my consultant at ninewells who told me nhs Tayside had done very well in their preparations, and he was certainly impressed of the handling of it all.

Being good at the rhetoric is a lot different from being good at the actual public health response. She’s great in a press conference, I’ll give her that. But just like Prof. Jason Leitch, too often the slick communication masks enormous failure. 

I’m not going to list the ways the response has been cack-handed (primarily because I can’t be arsed) but if you accept the criticism of the UK Government (lack of preparedness; initial belief in herd immunity; locking down too late; lack of PPE for key workers, especially those in care homes; lack of testing) then all of these also apply to the Scottish Government.

There might be a Saltire on her lectern at the press conference but it’s still been exactly the same strategy as the UK Government throughout. 

Edited by VladimirMooc

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
2 hours ago, VladimirMooc said:
I can see why locking down ahead of the rest of the UK may have been politically difficult, but that’s then ultimately a political decision not to. And it’s on that which the Scottish Government should be judged. 
When it comes to testing rates and availability of PPE (particularly in care home settings), the criticisms apply to both governments. That’s not to mention additional factors in Scotland like the cancellation of social care packages for a lot of disabled and older people in Scotland (as a result of the underpreparedness for this), which is a direct result of years of chronic underfunding of local authorities on the part of the Scottish Government (underfunding that, yes, was partially due to austerity implemented by the UK Government but largely a political decision of the Scottish Government). 
The inability of some independence supporters to see past ‘Scottish Government good, UK Government bad’ is exactly why winning 50.01% of an independence vote will be nigh on impossible. 

Your last paragraph is true for a number of people, but it will be less than you imagine. As for Scottish independence, you will be aware that one of the Brexit sub-plots and one which is currently being played out via the 'all in this together' mantra of the current pandemic is the process of drawing back absolute power to Westminster. I suggest you follow the words of Michael Gove very closely over the coming months - never mind independence, the maintaining of the devolved Governments could be a huge challenge.

The notion that the UK Government is going to abolish devolution (which appears to be what you’re suggesting?) is utter nonsense, and I suggest you read less Wings Over Scotland if you genuinely believe that to be true. 

Impossible in my office to socially distance.

However it has been shown that we can work from home fine. Can do absolutely everything we need to at home. There is zero need to be in the office.

Sadly we will have to go back at some point. I desperately want out but not a good time to be looking for a new job due to so many places putting freezes on hiring. Hate office working but unless I want to work in a supermarket, I don't have any options.

46 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm sure we'll cope with you missing out on your morning w**k.

I never watch him live I just catch up with it on twitter later in the day.

The notion that the UK Government is going to abolish devolution (which appears to be what you’re suggesting?) is utter nonsense, and I suggest you read less Wings Over Scotland if you genuinely believe that to be true. 
I wish I had your conviction, if not your condescending tone, and for the record I don't read Wings - I can arrive at my own judgements.

2 hours ago, Lofarl said:

If anything they will use VE Day as an excuse to end the lockdown and get the economy moving again.  Our brave boys wouldn’t have let a cough stop them.

I'm ptting it out there now - we* will have a significant second peak, and it will be traceable back to the VE-Day BH. The chances that the kind of buffoons who are buying into the wartime analogies are going to let something as annoying as current guidelines prevent them from having a good ol' knees-up are pretty slim, imho. I keep a pretty close rein on what appears on my FB feed, but there's a significant amount of leakage on this subject - mostly around arranging parties and "what we can get away with".

* Talking about England /Yorkshire here, obviously. I'd hope that, other than select areas of Ayshire and Lanarkshire, the effect should be demonstrably less in Scotland.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

I haven't stopped working since the lockdown and have noticed that social distancing has gradually eroded in our small team, its impossible to train someone or work on a machine with assistance outside the advised 2m. Outside the working areas, there is a more conscious effort to keep distance, its easier.

We are already under pressure due to demand for our product, last week was a nightmare, exhausting. Everyone is pissed off that while we work our socks off, meet our targets while under staffed but yet we got told no annual pay rise. Demoralising. I guess that this will be the same for many work places still running and those who will have to hit the ground running when they start up again. Its going to be chaos.

Going by yesterday's rumours on when Primary Schools will be open since they are likely to open first that would mean the beginning of June would be the time when the first steps of the lockdown relaxing will begin, that makes sense. That would be based on infection rate predictions of course.

Do you work in the Public Sector, at all? I've been working since lockdown, just a week or so wfh while they decided what to do with us in the HS&F function. Since then, it's a daily tour of the Prison to ensure guidelines are being followed - well' they were yesterday, they are today and I'm willing to bet they will be tomorrow. No other assessment requires a daily - fucking DAILY - review, yet it's not seen that me crossing into the Jail on a daily basis is a risk worth assessing for the 700+ residents. Because we (staff) are the risk to prisoners, not the other way around - at least until the bug gets a foothold, which may well be happening as I type this. We just won't, indeed can't, know until it surfaces after what, a week of infections?

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

You don't agree with the lockdown or the length of the lockdown?

I absolutely do.

I also see through the Tories desperate attempts to appease their gammon base by stirring up a bit of Jingoism every time they have a bit of bad news to drop.

45 minutes ago, The OP said:

I recall when Cheltenham was going on, Rangers were playing Leverkusen and event after event was taking place at the Hydro people questioning the wisdom given we were following Italy so closely

And yet, weeks later, all anyone speaks of is Cheltenham.

I said it is unlikely Cheltenham had a greater impact on the spread than any other single event, or going to work, or going to bars and restaurants. All things that didn't raise a single eyebrow on the morning of the 10th of March.

The government themselves noted that prohibiting large gatherings would be relatively ineffective at limiting the spread.

Why then, does it get all the attention?

No one was asking for a lock down with 300 cases and 9 deaths. Cancelling that one event would have made little to no difference in isolation.

As more and more is learned about the true number of infections and spread of this virus in the years ahead, I would not be at all surprised to find that the actual impact of the lockdown was much less than it currently appears.

Edited by Todd_is_God

My missus is getting tested for Covid today @ the glasgow airport site.

She works in Social Care/Respite and hasn't been feeling good for a couple of days, headache, sore throat, aches, chills. No loss of appetite or fever though.

I'm hoping it's just a general lurgy, as she has underlying health problems & takes a fair amount of medication daily.