Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
11 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I heard it said once that the British had a tendency to lose every battle in a war except the decisive last one.
Britain also relied on the help of other allies in most of their major wars. So I might celebrate VE Day by flying the Hammer and Sickle and singing the Red Flag in honour of the nation that actually won the war in Europe.

Britain's contribution in the second half of the war was mainly to act as the USA's biggest ever aircraft carrier.

If Britain hadn't held out I doubt the Americans would have got involved in Europe, and if Germany had won in North Africa and got access to Middle Eastern oil supplies they might not have destroyed themselves in Russia.

3 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Shulepov "is a victim of an accident due to his own lack of caution"

Lack of caution in criticising the regime.

"It is rare for doctors to fall from windows in Russia"

Or anywhere else, I'd think.

If they reduce the furlough payment to 60% then the UK is well and truly going to be fucked for the next generation, mortgage companies, car finance companies, loans and credit cards won’t keep deferring payments. They can only reduce it when it’s safe for the majority of businesses to go back to work.

If Johnson had any dignity he’d stand down once this crisis is over but he’s such a fat lazy b*****d he’d probably forget to sign his own resignation letter.

/\ heads well and Truly gonex

Just now, mizfit said:

If they reduce the furlough payment to 60% then the UK is well and truly going to be fucked for the next generation, mortgage companies, car finance companies, loans and credit cards won’t keep deferring payments. They can only reduce it when it’s safe for the majority of businesses to go back to work.

If Johnson had any dignity he’d stand down once this crisis is over but he’s such a fat lazy b*****d he’d probably forget to sign his own resignation letter.

/\ heads well and Truly gonex

They are talking about changing the scheme from July. We've not even heard what the plan is for easing restrictions later this month. I would be surprised if any businesses (except maybe pubs) are still ordered to close on July 1st.

If nothing else it will give businesses the confidence the scheme won't end on June 30th, and start giving people notice of redundancy soon.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

It seems like there's a correlation between having a right wing government and getting absolutely hammered by this virus. 

Would the loony left have nationalised sausages? If so then this is probably worth it imo.

I don't think there is.

Here's a graph indicating the differences in death rates around Europe.  It's a couple of weeks out of date but I don't think that the trends will hav echanged dramatically since then.

Of the countries in red, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Poland, Croatia, Serbia, Czech Republic, Hungary, North Macedonia, Romania and Slovenia all have governments that could be described as right-wing.  Some people might call them populist or nationalist but I think that right-wing is a fair description.  Of the blue countries, Austria, the Netherlands, the UK, and Italy all have governments on the right, some with coalition partners who aren't on the right but the main parties are on the right.  I think you could fairly call the government in France a centrist government.

Germany has a coalition government between the Christian Democrats and Social Democrats.  Denmark, Portugal, Sweden and Spain have left of centre governments, to varying degrees.

Edited by ICTChris

This, every day of the fucking week.  Remember when Dishi Rishi first appeared and announced the magic money tree had been shaken and folk were literally creaming their knickers and shouting “ohh he can be the next PM”, “he’s very good”, “statesmanlike”.
Cut him open and he bleeds fraud, greed, hatred of the poor and elderly, just like the rest of the #torycunts.
This is almost word for word the reaction I got off of someone I had previously considered to be politically sensible.

Embarrassing stuff. Went along with claims that you "cant say the tories dont care about the working class now" and other inane shite.

The sort of content that does serve one purpose, in that you then know who is totally and irreversibly blind and therefore it's pointless showing them to the light.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

America heading for 25k new infections and 3k deaths per day and they decide it's a good time to start winding down the coronavirus task force.

Is that model not from the same place that said we'd be looking at 3k deaths per day in mid April and 90,000 total deaths by the middle of this month about 2 days before we hit our peak? Even adding on the care home deaths that weren't on our figures at the time we were never anywhere near that.

The US looks like it's in that plateua stage that lasts a few weeks. It isn't currently showing any signs of shooting rapidly upward.

This might seem a stupid question, but I dont give a f**k tbh.

Outside of the population building "herd immunity" is there any mechanism by which a virus can just sort of peter out?

I have read about mutations that can actually weaken it/make it less contagious, but that they are unsure of how covid is mutating. Is mass infection and immunity the only way, or can some virus mutate themselves out of viability? I assume this must be possible otherwise we'd surely have been ripped apart by viruses long before now?

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Outside of the population building "herd immunity" is there any mechanism by which a virus can just sort of peter out?

I have read about mutations that can actually weaken it/make it less contagious, but that they are unsure of how covid is mutating. Is mass infection and immunity the only way, or can some virus mutate themselves out of viability? I assume this must be possible otherwise we'd surely have been ripped apart by viruses long before now?

You can suppress the virus out of existence by the measures that have been discussed during this outbreak - isolating anyone who is contagious until they test negative, extensive lockdowns etc.  It's what suppressed the previous SARS outbreak and the outbreaks of MERS that we've seen in various countries.  

Of course, that would be very difficult to acheive and would probably require extreme measures, given that this virus seems to be far more contagious than either of those and is now far more widespread.  

12 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Inverclyde apparently has more deaths from covid than the entirety of Australia.

I blame that greedy fat f**k Ian Ellis for opening Cheers in the midst of it all kicking off. Probably Inverclyde’s epicentre.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

You can suppress the virus out of existence by the measures that have been discussed during this outbreak - isolating anyone who is contagious until they test negative, extensive lockdowns etc.  It's what suppressed the previous SARS outbreak and the outbreaks of MERS that we've seen in various countries.  

Of course, that would be very difficult to acheive and would probably require extreme measures, given that this virus seems to be far more contagious than either of those and is now far more widespread.  

No I meant leaving those measures aside, is there any natural mechanism within viruses where they burnt out eventually, or would a virus like covid theoretically be with us forever/until herd immunity was reached had we not taken steps to halt it? 

Just now, ICTChris said:

You can suppress the virus out of existence by the measures that have been discussed during this outbreak

Of course, that would be very difficult to acheive and would probably require extreme measures

It's surely no coincidence that the countries which had a proper lockdown were able to do this, though?

There was no reason to allow people to go outside to avoid hurting their feelings.

The lockdown here was a joke, designed to save money. It'll end up costing more in the long run.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That's what happened to SARS 1, and the Spanish Flu although it came back occasionally as inferior tribute acts. That's the problem about developing vaccines, by the time you've invested billions in testing and stepping up production the target's wilted away.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, Bairnardo said:

No I meant leaving those measures aside, is there any natural mechanism within viruses where they burnt out eventually, or would a virus like covid theoretically be with us forever/until herd immunity was reached had we not taken steps to halt it? 

I guess it would depend on how quickly people died from it or if they died.  But if there was a virus that killed all that in infected and we took no measures I suppose everyone would eventually die from it.  

That's what happened to SARS 1, and the Spanish Flu although it came back occasionally as inferior tribute acts.
If America, for example, dont spike up again, youd have to think it's at least partly down to what the virus itself is doing, since Donny doesnt seem to be interested in keeping any measures in place.

You might even say the same for us here given the soft touch, late lockdown and the apparently increasing lack of lockdown adherence.

What I am wondering really is how much of a part blind luck is playing in the suppression of the virus.