Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Any chance you could put in a word for me to get funded for a few million? I have a kind of a hunch, based on, well, there's a bottle in our FA cabinet, that Calpol might be the answer.

I'll have some results by the end of the summer.

Honest.

I'd actually say it would be a good idea for the government to have some stocks of Calpol, given the way a lot of OTC medicine suddenly became unavailable in March.

I wonder what you'd have said if they'd bought a boat load of PPE and ventilators in January.

3 minutes ago, bendan said:

I'd actually say it would be a good idea for the government to have some stocks of Calpol, given the way a lot of OTC medicine suddenly became unavailable in March.

I wonder what you'd have said if they'd bought a boat load of PPE and ventilators in January.

I'd have said they were acting on the findings of exercise Cygnus - albeit almost four years late.

4 minutes ago, bendan said:

Are you seriously comparing buying proven protective life saving medical equipment with unproven potentially highly dangerous/unproven lethal drugs? 

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I'd have said they were acting on the findings of exercise Cygnus - albeit almost four years late.

No, you'd have been in a purple-faced rage about the government giving money to 'their mates' in big business while people rely on food banks.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Are you seriously comparing buying proven protective life saving medical equipment with unproven potentially highly dangerous/unproven lethal drugs? 

No, I'm comparing buying PPE and ventilators to buying medicine in situations where we have no idea whether we'll need them or not 

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Buying a load of malaria tablets because a fat orange racist says he’s taking it isn’t funding research.

No, you're right, it's not.

Just now, bendan said:

No, I'm comparing buying PPE and ventilators to buying medicine in situations where we have no idea whether we'll need them or not 

The narratives around PPE/ventilators and and unproven drug are completely different here as well you know.

1 minute ago, bendan said:

That's mental. Where do you stop with buying unproven medicines then just in case they might work in the future?

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The narratives around PPE/ventilators and and unproven drug are completely different here as well you know.

We're spending loads of money on various medicines/potential vaccines at the moment that we wouldn't do in normal circumstances. I'd much rather we do that than adopt a wait and see approach. 

7 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

That's mental. Where do you stop with buying unproven medicines then just in case they might work in the future?

In a pandemic that is ripping your economy and society to bits, you should be going further than in normal circumstances. I can only assume you think 35million is a lot of money in terms of UK spending.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Could be worth getting a stash in for people who need it for Lupus or Malaria in case fuckwit Americans buy it all up. 

Too late brazil is buying as much as it can....its "jair,s" latest brainwave as trump is about to put a travel ban in place on brazil 

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Could be worth getting a stash in for people who need it for Lupus or Malaria etc in case fuckwit Americans buy it all up. 

Exactly. We've been rightly complaining about them twiddling their thumbs from Jan to March, now we're raging that they're not just waiting to see what develops.

15 minutes ago, bendan said:

In a pandemic that is ripping your economy and society to bits, you should be going further than in normal circumstances. I can only assume you think 35million is a lot of money in terms of UK spending.

For something that is useless, yes. 

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

For something that is useless, yes. 

But as has been said, it is proven in the treatment of lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, as well as in the treatment and prevention of malaria. Trump being an arse doesn't change that.

31 minutes ago, bendan said:

Aye, 35 million barely covers the stationary on some Whitehall projects.